Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just in case Santa doesn't have you on his list, I have the 500 short throw shifters on sale for Christmas. The price is $299 plus shipping. This is a complete kit with installation instructions.
This shifter will shorten lever travel by 28% and is a must for any performance driving. These are in stock and will ship immediately upon purchase

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I'd love to shorten the throw of the shifter in my car - but I'm sorry - the asking price for these short shift "kits" are absolutely absurd.

Reactions: Knuckledragger

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
That's close to what other short shifter kits for other low volume cars run. I paid $260ish for the short shifter kit in my Mazdaspeed3. It's not a VW kit where you just replace the arm in the engine bay for $99. If it's like the shifter in my Mazda (and after seeing pics of the TWM one) it replaced the entire base and shaft. I said base and shaft.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the regular price is $325. When you look at the complexity of the shifter kit it's pretty obvious you're not going to see anyone building these for prices in the $100 range. If you factor the cost over the life of the car, it's really a reasonable upgrade and really enhances the driving experience.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
the regular price is $325. When you look at the complexity of the shifter kit it's pretty obvious you're not going to see anyone building these for prices in the $100 range. If you factor the cost over the life of the car, it's really a reasonable upgrade and really enhances the driving experience.
While I agree that $100ish is an unrealisticly low expectation - I can't see spending more on a short throw kit than I did my cold air intake. By no means am I directing my comment at you personally - I'm sure the pricing on these things will come down as the market for "enhancements" increases in the US. I'll just spend my money on other performance enhancers and wait till these get cheaper - or when someone parts out their traded car and I can pick up a gently used example - whichever occours first. :)

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
While I appreciate attempts at frugality, especially in this economy, if you break down the cost over the life of the car it's a reasonable expense. Let's say you intend to keep the car for 10 yrs, then the cost per year of the upgrade is $30. If you wait 5 yrs to find a unit for $200, you're spending $40/yr and have missed out on the increased driving enjoyment.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I was told there would be no math.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Since we're doing math. This shifter probably has a markup in the range of 40 - 60%. This gives you 2 choices. Keep the price high, and sell less but make more, OR lower the price and sell more and make even more

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
While I appreciate attempts at frugality, especially in this economy, if you break down the cost over the life of the car it's a reasonable expense. Let's say you intend to keep the car for 10 yrs, then the cost per year of the upgrade is $30. If you wait 5 yrs to find a unit for $200, you're spending $40/yr and have missed out on the increased driving enjoyment.
While I can appreciate attempts at making a sales pitch - with all due respect - were you actually able to type this whilst maintaining a straight face?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I don't see why everyone is making a big deal on the price. You get what you pay for and no one seems to get that we bought a car where there isn't as big of demand for aftermarket stuff so we do have to pay a slight premium because these companies wont be selling a ton of the parts that they spent a lot of time and money on for r&d .B&M charges around 250 for their shift kit so for me I think 299 is pretty fair.
That's just my opinion though.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I don't see why everyone is making a big deal on the price. You get what you pay for and no one seems to get that we bought a car where there isn't as big of demand for aftermarket stuff so we do have to pay a slight premium because these companies wont be selling a ton of the parts that they spent a lot of time and money on for r&d .B&M charges around 250 for their shift kit so for me I think 299 is pretty fair.
That's just my opinion though.
Who's to say that you get what you pay for? Seems to me that the one I mentioned has a pretty good reputation as well as a lower cost & printed reviews (on the Mini Cooper side.) Print mags do not put their name on the table as easily as a web-site as magazines do not vanish, a web post can vanish at any time. Of course their Mini offering is in the 200 range and adjustable, though.

Cost does not cement anything.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
how can you compare prices of parts for two completely different cars? The fact that a Mini shifter sells for $200 has nothing to do with the price of a shifter for a Fiat.

·
Registered
269 Posts
how can you compare prices of parts for two completely different cars? The fact that a Mini shifter sells for $200 has nothing to do with the price of a shifter for a Fiat.

First of all, the price comparison was in your favor, as it showed that the manufacture in question was charging more for the Fiat product then their Mini product.

Their Mini Shifter sells for 179.00, while their Fiat shifter's list price is 299.00. (Which happens to be your sale price.)

Not that we have that cleared up, how about answering the question asked in the post: What are the advantages that your product has over the competition, let's say Craven Speed just to stay on the same theme that costs less and has a reputation with previous/similar products.

By the way, calling your potential customers 'Frugal' might not be good for business. Seems to me if I recall that the Fiat 500 won the "Hottest Sport Compact" at SEMA which despite slow current sales will still validate an increasing aftermarket product demand.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Wow. This is a tough crowd. I am glad I am not in the business of selling aftermarket parts for Fiats. By the way, I would be surprised if these guys can stay in business if their markup is only 40%. Anybody who has ever paid liability insurance, general insurance coverage, healthcare and benefits, worker's comp, corporate taxes, employers payroll contributions (about 45% of every dollar in wages paid in California), utilities, a lease on their building, marketing, new product development, tooling, prototypes, interest on lines of credit, etc. will agree that successfully staying in any small business is darn near impossible today. The bottom line is that if the aftermarket can sell parts into the Fiat market and make money at it, they will release new products and be around long enough to stand behind what was already sold. If they can't make money they will start building stuff for a market that is profitable (maybe Honda Civics) and we will all resort to home building our own Fiat parts. Whether you want to buy a shifter, exhaust, intake, etc. or not, respectfully, lets cut the guys who are actually investing in and tooling up to build Fiat parts some slack. Hey, just one guys opinion who would love to see more companies enter the Fiat market and build more new product.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
You're right about the 40% to a point. Lower profit margin leads to more sales. Which in turn leads to more profit.

because the Fiat is new, there is a lot of gouging out there

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Wow - what a thread.... people can be so touchy!!!!

Let me just say officially - I am simply voicing my opinion here and certainly mean no disrespect to anyone trying to be a pioneer when it comes to aftermarket development. I do however take issue with items that are overpriced just because "companies" simply think they can be. I have been in the material handling industry for well over a decade and I undertand plenty about tooling, aftermarket and what OE actually means.

I'm fine paying for quality. I'm certain I stated that. I'm also sure I made mention of my understanding that the aftermarket for these cars is still in it's infancy - in this country anyway.

I paid less than $250.00 for my Injen intake that I can say without a doubt made a performance difference in my car. "Butt dyno" aside - the car is more driveable especially in the higher rps's and at highway speed. Makes me want to look into an exhaust and possibly the RRM timing controller.

Again - as I said - I would love to shorten the throw of my shifter. I would pay for that. BUT - am I really going to go drop $300+ to reduce shifter throw by some inch and a half so it "feels better"? No. Others might, and will - I won't. I can find better ways to spend $300.00. That was my point. It's not a comment about engineering, development nor quality. It's about the fact that I think (in my opinion) that it's too much money to invest (for me) for the result gained. If I keep this car 10 years it would be a first twice over - I'll stick to the mods that give me the most bang for my buck in the short term thank you.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts