Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just found this on auto observer, Fiat 500 EV is being tested!

would anyone here be interested in getting an electric Fiat 500?

Fiat 500 EV pictures

Chrysler has begun testing of the upcoming Fiat 500 EV, as these spy photos attest. The battery-electric car, slated to hit the market in 2012 as a 2013 model, is being built by the Chrysler Group LLC for parent company Fiat S.p.A. The spy shots clearly show a U.S.-specification, 240-volt charger plug receptacle behind the electric Fiat’s fuel-filler door (below). The covers on the front and rear fascia suggest that the battery-electric version of the Fiat 500 will feature some changes Fiat doesn’t want to show off just yet to visually differentiate it from the gasoline model. Chrysler hasn’t said where it will build the Fiat 500 EV, but it currently assembles gasoline models of the subcompact for the U.S. market at its plant in Toluca, Mexico.

The carmakers haven’t released much information about the Fiat 500 electric vehicle, but in an interview earlier this year, Fiat-Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne suggested that it might be priced as much as three times the base gasoline 500 model. Even at a $45,000 sticker price, Fiat would likely lose about $10,000 per car. At the 2010 Detroit auto show, when production of the EV was announced, Marchionne tossed out a lower potential price tag of $32,000. Either price would be a bargain compared to the $144,000 that apparently ousted Libyan dictator Moammar Gadhafi paid an Italian automotive customizer for a one-of-a-kind 2009 Fiat 500 EV convertible recently seized by rebel fighters in Libya’s civil war.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I'm all for being environmentally friendly, but these type of cars are never going to fly. Just my opinion, but is our power grid not stressed enough. The other issues are price and what happens when these cars need a fresh battery cell. Batteries do not last forever and recharging has its limits. So again it becomes an environmental issue to dump these cells. Oh did I mention the cost of a replacement cell is around a quarter of the cost of the car.

I don't see any chance of recouping 45000 grand.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Yeah... that won't be until big oil has almost tapped out the earth's resources and finally realize that they can't make any more money on dead dinosaurs. THEN they'll realize that it's ok to utilize all the efficient motor and battery designs they've been buying up to keep off the market so that electric cars can be priced within reach of the average car buyer and be a viable alternative to fossil fuel powered cars.

I call BS on electric cars that cost more than luxury gas cars. "Look! We tried to sell electric cars, but no one wanted them because they're too expensive. People want gas cars!" bleh

Yes, I'd buy one, but only when big oil and big auto stop giving each other handys just to keep fossil burners on the road longer.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I wouldnt mind having one...but I'd have to be given the car more or less. It makes no economic, or environmental sense.

If gas is $5/gal and you drive a little more than 12k per year, thats $2000.00/year in fuel. Assuming that electricity is FREE...you would need to keep the car forever to break even....ooops...time to replace the batteries....make that two forevers

·
Registered
453 Posts
clean energy? There's tons of it, and tons of ways to do it. Why isn't it everywhere already? Same reason there aren't electric cars everywhere. It's easier to keep doing it the way it's been done, and there's a whole lotta money behind KEEPING it that way. The most ridiculous thing to me is that all our power comes from simple generators... just like these electric motors, but pulling power from the spin, rather than making the spin with power. How the make the spin is what is clean or dirty. Most surprisingly is that MOST power comes from plain and simple STEAM engines. WTF? Seriously, what century are we in? Yes, steam engines. Nuclear power? Steam engine. Coal? Steam engine. Clean energy means windmills (omfg! they're too noisy!, lets burn dinos instead) or hydro (omfg! an obscure fish might need to evolve a little, lets irradiate a town instead). If anyone with money would think past their own wallets and into the next twenty years, we wouldn't be in the mess we're in right now.

Bleh!

Sorry... I'll go smash up this worn out soap box.

·
Registered
765 Posts
clean energy? There's tons of it, and tons of ways to do it. Why isn't it everywhere already? Same reason there aren't electric cars everywhere. It's easier to keep doing it the way it's been done, and there's a whole lotta money behind KEEPING it that way. The most ridiculous thing to me is that all our power comes from simple generators... just like these electric motors, but pulling power from the spin, rather than making the spin with power. How the make the spin is what is clean or dirty. Most surprisingly is that MOST power comes from plain and simple STEAM engines. WTF? Seriously, what century are we in?...

The internal combustion engine is so amazingly efficient, reliable and logistically workable that attempts to supplant it are facing huge issues.

Sure it would be great if we lived in a fantasyland where hydrogen fuel cells didn't cost so much, yea it would be so peachy keen if there was a magical fusion power generator...oh wait...that would be a steam engine...which is bad right? Ok ok...so we don't all feel like its 1890, lets stop using this reliable and easy way to make electricity, and start using thermal valiance polymers that generate electricity without those silly spinney stuff....who cares if it costs 2000 times as much and doesnt scale very well.

I mean really?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Really Mike?

Going to have to disagree. Think about it. An electic car that you charge at home, no more stops at the gas station. No more gasoline leaking into ground water. No more drilling for oil, no more wars over securing a supply. And so on and so on .....................

Technology does not and can never stand still. The gasoline powered internal combustion engine is 100+ year old technology. We can do better. We will do better.

·
Registered
453 Posts
It's not the spinny that bothers me, it's the asinine way of using so many dangerous things to make the spinny. Rather than harness wind, water, solar, and other elements in better and more efficient ways, development of those technologies is stifled by the "good enough for now" burning of coal and sticking radioactive bars into water to get a fricking steam engine going. Are those systems efficient? Well, sure, they've been at them for a couple hundred years. Are they good for the world? **** no. But they work, so why bother coming up with new ideas? Worse still, when a new idea does get invented, what happens? It's bought by big oil or big auto. Not to use it, of course, but to stash it away to prevent its use by anyone else unlucky enough to invent something similar who will then be sued into the ground. Oh sure, there are lots of ideas out there, and companies being paid too much to invent (or not, in some cases) new green technologies. It's getting them into use and continuing their development into efficient alternatives for exploding puffs of dead dinosaur that's the problem.

Yes, I would love to have an all electric car of any kind, especially a Fiat 500. Will I ever be able to afford one? Maybe if my kids or grandkids buy it for me when oil is a truly scarce commodity that only the ultrawealthy can afford, when the only way to continue making money off of car lovers is to finally start selling electric vehicles in earnest and at sane prices. of course, by then, we'll all be living in bubbles or underground, or die at 30 due to all the carcinogens in the air. :p

·
Registered
225 Posts
Going to have to disagree. Think about it. An electic car that you charge at home, no more stops at the gas station. No more gasoline leaking into ground water. No more drilling for oil, no more wars over securing a supply. And so on and so on .....................

Technology does not and can never stand still. The gasoline powered internal combustion engine is 100+ year old technology. We can do better. We will do better.
Great idea but only if you don't need to travel more than 100 miles and have a few hours to spare before you can travel another 100....assuming a charging station and a VERY expensive, large, heavy battery and have a plan for disposal of same. This is America, not Europe. Distances are huge, money for alternatives is in VERY short supply. The Ecos had the perfect storage facility closed for spent nuclear fuel (so scratch that). The dirty secret is that wind power kills birds by the 1000's, and one of the most clean fuels currently available at a reasonable price, and in huge quantities in NA, is natural gas. Try that first and the pie in the sky can wait until technology exists for the next quantum leap in battery & solar power/cost.

As for all the conspiracy theories concerning eco fuels.... I retired from a lifetime working for the CIA (yes that one), and the idea that a secret of that caliber could be kept. is laughable. Heck, Clinton couldn't even keep a mistress a secret. It's a lot harder to keep a secret than you think and every person read in to the "secret" makes it that much harder to keep.

Take it from a pro, if a better way was out there, it would be in use and probably by the oil/power guns. It means $$$$$. Private enterprise loves $$$$$.:D

I know this will change no minds..... arguing politics, religion, & liberal vs conservative only ends with people talking past one another. But it is fun!

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts