Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like so many others my 2012 500 sport has suffered a failed pressure plate. Stiff pedal, clutch
won't disengage. I'm going to do the replacement myself and don't want to use a OEM clutch
kit in it since they seem to be junk. Anyone know who the manufacture of the OEM pressure plate is?
Rock Auto has 3 different options, with National being the cheapest. Is National any good? They
also have a kit by Sachs and one other manufacturer. Any recommendations?
Hopefully Fiat will get enough pressure to do a recall as this is obviously a manufacturing
defect of the pressure plates.

·
Registered
12,663 Posts
What ever you do. Purchased the best quailty one out there. Give 500 madness a call. They might be able to recommend one to you.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Will you be posting pictures of the parts? I would like to examine the throw out bearing, before believing the pressure plate failed without a separate cause.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I used Sachs on my old pre-race Baja Bug IIRC. I believe they were quite popular on modified VW's back in the day. Again IIRC it is German made?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could be the throw out bearing, it was a sudden failure while going thru an intersection. Down shifted fine, then failed
on upshift. I think I'll most likely go with the Sachs kit since they seem to be more of a performance kit.
There was a news report on the local news here in Atl in Sep covering a person who had a failure. They were at
there repair shop and they mechanic showed that some of the fingers on the pressure plate had cracked causing the
clutch not to release. I suspect this on mine from the sudden failure.
I'll post pictures and update once I have it apart.
Another question, can anyone recommend a good source on a shop repair manual?

·
Registered
626 Posts

·
Banned
4,743 Posts
Looks like I will be buying the extended warranty when the time comes. The question though, is will it be covered?

TEdolph

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had this issue on Friday.

Dealer told me that it was the pressure plate that had failed indeed, but that fiat would not be offering me any assistance. $1400 for a new clutch assembly installed. I hope this one lasts longer than 60,000 kms, and I hope yours does too. If you manage to get anything, please let us know! Good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Check close for warranty exclusions. I bought my 500 at Carmax with a 100k mile extended warranty, but they
have written exclusion on the entire clutch assembly, as wear items

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bought my car used from Carmax with 18k miles on, so I'm wondering if this is maybe the 2nd clutch
failure, and that's why the first owner traded it, won't doubt it.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I bought my car used from Carmax with 18k miles on, so I'm wondering if this is maybe the 2nd clutch
failure, and that's why the first owner traded it, won't doubt it.
This failure is a known issue on 2012 Fiats. Basically, some have defective clutch pressure plates. Some other vehicles which use that same clutch (VWs) have had the same failures. I doubt it has had a failure before, as this issue was corrected on the 2013+ model year cars.

If if you haven't bought anything yet, you could contact Fiat corporate, but the more efficient route would be to buy the Sachs and maybe a single-mass flywheel while the whole mess is out and have that installed or DIY.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I was wondering when my 2012 Sport would screw me... it happened today on the worst moment (late, after a LONG workday leaving a few hours late)... couldn't engage any gear. Clutch a stiffer. I managed to get home in 2nd! I'll see what happened once I get a chance to take it apart.
What is really strange is that till this morning it was completely normal. parked the car as every day, no use whatsoever during the day, then when using it again it failed even before moving an inch! no odd noises, nothing.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I was wondering when my 2012 Sport would screw me... it happened today on the worst moment (late, after a LONG workday leaving a few hours late)... couldn't engage any gear. Clutch a stiffer. I managed to get home in 2nd! I'll see what happened once I get a chance to take it apart.
What is really strange is that till this morning it was completely normal. parked the car as every day, no use whatsoever during the day, then when using it again it failed even before moving an inch! no odd noises, nothing.
Sorry to hear. What was your mileage at the time of failure?
Please report it to the NHTSA so there is a continuous record of a failure that Fiat has not heard about...
Let us know the outcome when you contact FiatCares here through the fourm.
Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This failure is a known issue on 2012 Fiats. Basically, some have defective clutch pressure plates. Some other vehicles which use that same clutch (VWs) have had the same failures. I doubt it has had a failure before, as this issue was corrected on the 2013+ model year cars.

If if you haven't bought anything yet, you could contact Fiat corporate, but the more efficient route would be to buy the Sachs and maybe a single-mass flywheel while the whole mess is out and have that installed or DIY.
How do you know the 2013 models have been corrected? I just had the exact same thing happen to my 2013 with 29k miles. The clutch had zero slippage and there was no burning smell on mine. It is currently in the shop as I am awaiting a response from fiatcares.

I bought it off the lot with 500 miles on it and had high hopes for it. All at once in October less than 2.5 years after I bought it all 4 of my rotors went bad which I figured wasn't that bad (except 2 were almost completely rusted through and horribly warped) and replaced those myself, my battery went completely dead without warning which I understand the life on batteries are not the fault of fiat, but then my clutch went out. The battery and rotors were no problem and I thought nothing of it, but now my pressure plate went bad without warning. I'm not a huge fan of my car anymore...

·
Registered
306 Posts
Sorry to hear. What was your mileage at the time of failure?
Please report it to the NHTSA so there is a continuous record of a failure that Fiat has not heard about...
Let us know the outcome when you contact FiatCares here through the fourm.
Good luck.
I'm not in the states, I guess I could complain to some local agency, but it would be a total waste of time :(
As said it's a 2012 model (built nov.2011) and only got 30K km! My mechanic already pulled the transmission and told me, no surprise here, the clutch is OK, the pressure plate failed (I'll take a picture of the plate when I pick the car).
Same as in the states, no options are available, just the original which I hope lasts longer.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts