Fiat 500 Forum banner

Clutch Hydraulic Pipe Leaking

27K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Littleviv 
#1 ·
Hi there everyone,

My wife has a fiat 500 lounge UK 1.2, its first registered February 2016, 17k miles on clock and today she went to drive it and the clutch wouldnt allow it to go into gear, clutch peddle had very little resistance, contacted the garage and they sent out the AA.

Mechanic found that there was a leak from the hydraulic pipe for the clutch located in the nearside inner wheel well, he tried to top it up and bleed it to get the clutch to operate but was unsuccessful and the dealer said that this part is not covered by their own warranty.

Mechanic said that he has saw this occur a number of times and that its a poor design, tried to have a look on here and couldnt see anything popping up with this fault, think its ridiculous that a vehicle of this type and mileage develops a fault like this.

Got a friend coming to look at it later but will most likely have to go to the garage for repair, any advice welcome and much appreciated.

Burnt-toast

#2 ·
So just to give update for anyone else that may suffer this fault.
The quick connector that joins the master clutch cylinder pipe to the slave cylinder pipe would not release, this required the need to purchase both clutch master and slave cylinder assemblies for replacement.
The good thing about the master cylinder is that it comes filled with fluid and required no bleeding, the bad thing is the price!!!
Was a pretty straightforward job with parts coming in at £170.
my mechanic made it look easy and got it back on the road doing a great job.
Hope this helps someone.

#13 ·
So just to give update for anyone else that may suffer this fault.
The quick connector that joins the master clutch cylinder pipe to the slave cylinder pipe would not release, this required the need to purchase both clutch master and slave cylinder assemblies for replacement.
The good thing about the master cylinder is that it comes filled with fluid and required no bleeding, the bad thing is the price!!!
Was a pretty straightforward job with parts coming in at £170.
my mechanic made it look easy and got it back on the road doing a great job.
Hope this helps someone.
Not any more sadly. 8 week wait for parts and being charged over 400 for them. Such a common fault. Shortage of parts. Fiat should be recalling

#3 ·
Just read this post and the exact same thing has happened to my Fiat 500 1.2 Lounge this week. 66 Plate. 16.5K on the clock. One month out of warranty. Clutch went very loose and I couldn't get the vehicle into gear. TJ Vickers towed it in and are charging me £311 to repair. A leaking clutch pipe apparently. So disappointed with the Fiat brand. Obviously sub-standard.

#4 ·
Just had my wife’s in for repair for the same issue 2016 Popstar with 11,500 miles on the clock leak in pipe nearside wheel arch, the easiest option is to replace the complete system ( master and slave cylinders pipe and reservoir) all come in an after market kit, around £140 + labour, a lot dearer for genuine Fiat, ( around three times the price).+ Labour. It seems the system is badly designed and attracts a lot of corrosive salt from its position. Hope this helps.

#6 ·
Just done mine on my wife's car, tbh there is no point buying the master and slave complete from fiat, it's very expensive, and if you look at how few miles are on the above cars, it's obviously going to happen again, I've just chopped mine out, and replaced it with a plastic push fit connection, works perfectly, cost 3 quid, takes about 45 mins to do the complete job, including bleeding, and removing the battery tray