Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 500 Lounge Convertible. Nero black with a beige soft top. Since the tops on the Fiat are fabric and not vinyl, I was looking for a product that would be specifically for fabric soft tops. I found a product called Raggtopp. It comes in a kit that includes convertible top cleaner for fabric and vinyl tops and a fabric protectant developed exclusively for fabric tops. The process is simple. First vacuum the top thoroughly then completely wet it down. Apply the cleaner and scrub lightly with a soft brush. Hose off the top and finish washing the rest of the car. When the top is thoroughly try, spray a light coating of the fabric protectant and allow to dry completely. My soft top looks incredible and I highly recommend this product. Of the three tops that are offered, I would imagine that the beige will be the most difficult to care because it is so light in color. The protectant has UV protection in addition to helping to prevent staining.

·
Registered
76 Posts
From years of experience using their products on a pair of Miatas, I can attest to the effectiveness of Raggtopp products. A bit hard to find sometimes, but worth the effort from my experience.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I use that other brand...cant remember the name its like 31 or 33 or something. Anyway, just be sure you don't clean your top with hard crap, and waterproof it every 6months to a year depending. Good place to find the stuff is often boat supply stores, since they have canvas that needs cleaning and protecting more than cars.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Amazon had a listing for it. $30

·
Registered
614 Posts
Of the three tops that are offered, I would imagine that the beige will be the most difficult to care because it is so light in color. The protectant has UV protection in addition to helping to prevent staining.
I know what you mean, I wanted the tan to go with my Verde Oliva but was afraid the trees around my house would stain it, so I went with the black top option.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I'm close to making a decision about which fiat 500 to buy and am seriously considering your combination - lounge, nero black with tan top. Could you post a photo of yours so I could see how beautiful it looks and if you have any comments re: the choice please let me know.

·
Registered
418 Posts
We live off a dirt road so we have an electric leaf blower and use it everyday - if the dust is heavy or before a known down pour we vacuum it up. I like the fact that the recommended kit has a spray fabric protector. Thank you for sharing.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Do you guys drive your convertibles through a touchless car wash? My dealer said you could.. I read the owners manual and saw something that said no... but not sure..

·
Registered
765 Posts
The reason you may want to avoid them are twofold. First of all they use high pressure water that can sometimes find a weak spot in the roofs seals and once exploited...it only gets worse, not better. The other concern it what your putting on your top. Its designed to be waterproof, but not designed to have soaps, detergents and what ever else they use pounded into the weave. You may have no problems at all, or it may with time cause an issue. See, theres no way to be sure since you have no idea what they are using, and it hasnt been tested on the canvas over years of exposure and then bake in the sun.

Its important to keep your top clean, and a good idea to use one of the mentioned protestants, but I would not put my car through a car wash.

and just an FYI, your dealer will tell you just about anything he thinks you want to hear...may not be a nice thing to say, but truer words you will never hear.

Reactions: Fab Freak

·
Registered
71 Posts
I totally agree with you. wont take mine to carwashes. And also its not good to "scrub" it as you'll only loosen the fibers and eventually cause it to "shag". Treat it once a year with a protectant to keep UV rays from damaging it and you're good. Mine is the Bordeaux color top.

The reason you may want to avoid them are twofold. First of all they use high pressure water that can sometimes find a weak spot in the roofs seals and once exploited...it only gets worse, not better. The other concern it what your putting on your top. Its designed to be waterproof, but not designed to have soaps, detergents and what ever else they use pounded into the weave. You may have no problems at all, or it may with time cause an issue. See, theres no way to be sure since you have no idea what they are using, and it hasnt been tested on the canvas over years of exposure and then bake in the sun.

Its important to keep your top clean, and a good idea to use one of the mentioned protestants, but I would not put my car through a car wash.

and just an FYI, your dealer will tell you just about anything he thinks you want to hear...may not be a nice thing to say, but truer words you will never hear.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Some websites don't recommend using a protectant on the soft top as the overspray it's a pain to clean off glass and bodywork. I'm thinking of just using "Raggtopp cleaner and not the protectant. Any thoughts out there? Ciao! Morgano

·
Registered
765 Posts
Some websites don't recommend using a protectant on the soft top as the overspray it's a pain to clean off glass and bodywork. I'm thinking of just using "Raggtopp cleaner and not the protectant. Any thoughts out there? Ciao! Morgano
There is no doubt that the 303 spray I use is a royal PITA to remove from glass or paint. You have to mask off the entire back, sides and hood if you dont want to spend a few weekends fixing your drips :) That said, I only use it twice a year, and its not hard to mask off the nice straight lines (plus the back window). Just be sure you use an ABSORBENT top sheet and an IMPERMEABLE (garbage bags in my case) under layer.

Takes just 15 min to mask off, and another 15 to lay down a few nice layers of waterproofing protectant...well worth it IMHO...but I also wash my car every week and like to keep it looking nice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello. I have a red 500c with beige roof. There is dirty areas on the lap zones of the beige ceiling fabric (inside). What do you recommend for cleaning? Thank you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have found RagTop products on Amazon and have used it. IMO it didn't seem to do much for water proofing, and I followed the directions meticously for cleaning, washing, and waterproofing. Even after cleaning and protecting with RagTop, within a week I took it out in the rain and the roof appears no different than prior to Ragtop. It still does not leak clear thru, never did, but I see no tendency for the waster to bead up like I would have expected on a newly waterproofed roof. What has been others experience?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I own a Rug Doctor spot cleaning machine. It worked well removing grey discoloration on the headliner around the rear window and in a few other spots; the top is beige. With a little practice I should be able to get it nearly perfect. The included soap was used first and followed with a clear water rinse. I did not try the motorized brush feature as I thought it might be too rough for the light fabric. The machine did a good job removing excess water so it dried fairly quickly.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts