Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Gas prices are getting higher and Chrysler would like to sell you its Fiat 500 EV that uses no gas for $10,000 below cost.

What's the catch? No catch, except its cost could be three times higher than a $15,995 gasoline-powered version.

Citing the high price of developing an all-electric city car, Chrysler Fiat CEO Sergio Marchionne reportedly said the company will roll out a limited number of Fiat 500 EVs and will take the loss in order to get them out there.

Even at around $45,000, the car will already be a good $12,000 or more than a Nissan LEAF – another purported loss leader – so this is the high price of trying to start an automotive revolution.

Edmunds.com said it could not get a comment from Chrysler reps, but said in order to get an electric alternative to the far more sophisticated extended-range Chevy Volt, pending Ford Focus EV, and others, Chrysler is willing to do what it takes.

More: Chrysler Will Reportedly Forfeit $10,000 For Every Fiat 500 EV It Sells on AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hrmmm...the nissan leaf is makin money at $33k per car, but Fiat will lose $10k (with a smaller battery and weaker motor) while selling the car at $45k? Fiat's economics continue to confuse me. Something smells fishy. Everything from Fiat says they can't make money on the EV and the dealerships can't make money at the MSRP, yet Fiat is upping their stake in Chrysler and even talkng about shifting a large portion of their operations to the USA and away from Turin, Italy (which upset Italy greatly)? I can't help but feel like someone is telling me a "tall tale".

1 - 2 of 2 Posts