Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So about a year ago I bought a Nissan Juke SV AWD, but beforehand fell in love with the 500 when I was finally able to play in one at an auto show. At the time of purchase, the Fiat was not available in the US. Since then, I have been to the dealership a few times and still have not pulled the trigger.

My biggest complaint with the Juke is the mileage. I drive almost exclusively in a urban environment (Washington DC); my daily commute is 8 miles which can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 1.25 hours, depending on traffic. I rarely go over 40 mph and if I do, it probably only for a few seconds. In the past year, I average about 17 mpg city (regular fuel), 19 mpg city (premium fuel), and about 24-27 mpg highway (premium). Frankly, I bought the Juke because it is a good fit for my lifestyle, but the mileage is killing me! This combined with the small fuel tank (~10 gallons) is really annoying. If the Juke obtained the EPA projected mileage (of 25 city30 highway) I would be completely happy, but it doesn't come close :( Admittedly, I like to accelerate from stop lights and I have a bit of a lead foot, but I tried driving like a "normal person" and mileage increased maybe by 1-2 mpg.

To help with this decision, I was hoping some members may be able to provide their experience with respect to EPA projected mileage under similar driving conditions as my daily commute. I have read some posts about mpg, which seem promising.

If it does happen, I have my eye on an olive green Sport :D

·
Registered
453 Posts
I do 99% city miles. I average 22mph. I drive for FUN, not conservation, and I get 31mpg. Take that, Juke! :)

Reactions: rafazinhos

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So about a year ago I bought a Nissan Juke SV AWD, but beforehand fell in love with the 500 when I was finally able to play in one at an auto show. At the time of purchase, the Fiat was not available in the US. Since then, I have been to the dealership a few times and still have not pulled the trigger.

My biggest complaint with the Juke is the mileage. I drive almost exclusively in a urban environment (Washington DC); my daily commute is 8 miles which can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 1.25 hours, depending on traffic. I rarely go over 40 mph and if I do, it probably only for a few seconds. In the past year, I average about 17 mpg city (regular fuel), 19 mpg city (premium fuel), and about 24-27 mpg highway (premium). Frankly, I bought the Juke because it is a good fit for my lifestyle, but the mileage is killing me! This combined with the small fuel tank (~10 gallons) is really annoying. If the Juke obtained the EPA projected mileage (of 25 city30 highway) I would be completely happy, but it doesn't come close :( Admittedly, I like to accelerate from stop lights and I have a bit of a lead foot, but I tried driving like a "normal person" and mileage increased maybe by 1-2 mpg.

To help with this decision, I was hoping some members may be able to provide their experience with respect to EPA projected mileage under similar driving conditions as my daily commute. I have read some posts about mpg, which seem promising.

If it does happen, I have my eye on an olive green Sport :D
My original post should have read accelerate quickly from stop lights.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I almost got a juke. lol

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
If MPG is your first priority, I also think a hybrid is the way to go.
The 500 is a mix of many things. It is not a killer in any one category. It is a complete picture and you either like it for what it is, or you won't be happy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If MPG is your first priority, I also think a hybrid is the way to go.
The 500 is a mix of many things. It is not a killer in any one category. It is a complete picture and you either like it for what it is, or you won't be happy.
I wouldn't say that MPG is my number one priority. I looked at the hybrids when I was shopping for the Juke last year, and I wasn't the biggest fan.

As you said, the Fiat is mix of many things. For me it ticks almost all of the right boxes. I would so be happy to see 30 mpg city (nearly doubling my current MPG)!

·
Registered
222 Posts
If you got the Juke AWD, you got the slushbox, right?

If so, a comparable 500 auto is rated at 27 city; no way you'll get 30, and will most probably get a substantially lower than 27 average, based on your commute. Better than the Juke, but definitely not worth the hit to your wallet you'd take on trade-in.

If you get the manny, it's rated at 30, saves you a grand (which would cover a lot of fill-ups! :)), and is more fun. Not sure if you'd be interested in that, though.

·
Registered
175 Posts
If you got the Juke AWD, you got the slushbox, right?

If so, a comparable 500 auto is rated at 27 city; no way you'll get 30, and will most probably get a substantially lower than 27 average, based on your commute. Better than the Juke, but definitely not worth the hit to your wallet you'd take on trade-in.

If you get the manny, it's rated at 30, saves you a grand (which would cover a lot of fill-ups! :)), and is more fun. Not sure if you'd be interested in that, though.

I have a 500 Cabrio Automatic which is rated 27 City and I actually get 34 City and 41 on the Highway. Its a great little car that is a blast to drive.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have a 500 Cabrio Automatic which is rated 27 City and I actually get 34 City and 41 on the Highway. Its a great little car that is a blast to drive.
Do you have a godforsaken commute of 8 miles that can take up to 75 minutes, though? That's the driver for his question, and unless he goes hybrid, it's going to be very tough for him to get very good mpgs, no matter what car he drives. Though a Ninja could get him to the office in 6 mins or less, and do it with great gas mileage. :D

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
I get 32.5 mpg, average most the time. City 10% Highway 90%. Car only has 3,000 miles on it. Really not broken in yet. I haven't been on a long road trip yet. Lets see if it gets any better. This car has a automatic in it too.

·
Registered
765 Posts
You'd be better off with a hybrid, or electric.

There is an electric 500 coming

Are you insane? Driving under 20 miles a day? A hybrid would be a terrible waste of money...just how much are you going to save in fuel at 100 miles a week....not enough to even think about paying a premium for a hybrid.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Do you have a godforsaken commute of 8 miles that can take up to 75 minutes, though? That's the driver for his question, and unless he goes hybrid, it's going to be very tough for him to get very good mpgs, no matter what car he drives. Though a Ninja could get him to the office in 6 mins or less, and do it with great gas mileage. :D
Do it everyday in Dallas with an auto, this tank showing 32mpgs. Don't base you assumptions about any car using the epa figures, they are just averages for cars in our catagory.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Honestly, there really isn't anything the OP can do to improve his drive much.
He's in an extremely aggressive commuting area, and there's not too much he can do to be less aggressive, as the drivers in that area will actively kill him if he tries to drive in a way that will get him any better mileage.

Since they all have either political or military connections, then his death, and possibly his very existence will be covered up, and all his posts here on this forum will then be erased. If we ask questions about "What every happened to what's his name?", then we will be iced, too.

OP, honestly, if you want to save money, on an 8 mile uber-urban city commute, you need to buy a bicycle. You will get to work quicker, and you will be in the best shape of your life since you were a little kid, AND save a ton of money.

BC.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
I drive in rush hour traffic every day. I am getting 43 mpg with my 500. The ICU shows an average speed of about 35 mph per tank. The only high performance that is possible on clogged roads is high gas mileage.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Running on 89 octane in a Sport automatic driving 95% city and 5% highway and definitely not trying to conserve fuel I average anywhere from about 29-31 miles per hour and get 31/32 MPGs, the one longish trip of around 200 miles I mainly used cruise and managed around 42 MPGs, getting the 500 in manual or auto will without a doubt help improve your savings in fuel even for short trips like you are dealing with daily.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts