Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's getting close to my pre-winter waxing and I'm thinking about using a claybar for the first time.

Anyone here using one?

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I have. It's pretty easy and painless. Works well too.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I used Autoglyms resin polish the other day and so far car looks great (even in the recently arrived vancouver winter rains); next step will be Mothers California gold wax..

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
It's getting close to my pre-winter waxing and I'm thinking about using a claybar for the first time.

Anyone here using one?
I only use clay bars for contamination. If the paint feels rough, then yes.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I did it. Not a lot of grit came off until I started on the back. There was quite a bit there. Not unusual, I guess, since I park with the back pointing at a rail yard next to the office.

The bad thing, though, I really don't enjoy washing/cleaning cars - I do it out of necessity. That means I don't always get all the bugs and stuff like that off. I don't have the patience or ambition to squat on the ground doing that. So, I now have some of the shiniest, smoothest bug stains you've ever seen!

·
Registered
453 Posts
I don't think it's how you park. I've noticed that the back of my 500 collects the most dust of any part of the car. I'm pretty sure the turbulence is carrying all the dust from the road and holding it up against the back of the car. It's crazy how much dirtier the back is compared to the sides and front. I feel like hosing it down every time I get home, but since it's road dust, it just sticks.

One of these days, I need to give it a god thorough polish and wax. Maybe with less "orange peel" the dust won't have any surface imperfections to rest on... or something.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I don't think it's how you park. I've noticed that the back of my 500 collects the most dust of any part of the car. I'm pretty sure the turbulence is carrying all the dust from the road and holding it up against the back of the car. It's crazy how much dirtier the back is compared to the sides and front. I feel like hosing it down every time I get home, but since it's road dust, it just sticks.

One of these days, I need to give it a god thorough polish and wax. Maybe with less "orange peel" the dust won't have any surface imperfections to rest on... or something.

I SSSOOO agree, the rear collects dirt terribly more than any other portion of the car, forget slowly driving down a dirt road and expecting the car to look even a tiny bit clean.:(

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I SSSOOO agree, the rear collects dirt terribly more than any other portion of the car, forget slowly driving down a dirt road and expecting the car to look even a tiny bit clean.:(
Try having a white car.

·
Registered
117 Posts
In my experience, white cars actually show dirt less than any other color. You really can't tell how dirty they were until you begin washing them.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'd say grey shows the least dirt. Though most cars these days are glossy and metallic so even a grey car loses its shine when dirty.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yes the back of this car and most hatchbacks are pretty hard to keep clean, lots of road grim and such collects there.

I have already had my car professionally polished and waxed, dealer delivery cleaning was not the best (fair number of fine scratches) and I usually get my car done once a year as it makes it a lots easier to keep up.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I use a clay bar sponge. It's a rubber polymer coated sponge so clay isn't necessary and it's reusable.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I normally clay bar my car once winter is over. Makes a huge difference IMO when applying wax afterwards.

As for the rear getting dirty, has anyone installed aftermarket mudflaps to mitigate this? If so, does it work?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts