Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good news: our shipment of V-MAXX coilovers are literally 10 minutes away from our store!!

Bad news: the container is stuck in customs for a random "intensive exam" :mad:. Our customs broker says they should be released in about a week.

A lot of you have been asking about the coilovers for a while now. This has been an incredibly difficult deal since no major manufacturer seemed interested in developing coilovers for the NA 500 so we did all the work and financing ourselves. Please be patient - they are almost here!

Moe info here: Fiat 500 V-MAXX coilovers. We're also planning a group buy when they arrive.

Some pics to keep us entertained in the meantime:

·
Registered
518 Posts
I'd have some concerns about those rear springs. The top 4 coils look like they're stacked against each other

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mark, they're like that by design. I asked the same question when we first installed them and one of the engineers at V-MAXX wrote back:
"Yes all is ok, this has to do with the design of the springs and what results we want to have. Those coils act as a pre-tension spring, and will be 99% of the time on each other."

These are the actual rear springs for the US 500 kit (ignore the front). The rear springs on the stock photo above are different but it was the closest studio shot I could find. Notice how close the top coils are. I believe the Bilsteins and Novitecs are like that also (at least looking at the pics when unloaded. The coils are also very close together).

Tweak, V-MAXX is based out of the Netherlands. Their suspensions (and soon their big brakes kits!) are designed and manufactured in-house. They spent six months tweaking the 500 suspension on their own Abarth, which is one of the reasons I went with them - they didn't borrow someone's car just to make sure they fit. They put a lot of time dialing out the ride. For the US suspension the front springs were changed (diameter only, not spring rate) and the factory top mounts were retained. We've had them on our 500 for two months without any fitment or clearance issues. The ride is great! Also, they're TUV certified and come with a 2-year warranty. Hope that helps :)

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Interested in group buy when it comes to fruition....

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll keep you posted. They finally cleared customs exam on Friday so we should have them in a couple of days.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I'll keep you posted. They finally cleared customs exam on Friday so we should have them in a couple of days.

Awesome! Please do! This is one deal I definately don't want to pass me by. I barely have 300 miles on the car and it's already begging to be dropped!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yup! Just picked up our first few boxes over the weekend:

More info and pics tomorrow. It has been a looooong day (and weekend) and the clumsy new forum is draining my last drops of energy.

·
Registered
128 Posts
What's the highest I can set these for ride height? I live I'm Wisconsin and would like to stay near stock height in the winter and drop for the spring thru fall.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
What's the highest I can set these for ride height? I live I'm Wisconsin and would like to stay near stock height in the winter and drop for the spring thru fall.
+1, how high can you go?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Us northerners drive these too don't ya know? Lol. Seriously though, snow's a b**** we need these lifted in the winter. What can you guys do?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, unfortunately the adjustable spring perch design do not allow for a large range of adjustment. 1.3" front and 1.6" rear from stock are the highest recommended drops (you could go higher but V-MAXX doen't recommend it).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts