Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have 3M making a clear film mask for my Prima Edizione. It will cover the front bumper, partial hood, mirrors, side skirts and door handle pockets. After just the drive home from the dealer, I was surprised at the number of bugs on the front bumper, and I can see it will be very susceptible to chips. The clear film mask will cure that problem.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Let us know when you have then and how much.

I made one for the holder on the inside of both doors as it gets a lot of scuff marks. I do this with all of my cars. You may want to consider.

I haven't done this but inside the outside door handle may be another place.

And I made one that covers the edge of the door, probably the most common place to pick up a chip when opening the door. A metal strip would probably be better here.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I'm starting to notice the little stone chips adding up :X

Downside of owning a new car, ahhhhrg!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Where are you getting stone chips? I looked at mine closely yesterday and the front of this car is almost entirely plastic-at least the upright surfaces that would get the chips. If this is color impregnated vacuum formed plastic it should take a lot of abuse. If It is painted......well it will look like **** in no time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
After seeing the rock chips and bugs on the test-drive model, going to do a full custom front quarter clear bra on my upcoming Sport. It is going straight to the Shop from the dealership before I take it home.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just had my Full Hood, Full Fender, Full Bumper, lights and mirrors done by a local Clear Bra Installer here in Orange County.

I have done lots of research and pretty much no one has done a pattern for the bumper. Not sure if companies just never wanted to deal with all the complicated curves and neccessary cuts etc. You can easily find patterns for partial hood, full hood and fenders etc.

Anyway, the bumper has to be done as a custom install. After a full day install it looks great. Excellent job. He warned me ahead of time that it would take a while cause of the bumper.

I have done many clear bra installs and he did a fabulous job even wrapping around hood where others charge extra for that.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
In the first few days I had mine, I was on the highway when a truck way up ahead dropped some small bits on concrete. I just about lost my mind when they struck my car. The front bumper and windshield were hit causing tiny pits. Barely visible honestly, but still there. I found one small chip on the hood.

Any idea what a clear bra will cost? I'd consider having one installed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Azzurro,
after some research online, I had mine installed by a guy in Montreal called Jolifilm. He did the whole front end (Full hood, bumper, all lights, full fender, side skirts, mirrors, outside door handles, strips on the door, strip on top of rear bumper) cost me 650$ tax in. He works really well, and on the rosso, you dont see it unless you really look. Will be well worth the cost, not swearing everytime you wash it! While I was picking up the car at the dealer, another installer was there and wanted 1000+ for everything I got...so the price is reasonable
I know he travels around, Im not sure he would go all the way to Ottawa, but he does have a shop on the 40 and Decarie, so easy to get to, but you never know if your interested let me know I can send you his email to discuss that!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I was quoted $695 to do the same thing in California so that looks like the going rate. I find that outrageous. For the kind of paint job these cars have on them i am pretty sure I could get the same areas painted for that amount. But I never would get it painted so the clear bra may be the answer.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I was at the dealership this evening and saw that they were now offering the 3M clear bra. It looked very nice. I didn't get a quote, but I gotta say, the prices you guys are talking about might be a little too rich for my blood.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Vitulla... I'm from Repentigny near Montréal and I will be buying a 500 in a couple of months. I would be interested in having the web site address of that company " Jolifilm ", can you post it ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
http://www.jolifilm.ca/en/film.html

Can't tell if the website is current as the copyright is from 2007
Thats his website but not up to date. If you would like to see his work, he works for 2 dealerships in Montreal, the rest is private. Mini Montreal and Ferrari Quebec. His work is immaculate, takes his time, and is very patient. A product like this, your paying for the skilled labour. Think about it, installing an invisible shield perfectly on an iphone is difficult to get perfect, imagine a car hood, with bends and dips. If you have any questions, please dont be shy, I will try to get some pictures of the install so everyone could see what it looks like.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
it might seem pricey, but figure the cost of repaint of the car and it will pay for itself. That flat nose is going to get pitted quickly. On my car, I put the film on nose, headlights, mirrors, door handle pockets, door edges, rockers and rear panel under the hatch

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey everyone, has anyone had film on another car for a long period of time? I'm curious as to how it looks after 1,2, 3 years or more. I feel like you would start to see build up around the borders after not too long, making the outlines really visible and maybe the film itself would start to discolor or peel. Also, if you are into detailing, you'll never be able to get a deep beautiful uniform shine that you would get from polishing and waxing the paint.
Just curious, thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Anybody done a custom installation at a shop with large generic sheets of protection film? They can cover the entire hood, fenders, bumper, etc trimming it to fit. I'm going to look into doing shortly after purchasing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts