Fiat 500 Forum banner

161 - 174 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just joined because the car I recently purchased just started doing this.Mine makes the noise from just off straight ahead to the right or left and back. Im a tech, so Ive isolated it to either the intermediate shaft joint at the rack end , or the rack itself. Seems the shaft is the more common culprit. It does look preaty weak. I'm sorry to hear so many are having problems with dealers helping them.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I just joined because the car I recently purchased just started doing this.Mine makes the noise from just off straight ahead to the right or left and back. Im a tech, so Ive isolated it to either the intermediate shaft joint at the rack end , or the rack itself. Seems the shaft is the more common culprit. It does look preaty weak. I'm sorry to hear so many are having problems with dealers helping them.
Not here. Got mine fixed pronto at Stateline Fiat, SC.

·
Super Moderator
22,119 Posts
Welcome to the forum, hopefully one day they create a more permanent fix to this common problem.

·
Registered
629 Posts
if it's the intermediate steering shaft, does anyone know how much i should expect to replace it out of warranty?
I was quoted $97 for the part. You can try spraying white lithium grease into the slip joint and see if that works before replacing out of warranty.

·
Registered
207 Posts
the 'clunk' on my 13' sport when cold, steering at low speed was the strut top mount moving/rotating intermittently from excessive shock friction causing the rubber to skip along the shock tower and using the spring as an amplifier for the noise and feeling. As far as I'm aware there isn't a parts fix for this, and in my opinion although somewhat annoying, is not dangerous at all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Very glad to have found this thread, just picked up a 2015 500e yesterday and noticed this clunk when parking. Was hoping my first post wouldn't be about a problem, but oh well!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same issue. Whenever I'm backing into the garage and turning from side to side with the steering wheel it ever so slightly clicks and I can hear and feel it. Never felt it in any other car. I just assumed it was some new type of power steering because I've also never had a car that was so easy to turn the wheel lol. Anyway maybe it does need grease I'll try to check that out tomorrow.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi I just have a 2014 fiat 500e end it has that noise can any mechanic do the job ?

161 - 174 of 174 Posts