Fiat 500 Forum banner

141 - 160 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Dealership replaced and lubed the bolts in the steering shaft. All clunking gone and the car is a lot more stable on the freeway. Hopefully it will last.

·
Registered
226 Posts
dont bother with the dealership, just crawl under your steering wheel and lube the seem between the thicker shaft to the smaller shaft.

i also did the U joint on the floor.

still no clunks.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Im waiting for parts to come in before returning to my studio to have the 'fix' done, but tech said that the factory does not properly install the u-joint by the floor and that replacing the part and using some loc-tite on certain connections will remedy the issue.

·
Registered
27 Posts
groan... my 500e is having this issue at 6,000 miles. seems easy enough to take the car in and have them replace the intermediate shaft. thing is... ive removed my rear seats and I dont want them saying my warranty is no longer supported.
Mine just started this week as well...3500 miles in. Laaaame.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I did the joint at the floor with spray lithium grease and no change. You're saying to put it where the shaft changes size, closer to the actual wheel? Doesn't sound like the noise is coming from that area, but I'll give it a spray. I wouldn't use wd40 anywhere on my car, but you may have penetrated something by soaking the part where it goes into the firewall/floor that lithium grease won't touch.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I think a previous thread said to spray down into the tube from above. I'd also use spray lithium grease instead of WD-40.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I read as much of this as I could stand and I was convinced I'd have to live with the knock. The advisor mentioned it this morning when he was looking at another issue and said he'd fix it under warranty by replacing the steering half shaft. Problem solved.

141 - 160 of 174 Posts