Fiat 500 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts

Using the CA rebate and the SCE $1k, you can get a bolt for $22,500 (not including taxes). Which isn't too bad. On paper the Bolt and the Kona are similar. Kona might be a better car, not sure, but I don't think it is $5k better if you don't mind the appearance of the Bolt. I still haven't seen anything less expensive than the Bolt with liquid cooling that gets well over 200 miles of range.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Ya, for about $1k more than an eKona you could get a Bolt AND a used 500e!

Still, eKona has 10y/100k warranty on the entire vehicle (not just the HV batt) & comes std with DC charging, so I wonder how much a Bolt is with that option added. A friend has a gas Kona, which got at least one "vehicle of the year" award, so not surprised it is awfully nice except for scaring ME every time I pull out to pass, since its delay is like most gas cars. I liked her eGolf better, but when its 3-year warranty ran out the eKona was going for $5k over list, so she's been shopping for one ever since, which is why I had the pricing.

It seems to me that that the bigger the battery, the less important water cooling is, since there's less heating current going in/out of each cell. Also easier to maintain larger SOC buffers to increase longevity (bigger-battery Leafs have more of that built in).

·
Registered
70 Posts
I own a previous gen Juicebox- the orange/black rectangular model that plugs in directly to a NEMA-14-50P outlet. On mine I use a dryer adapter (220V) but I've also used a 110V outlet adapter. Both work just fine with adapters in my testing. That means you can use that EVSE with any household outlet. The 110V adapter restores about 4% charge an hour (approx the same as the stock EVSE) while the 220V adapter restores about 20% an hour. They sell adapters on Amazon. Unfortunately I don't have a NEMA-14-50P outlet to test with but I assume it is a little faster than 220V.

Recently Juicebox came out with a new improved model including some new additional functionality (cord wrapper and handle lock) and also the unit is significantly smaller than the previous version which is always good to see in terms of innovation. Their warranty is good- I've used it on one occasion and the replacement process was painless.

If you're serious about buying a more advanced EVSE I would suggest buying a plug-in model so that you can unplug it when it's not in-use. There's no obvious drawbacks to leaving it unplugged, other than it takes a minute to reconnect to Wifi. The direct-wired models are always vulnerable to storms and electrical surges. Plug-in models are also vulnerable but you can technically unplug them when not in-use which reduces risk considerably. Also if you have to replace the EVSE under warranty it will be that much more difficult to remove and replace a direct-wired model.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Little late to the party.

In short: 500e is my daily, the i3 REX is my roadtrip/hauler car.

I was comfortable with driving it just about anywhere prior to EA's network expansion, now its a breeze with much less gas being used.

The hold state of charge feature was its biggest selling point for me.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
368 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something, or didn't explain it well, but I'm not limited in any way. Neither me nor the average person is going to sit around waiting to charge*, but we don't need to, since it will fully recharge while we sleep (or work), & then drive over 2 times as far as "average". Certainly it won't work for someone who can't charge at home OR work, or "routinely has 150 mile days" (unless maybe they have L2 at home AND work), or for someone who would be "at 2%" (drove over double the daily average since breakfast!) & might then need to drive across town, but I don't think either of those is "average", HOWEVER...

Maybe my impression of "average" is incorrect. Nearly everyone I know has a pretty strict weekday schedule: To work & back, maybe a few extra miles for kids school, maybe a few for lunch, & maybe a few for evenings out. Then 8 hours minimum at home to sleep. After 5 days of that, even on weekends they don't often feel like driving more than 80 miles/day & are still home at least 8 hours to sleep. Total of about 15,000 miles/year (41 mi/day), which is the national avg. Again, it won't work for the great many minority cases who periodically need to go much further as noted above, but again, I don't THINK that's "average", although I certainly could be wrong.

* I just stop at public chargers once in a while when I'd rather sit online there, than at home.
I’m one of those who rack up 25k avg miles a year and frankly the 500e has been fine for it in the 3 months I’ve used it to go back and forth and errands in between. And I only use level 1 EVSE. I charge when I get home it’s full by morning then after my 36 mile freeway commute and 11hr day at work it fully charged again. I can see it not working well for some but for me works great and plus I now have carpool access on both freeway I use. Win win for me. The only time I was in a pinch was driving almost 100 miles of errands and barely made it home.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Well THAT makes it cheaper! Unless the rebate also applied to Open or JuiceBox.
How much did you pay for it , how you like it?
$699 from Amazon using Amazon gift cards that I got a 10% discount on. So about $630. I really like the ChargePoint Home Flex. My utility company rebate was only available for a ChargePoint branded EVSE as they are monitoring usage patterns for future policies regarding EV charging.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
I'm pretty sure JuiceBox & Open have the same monitoring capability, so it's likely worth re-checking right before purchase, to see if your local utility has approved them yet.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
368 Posts
I found a Siemens 30 amp Versicharger L2 charger on Craigslist for $150. Anyone have any experience with this unit?

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
I guess not, but as you know, 30A would max out a 500e's 6.6kW charging speed limit, adding about 25 miles per hour (full charge from zero in about 4 hours).

·
Registered
368 Posts
I just used a public charger by a company called “Greenlots” charger rated for 7.2kw I plugged in at 49% SOC and the dang thing charged it up to full in 1hr 40min hows that possible when it slows down after 90%. According to the app it was charging full speed until 95% where it dropped to 5.1kw then messaged me it stopped.

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Well my last statement wasn't 100% accurate, since I saw mine show 6.9kW once. That might be from a current limit that allows more power when available voltage is a bit higher (W=VxA).

Also the Fiat % gauge often reads low when in the mid-to-low range, so you likely started at over 50%.

·
Registered
368 Posts
It had to be fairly accurate as it says it used up 12.92kw which seems right in line with 50% charge (provided a small loss in efficiency)

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Loss might not be so "small":

It's pretty easy to feel how hot the onboard charger gets, with your motor cover popped off. L2 heats mine so much I can barely keep my hand on it.

Creating that much heat takes quite a bit of energy, especially considering it's also heating all the water in one of the cooling systems.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Loss might not be so "small":

It's pretty easy to feel how hot the onboard charger gets, with your motor cover popped off. L2 heats mine so much I can barely keep my hand on it.

Creating that much heat takes quite a bit of energy, especially considering it's also heating all the water in one of the cooling systems.
That's really odd as mine is barely warm and it seems same warmth using L2 or 1 it's basically no hotter then the lid on mash potatoes from Popeyes lol. You are talking about that square box with the orange sticker that says don't touch high voltage north of the 12v battery right? That thing doesn't get that hot at all.

·
Registered
368 Posts
That’s the inverter. I only felt that one hot after driving, not during a charge.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
LOL: I only felt that one hot while charging, not after driving!

Whatever it is, it gets pretty hot while charging, wasting a lot of energy.

·
Registered
368 Posts
It just happens I was cleaning it after driving and noticed the water smear from my rag would almost evaporate instantly.

61 - 80 of 81 Posts