Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2013 500 Pop with automatic transmission and 7k miles a few weeks ago. I really like the car but there is a front compartment "clunk" when I turn either left or right. It's not loud or grating but definitely audible. I've got an appointment in a week to week at the local studio to have it looked at and it's still well under warranty so I'm not stressed out about it, but does anyone have any experience with a similar issue or any idea what it might be? Please only speculate if you have some real experience with something like this. Thanks!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Is it a subtle "clunk" that you feel when the car is not moving and you initially load the steering in one direction or the other?
If so it MIGHT be the intermediate steering shaft. I had that as well as other components replaced to eliminate the slight clunk in mine... the solution would last a couple days and then come back again. I gave up.
Have them check it out.... Might not be something that stays fixed.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Mine was cured with the replacement of the intermediate steering shaft. Can be seen near the pedals. Transmits steering inputs to the rack and pinion. Since the electric assist is upstream (before) the shaft, there is some wear. Warranty item, they usually have them in stock 30 minutes to replace.

·
Registered
552 Posts
No need to live with those imperfections especially if your car is under warranty. take it back until they fix to your satisfaction.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
No need to live with those imperfections especially if your car is under warranty. take it back until they fix to your satisfaction.
100% agree. The only bad thing about the dealer "fixing" this clunk is I have read after 3 attempts even under warranty they've called it quits for some members which to me makes no sense. I can't say for sure they pursued it further but I know I read at least once this happened and they were left with no further option. (Unless they added info I missed at a later time). Hopefully this will not be the case in this situation, feeling that was more of an isolated dealer specific situation, least I hope!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey thanks so much for the heads up on the intermediate steering shaft, sounds like that may be the problem. It is pretty subtle but it is consistent and was not present in the other 500 I test drove (however that one had a lot more miles on it so that's why I didn't buy it).

I would be curious what the 2 other common reasons for a clunk in the front end are?

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Hey thanks so much for the heads up on the intermediate steering shaft, sounds like that may be the problem. It is pretty subtle but it is consistent and was not present in the other 500 I test drove (however that one had a lot more miles on it so that's why I didn't buy it).

I would be curious what the 2 other common reasons for a clunk in the front end are?
As mentioned above...
Jounce bumpers
Top strut mounts

The jounce bumpers have been revised and are now on their third revision and the top strut mounts are just a common issue. The rubber "donut" portion and the rounded metal outer piece that sandwiches the "donut" pull apart according to pics I have seen.

·
Registered
10 Posts
had to have my intermediate steering shaft replaced on my 15 with only 1600 miles on the car. oh and also the waterpump at the same time. fiat quality lol!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Tie rod ends. I know, I know, they're "lubed for life." Does that mean that when they need lube their useful life is over?
Anyhow, has anyone tried using a hypodermic to shoot some chassis lube into the rubber boots? I used to do that with my older FIATs, Nuova 500s, 600s, 850s, and even 128-based Yugos. I had good results. They lasted forever, kept the water out, and made steering easier.
My '13 Pop is getting on in years now and I'm detecting the slightest loss of directional stability, just the need for tiny corrections to keep it on its intended course.
Any tips would be welcomed at [email protected].
Thanx, "17 FIATs since 1958" Bill

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought a 2013 500 Pop with automatic transmission and 7k miles a few weeks ago. I really like the car but there is a front compartment "clunk" when I turn either left or right. It's not loud or grating but definitely audible. I've got an appointment in a week to week at the local studio to have it looked at and it's still well under warranty so I'm not stressed out about it, but does anyone have any experience with a similar issue or any idea what it might be? Please only speculate if you have some real experience with something like this. Thanks!
My repair guy said it was the half shaft on mine.

·
Registered
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth with an intermitant thunk noise up front, a P006D, and a Tire Pressure Malfunct
16 Posts
I have this thunk as well. Hopefully it goes away when it warms up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts