Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At low speeds such as parking maneuvers I get a knock or clunk that I hear and feel in the steering. I took it to the dealer who had the steering rack and pinion replaced. That was a month ago, now the noise is back. The first repair involved taking the car to the dealer twice. I took the car in again a third time but the mechanic said it would have to get worse before they attempt another fix.

I have joined other forums and there seems to be a similar problem from Europe, Canada and here in US. Some people think it is a strut bearing problem, others think it is a steering problem.
I am now waiting for it to get loud enough that the Service advisor and the mechanic will not doubt me this fourth time time.

Any others out there with this problem?
Advice is greatly appreciated, thanks ahead of time.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I heard mine slightly the other day, but I think it's on a cold start. Sounds like a knock when turning the wheel at slow speeds like pulling out of a parking spot.

·
Registered
12,687 Posts
I've never heard anything like that from my car, or on this site. Good thing the cars under warranty. Just a hassle having to take it back again. Good luck with the issue.:)

·
Registered
188 Posts
This happened to mine also. I took it in to the studio. The mechanic said the rack wasn't greased at all from the factory. He said he packed it with grease and I've never heard the sound again. Take it in.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Jonathan,
Hope I have the right address.
I have an ongoing problem with a clunking noise and feel in the steering.
I am 60 miles from the Studio and have made 5 trips so far missing 5 half days from work and including 2 car rentals. This comes out to about $900.
The car is still not fixed and Wendy Dellinger at Shaver Auto wants me to bring the car in again but did not mention it would get repaired. I asked for a loaner car while they kept mine but received no answer.
Please help,
Eric

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Strut bearings and sway bar endlinks are typically low speed clunks. Seems to me it would be easy to diagnose from a shop standpoint. But I'm sure they looked at those two things as those are the most common causes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Strut bearings and sway bar endlinks are typically low speed clunks. Seems to me it would be easy to diagnose from a shop standpoint. But I'm sure they looked at those two things as those are the most common causes.
The dealer did not tell me if this is dangerous. It is getting louder and more pronounced but feels fine on the highway. Should I wait until something breaks and then have it towed in?

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
well, dangerous is different things to different people. To me, I would see it as an annoyance first, danger second. A distant second.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well, dangerous is different things to different people. To me, I would see it as an annoyance first, danger second. A distant second.
Thanks Mr.Pickles! I was thinking along the same lines but it was nice to have a similar second opinion. Sorry this is so serious because your comments usually make me smile or laugh.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have the same clunking problem. I notice it more when I pull into my gargage.
Fiat500USA forum has some other people with similar problems. One fellow named Jose in Puerto Rico has had his rack and pinion replaced 3 times. I don't believe that anymore since my studio wanted to replace mine a second time. There is also one guy from Canada whose clunking problem was fixed by new struts.
How long have you felt your steering clunk? And have you noticed it getting worse?
Thanks

·
Registered
72 Posts
I read this thread and the one on Fiat500USA. It seems to be a problem in design because of the number of people with the same problem, even if one or two of them are thought to be the same but really different. Still a number of Fiat 500's with this problem. But I wonder what is the ratio of Fiat 500's with this problem to Fiat 500's without this problem. How likely is it that I'll have a manual Pop without this problem if I get one?

I tried looking for any source of information where people state whether they have had a certain problem or not, so those without it can respond and we can see how many of them there are. I'm not sure if there is anything like that online right now. I'm sure Fiat does survey calls to new owners but I doubt they'll make their statistics or results public.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Definitely there are people with this problem writing to the forums but I think the number is small although we don't know people with this problem who never write. It would not prevent me from buying a 500. But the biggest hassle for me is the distance to the studio and the number of visits, now that will make me think again before buying a car without studio in near proximity.
As of today Wednesday, the 500 is back at the dealers for them to play with and I (oh horror) am driving a Dodge minivan loaner.
I don't know how to park anymore! I'm trying to put some humor into this...

·
Registered
124 Posts
The clunking sound (you can feel it in steering too) started about a month ago but does not seem to be getting progressively worse. I 've never had the problem on the highway; just when parking.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Definitely there are people with this problem writing to the forums but I think the number is small although we don't know people with this problem who never write. It would not prevent me from buying a 500. But the biggest hassle for me is the distance to the studio and the number of visits, now that will make me think again before buying a car without studio in near proximity.
As of today Wednesday, the 500 is back at the dealers for them to play with and I (oh horror) am driving a Dodge minivan loaner.
We bought a Dodge minivan 3 weeks after we bought the Fiat. It is easier to park than the 500c because of the back up camera. The convertible does have the back up sensors though.

I will keep an ear out for this clunk noise, I am suprised FiatCares has not chimed in on this problem yet.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I hope he has some insight on this. I know that a few people reporting a problem on a forum may seem like more instances than the few it may really be. But the fact that there are more than one car with the same symptoms may indicate a flaw in design, rather than random and unlikely but still present freak chance defects. I think this is one of the bigger concerns for me right now.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I told the dealer today when they changed the oil. Couldn't replicate it.

·
Registered
588 Posts
AltaMesa: Have you sent a private message to FiatCares? I would do that for sure.

1 - 20 of 174 Posts