Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed the chrome mirror covers on my 500. When I bought them, my local dealership gave me a fairly strenuous warning that I shouldn't do it myself. They said it was easy to break the mirror and that I would be better off paying them $50 to do it. The covers themselves cost $40 so that would be a total of $90. That's a bit steep, IMHO. So I decided to risk it and I'm glad I did. It was super easy.

First step is to point the mirrors as far down as you can. Then you take a thin flathead screwdriver and slide it behind the mirror to pry off the mirror from the housing. It came off pretty easily, and I think you would have to be rather careless or very unlucky to break the mirror doing this, despite my dealer's warnings. Next you have to disconnect the heater wires from the mirror. These wires have a very simple connector that slides on and off easily. Now the mirror is completely free.

Next step is to remove the existing body-colored cover. The instructions said something about using front end clippers to trim down some plastic, but I didn't find this was necessary at all, so I skipped it. Using the same screwdriver, all you have to do is push four little plastic tabs out of their slots until the cover is able to slide free. Now the only thing attached to the car is the black plastic part of the housing. Then you just snap in the new cover in the same slots the old one used. It takes a bit of care to be sure all the tabs and slots are lined up properly, but it really is a perfect fit.

To reattach the mirror, first reconnect the heater wires, then just snap it back into place. You can feel it slip into the right spot. I double checked that it was right by adjusting the power mirrors. Everything worked perfectly and it looked great.

Total time for the swap was less than 15 minutes. The first mirror took between 5 and 10 minutes, and most of that time was spent reading and rereading the instructions. The second one took less than 5 minutes. A quick pass with some glass cleaner to remove all my fingerprints and I was done.

Moral of the story is, don't be scared into paying the dealership to do this simple install. It really was a breeze, and there's a nice feeling of pride that goes along with doing it yourself.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Be nice to see it not so close up but I am not a big fan of chrome, even thought about taking the car to paint shop and having every interior and exterior part done in gunmetal or maybe black chrome, if I ever do that would be way down the road cause the way that Fiat did the 500 looks classy and not over the top so I am ok with it even with my general dislike of chrome. If you like chrome I bet that it looks really good and I look forward to seeing a better pic from a distance to really see the look it gives. Nice quick writeup you gave for anyone that changes it which is great, haven't looked but make a nice sticky in a HowTo area for future quick reference.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Wanted to add a document that illustrates the process. Came with my red ones from Fiat.

Reactions: CarloAbarth500

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Can you buy covers unpainted????

Fiat 500 Argento Sport
Yes, about $50 for a set.

I had black prima caps, then chrome, then red. I painted the red ones myself. Not super professional but not bad. For me, I like the red best, having had all three, but all look nice.

NICE! I'm still wondering whether red or chrome covers would look better on a sport!
Take a look below!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Can you buy covers unpainted????

Fiat 500 Argento Sport
They come primered. You have to either paint them yourself or pay someone to paint them. Around $40-$45 per pair plus tax, primered.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Prying for 30min... THEY WONT BUDGE!
I got a tiny eyeglass screwdriver and was able to lift the top 2 clips off the mirror.
They slip back in place after a bit of prying. But it doesn't budge.
I've pried with my fingers and tried putting a screwdriver on that thin plastic ring&clips. But it won't budge.
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I got the passenger side off easy. But the heating wires were Crimped onto a hot glued connection.... There off now.
BUT MY CAP! it has 5 prongs NOT 4 like the diagram shows. The mystery 5th one, is inside near the bottom side nearest the car. Behind that round tube all the wires run thru. It is not at all accessible. I can barely manage to see it.
Anyone else run into the 5th prong clip??

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Just got the passenger side off. Lots of twisting and pulling HARD. Basically tried to break the little clip there without flexing surrounding areas... About 10-15min of this and it snapped off. Didn't break anything.

But my driver side still won't budge.
The mirror itself looks like it has some metal prongs on the plastic backing of the glass that the passenger side doesn't have.
They don't look to hold it in place. But I've broke one of my top clips off while prying it over the lip. The mirror still won't budge.
And the other upper outside clip(The only other clip up top) it will be broke soon too. Feels like it's glued.

The passenger side came off 1st try. like 30sec. The cover took about 30min total.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Ok, so I broke off once clip on the driver side.
Managed to pry up the second clip and wedge a small scrap metal piece under it.
I got my eyeglass screwdriver wedged inside the ring of clips it mounts to... Then Snap! It popped out.
The mirror cover popped right off no problem. Like maybe 1min.

I'd judge this...
Difficulty 7. Looks like a 2.
Patience Needed-10+++
Mirror Durability-10. Use common sense glass doesn't flex. I managed not to break it. Pry on the plastic ring/clip ONLY.
Used 4 fingers along the back side of the mirror on the plastic back. just to make some even pressure, not to pull.

·
Registered
250 Posts
weird, can you take a picture?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Here's some pics of the mirror backing. And the sides with no caps.
The connectors are cheap typical hardware store connectors. Be easy on the glue on the mirror backing to the connectors.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts