Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
At least it was the least most disliked car, if I make myself clear.....

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I'm happy to have something that has now depreciated faster than my house. Thanks Fiat for making me feel like a lucky home owner again!

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
While I come from a MINI/ Mini background my wife is all Honda. It amazes me how Honda went from top dog to the runt of the litter in one year.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I think it's going to take a couple/few years for the market to "come around" on a car like the 500.

You always have to keep in mind that not too long ago, an SUV was "the car" to have. I can't imagine that the US market will ever be AS accepting of small cars as the EU market, but it certainly seems to be trending that way. Honda Fit, Ford Fiesta, Mazda 2, etc... these cars are making their way to market in the states and I think we're all still seeing the "early adopters" be looked at kind of funny.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
A miscalculation on sales projections does not mean the car is "disliked"

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yep, that's what bugs me - 20,000 cars is a good first year, and they turned a win into a loss by projecting 50,000 based on I-have-no-idea-what.

The J-lo campaign may be disliked, but it's on another list as oneof the most-watched campaigns in 2011. I went to KY for a family funeral and, as an infamous car guy, everyone asked what I was driving. Fiat 500. What? The J-lo car :(. Oh! For better or worse, she's brought some brand recognition, though I hope we aren't as linked as Ricardo Montalban and the Chrysler Cordoba.

They quoted some negative comments, but there have been as many positive. From my reading, overall consensus is that it's a cheaper, roomier (I don't get Edmunds comment), more comfortable alternative to the Mini Cooper. Having driven the Mini, I'd say there's room for an alternative.

But most of the list is bunk anyway. How's the Honda Civic taking a beat-down for going bargain basement when I heard the same cries about the VW Jetta and that's not even on the list?

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not sure what they base their opinions on. The Honda Civic sold over 3,300 units last month. The new model. I'm not too crazy about the new styling. Its too conservative for me. Folks like their Civic, no matter what.

It can't all be base on sells numbers, for November 2011. The Chevy HHR sold only 23 cars. The Nissan Cube 203. Smart cars only 414. The Buick Verano a whole big 4 cars. ????????????????? Tied with the new Mitsubishi i MiEV.

All I can say is I really love my little 500. The most fun car, I've owned since my new CRX SI, and Prelude, back in the mid eighties. Before that a Sunbeam Tiger.

·
Registered
48 Posts
CNN says Edmunds complained about "Wait-and-see reliability"

I wouldn't say complain. Here's what Edmunds actually said:

"We'll have to wait and see about its reliability, but the 2012 Fiat 500 is yet another stylish subcompact that proves that small can be cool."

And these PROS:

"Adorable styling; Sport model's capable handling; excellent fuel economy with manual transmission; surprisingly spacious for two people."

And this:

"In road tests we've been impressed by the 500's smooth and willing engine and slick-shifting manual transmission. Though the steering feel is somewhat numb, the 500, especially the Sport version, provides agile handling along with a compliant ride quality, besting the Mini Cooper in the latter respect. The interior is cheerful looking, especially when optioned with the two-tone coloring, and the controls are easy to operate. Despite the Fiat 500's small size, seating comfort is respectable, though tall drivers may find themselves running out of headroom, particularly if the sunroof is ordered."

Isn't interesting that CNN chose to dwell on the Edmunds' few negative comments and totally ignored the praise Edmunds heaped on the 500??? I guess that's what you do when you're trying to make a negative case for something that's universally perceived as one of the best in its class.

·
Registered
475 Posts
They're equating sales to success and popularity, period.
In a poor economy, can you blame them?

·
Registered
182 Posts
CNN Money appears to be talking out of both sides of their Bose 7 speaker system. See the CNN Money Link attached and watch the two videos. http://money.cnn.com/2011/10/18/autos/fiat_500_top_safety_pick/index.htm. The message I get from CNN Money's articles on the Fiat 500 is that each of their writers seems to have a different opinion on the Fiat 500. Fair enough. They have the right I suppose. It does not mean however that the Fiat 500 sky is falling because a staff writer does not like the car. Europe is crawling with hundreds of thousands of the Fiat 500's since 2007. Fiat as a car company is one of the oldest car companies in the world and one of the most successful. (Maybe that's not saying much right now) I fully expect that the US market will also continue to embrace the car as a great alternative to the "me too" styling of just about everything else in its class. Hey, the car is not for everyone, but that's just fine with me. When I drive by the high school and see 45 Fiats parked there in place of the Honda's (nothing against Honda) I will probably move on to another car.

By the way, as stated earlier, the advertising campaign with the Jennifer L. videos received over 27M hits making it one of the Top 5 car ads of 2011. May not be one of my personal favorites, but hey, if you can get 27M people to watch anything that does not involve a celebrity sex tape, I have to give you kudos. Well done Fiat.

I am with smark, I don't really care what some staff writer at CNN Money says, my wife and I love our Fiat 500c. We just crossed the 5000 mile mark and are having as much fun with it as the day we bought it. In my opinion, it is a great value and offers more smiles per mile per dollar spent than anything I have ever owned (and that includes hot rods, a 1967 Mini Cooper S, Lexus, BMW, a number of Chevy's and Fords and more motorcycles than I can remember). The car is a blast to drive, has all the options we wanted and the dealer experience has been terrific. Consider us a Fiat 500 enthusiasts, regardless of what CNN Money or anyone else says.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I think it's going to take a couple/few years for the market to "come around" on a car like the 500.

You always have to keep in mind that not too long ago, an SUV was "the car" to have. I can't imagine that the US market will ever be AS accepting of small cars as the EU market, but it certainly seems to be trending that way. Honda Fit, Ford Fiesta, Mazda 2, etc... these cars are making their way to market in the states and I think we're all still seeing the "early adopters" be looked at kind of funny.
Now that fuel prices of stabled off and people have found other ways to pay for gas, people are maintaining their larger vehicles. In other words they have sacrificed spending in other area's so they can keep driving their trucks and SUV's and thats just ONE of the reasons this "recovery" is slower than normal- people are not spending. The only way people are going to flock to smaller cars is if only gas prices start to increase again rapidly and/ or being forced to by the 2025 50 MPG mandate.

Going off the examples you made with the other manufactures is why Fiats failure to launch more devastating. There is a lot of competition out there for a small car market. Since they are going to be forced into another relaunch attempt it is now going to be harder than it was before to make it successful. I hope they bring out the big guns and the Abarth seduction video is a great place to start. J- Lo needs to be let go. She is a very polarizing figure and has already given the Fiat a stereo typed image that is negative to most.

True, but continual diving sales figures every month since it's launch indicates otherwise and is not good.

Yep, that's what bugs me - 20,000 cars is a good first year, and they turned a win into a loss by projecting 50,000 based on I-have-no-idea-what.

The J-lo campaign may be disliked, but it's on another list as oneof the most-watched campaigns in 2011. I went to KY for a family funeral and, as an infamous car guy, everyone asked what I was driving. Fiat 500. What? The J-lo car :(. Oh! For better or worse, she's brought some brand recognition, though I hope we aren't as linked as Ricardo Montalban and the Chrysler Cordoba.

They quoted some negative comments, but there have been as many positive. From my reading, overall consensus is that it's a cheaper, roomier (I don't get Edmunds comment), more comfortable alternative to the Mini Cooper. Having driven the Mini, I'd say there's room for an alternative.

But most of the list is bunk anyway. How's the Honda Civic taking a beat-down for going bargain basement when I heard the same cries about the VW Jetta and that's not even on the list?
That proves my point about J- Lo. I think its "most watched" not for it's advertising genius but more for the controversy it has stirred.

Have you even driven or taken a close look at the new Civic? I have. it sucks for even for a bargain basement job by today's standards. Really piss poor. It reminds me of what Hyundai was when they first came out. Another thing too there was this big hype (in Honda circles) about the 9th generation Civic leading up to its release. When it was released it resembled to much of the the previous Civic despite being "all new" it is just as refined, comfortable and handled just as well a five year old shopping cart from Walmart.

As far as the Jetta- it's quality has went to the crapper as well and it's sales have reflected it too. Both VW and Honda had better get on the ball and fast to compete in a tighter than ever market. Both models have lost their reputation which made them infamous and both have been the corner stone of their brand. You lose that image and you will be in deep.....

·
Registered
350 Posts
As far as the Jetta- it's quality has went to the crapper as well and it's sales have reflected it too. Both VW and Honda had better get on the ball and fast to compete in a tighter than ever market. Both models have lost their reputation which made them infamous and both have been the corner stone of their brand. You lose that image and you will be in deep.....
You realize that the Jetta sales destroyed all previous sales records for VW, right? Volkswagen's record sales for 2011 are pretty much singularly credited towards the Jetta.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts

You realize that the Jetta sales destroyed all previous sales records for VW, right? Volkswagen's record sales for 2011 are pretty much singularly credited towards the Jetta.
So it seams....

I was reading older articlas. LOL!

http://thewheeldeal.blogs.fortune.c...lkswagen-jetta-sel-slow-start-to-a-long-race/

From what I have read the older Jetta's are better and the saving grace for the Jetta is the TDI and it's cheaper price tag.

·
Registered
48 Posts
They're equating sales to success and popularity, period.
In a poor economy, can you blame them?
Yea, I can blame them -- poor economy or not. Not meeting sales projections doesn't make the 500 a reliability risk (as they imply) nor does it make the 500 one of the most disliked cars in the minds of most people, including most auto journalists. It's not unpopular. People I encounter don't even know what it is when they see it, but that doesn't make it unpopular. It makes it pretty much unknown for now. Give it time.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts