Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had my 500 for a few months now and I love almost everything about it. The only real disappointment has been gas mileage in the city. For the record, I have the Sport model with an automatic and I've put about 2000 miles on it so far. On the highway things are great; I typically get about 35-36 on highway trips. But around town (where I do most of my driving) things get way down into the 20s. The lowest I've seen in the city is between 21 and 22, with the average being closer to 24. In mixed driving (about 30% highway) I'm getting about 26-27.

Is anybody else experiencing this? The city EPA rating for the automatic is 27, and of course YMMV, but I have never, even with the most light-footed driving, gotten anywhere close to 27 in the city. If this isn't the norm, any ideas why I'm getting such poor mileage?

These are the things I've considered:

Tires - Tire pressure is good. Perhaps the bigger tires on the Sport model don't fare as well MPGwise as those on the Pop and Lounge?

Driving Style - I've used ecoDrive to monitor MPG vs. driving style. If I try really hard not to accelerate too much (this is admittedly a challenge given the power of the engine) I can improve the MPG by at most 1.

Auto vs. Manual Mode - Generally I have found that shifting it myself returns better mileage. The lowest numbers I have observed have been when the car was in auto mode and the best in manual mode, but the difference seems to be mostly negligible.

Mods - I have the Road Race cold air intake installed. I tracked MPG before and after I added this intake and saw no real impact one way or the other.

Commute - My daily round trip commute includes 7 miles of highway driving (at ~60-65mph) and 4 miles of city driving (a fair amount of stoplights and traffic in an urban setting). That's a pretty short commute, and maybe that's a contributing factor.

EVIC - I'm basing all of this on the mileage the car is telling me it's getting. Next time I fill up I plan to double check the mileage readings to see if there is a margin of error between reality and what the car says.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Commute - My daily round trip commute includes 7 miles of highway driving (at ~60-65mph) and 4 miles of city driving (a fair amount of stoplights and traffic in an urban setting). That's a pretty short commute, and maybe that's a contributing factor.
There's your answer.
Your car is barely getting warmed up, so its still running rich.

Where do you live, and how cold has it been there lately?

BC.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm in Albany, NY. Until a few weeks ago it was fairly warm here, unseasonably so. The last few weeks have gotten colder, 50s during the day and 30s at night. I've noticed a slight, but not terribly significant, decline since it got colder. This makes me worry about how bad it will get when winter actually gets here. January and February are usually quite cold here.

As for the short commute, do you think letting the car warm up more would help? I was taught that it's more efficient not to let modern cars warm up before driving, but it's possible I was taught wrong.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And for the sake of comparison, I owned a 2007 Chevy Cobalt before the Fiat. The Cobalt was EPA rated at 22 city and I averaged about 22-24 in the city with that car.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've been getting 6.8L/100km since day one on a 35km one-way commmute using 94 octane since day 1. As for warming up, I've noticed the temp bars ramps up quickly so I don't think thats the issue; could be that combo of low octane and stop 'n go city driving

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
I've got a Sport auto. my mpg's have steadily climbed since new. with nearly 6,000 miles on mine since July 20th, I'm now getting 34-35 combined. filled up the other day and my trip home on the interstate, driving it HARD, the EVIC showed I was getting 39.5 for my 24 miles I had driven. now, a half tank later, I'm down to 34.3.

when I'm trying to get really good mileage, I drive with the EVIC in the 'Instant MPG' mode so I can see what I'm doing and when and I can adjust my driving instantly. works well for me anyway. :)

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Sport and auto the same color even and on a highway trip I managed 42.6MPG and around town hammering pretty good on the car returns 31-31MPGs and that is how it seems when it was new and still doing well at 2400 miles, I probably do maybe 40 miles max in a day and more often only around 15 or so, just to offer a comparison, also I use 89 octane.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I wasn't too happy at first, but with each tank of gas the mpg is improving. Up to about 27/28 in all urban driving. Let's of stoplights and a fair amount of jack rabbit starts. I'm at 1,400 miles so far. Have yet to take it out on the highway. Mine is also a Sport with the A/T.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts