Fiat 500 Forum banner

121 - 140 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Mostly low speed parking lot maneuvers, hot or cold, doesn't matter. After another dealer replaced the first rack, the car seemed a little errant on the highway, kinda like the feeling that you have no control and will crash off to the side of the road at any minute kinda feeling, so maybe they messed something up. It did only take them the day. Hopefully the new dealer, which has had the car for a week, will get it all straightened out, literally.

·
Registered
306 Posts
After much trouble with this issue a few users of the 500 in Arg got their rack replaced by Fiat, with no benefits.
As a lot here already noticed, it's the intermediate shaft to blame, but down here in Argentina instead of replacing the part we just lube it and no more clunks! I didn't believed it would be so simple, but after trying, it really cured the **** clunk!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Just got the car back, nicely cleaned and the tires armoralled. However, the work order stated that the passenger seat that doesn't return to the original position and instead goes all the way back and upright, is normal. I can't believe this could be true, since the drivers side works fine. Any input?

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Just got the car back, nicely cleaned and the tires armoralled. However, the work order stated that the passenger seat that doesn't return to the original position and instead goes all the way back and upright, is normal. I can't believe this could be true, since the drivers side works fine. Any input?
The driver and passenger seats are different from each other. In model year 2014, FIAT changed the passenger seat to lock into position like the driver seat does. So, unless you have a 2014 or 2015, it is normal. Remember it is a cheap econo car.

·
Registered
492 Posts
After much trouble with this issue a few users of the 500 in Arg got their rack replaced by Fiat, with no benefits.
As a lot here already noticed, it's the intermediate shaft to blame, but down here in Argentina instead of replacing the part we just lube it and no more clunks! I didn't believed it would be so simple, but after trying, it really cured the **** clunk!

Id like to know what kind of lube you are using and where exactly you put the lube as my 2013 has the clunk and I'm not gong to let them replace the steering shaft since they did it on my 2012 and the problem came back so replacing the part obviously doesn't fix the problem.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Id like to know what kind of lube you are using and where exactly you put the lube as my 2013 has the clunk and I'm not gong to let them replace the steering shaft since they did it on my 2012 and the problem came back so replacing the part obviously doesn't fix the problem.
Don't recall the type I used, just grabbed a can of spray grease I had (lithium grease?)
I put it here (not my picture, took it from the web) you can try to put it without taking it appart, but I guess for best results you should.

·
Registered
903 Posts
All along, I thought the steering shafts weak point was the cross joints, not the slip joint. Thanks for sharing. I think I will lube mine before trouble arises.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Bringing my car in tomorrow and this is on the list of things to be looked at.

What seems to be the better option, lubricating or replacing?

Truthfully I don't mind it as I almost never have to turn full lock, but if it means that something is likely to break in the future as a result then I'd be worried if it continues.

·
Registered
62 Posts
As service advisor, my technician had found that if replacing the steering gear did not fix the issue, replacing the intermediate shaft DID. I never had any cars return with clunking after replacing the shaft.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Don't recall the type I used, just grabbed a can of spray grease I had (lithium grease?)
I put it here (not my picture, took it from the web) you can try to put it without taking it appart, but I guess for best results you should.
so, not having any lithium grease, i sprayed the heck out of this part with WD-40. the clunk has MASSIVELY reduced intensity if not disappeared completely. thank goodness!

i also sprayed the u joint near the floor, just in case.

·
Registered
629 Posts
My guess is a spray can of white lithium grease would have been a better longer lasting choice. If there's any grease in there the WD-40 would wash it out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Got mine back with replaced intermediate shaft. The service manager says its an updated part. Not sure if this is b s or what. Part number 68105066AC.

·
Super Moderator
22,119 Posts
Got mine back with replaced intermediate shaft. The service manager says its an updated part. Not sure if this is b s or what. Part number 68105066AC.
Good to know, maybe they won't continue to be a problem. Thanks for sharing this information.

121 - 140 of 174 Posts