Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Be SURE to read the last comment.

"I hate it, absolutely hate it. "

"...approaching 45K, the rotors are warped , as I can feel pulsation when applying brakes. The car does shake again on the highway. Also the gas mileage is junk! Probably the way I drive because I went from a 6 cyl to 4, but when being conservative I only got 27mpg at best. Interior cheap and uncomfortable, paint is chipping on plastic body parts."

"I have had the weirdest problems with this car, ie accelerator and brake pedals that have a mind of their own. In the past year the car has developed an annoying and extremely dangerous problem where the tension of the gas pedal seems to be constantly changing. Sometimes, it responds with just the slightest amount of pressure, other times, applying it with the exact same amount of force results in no acceleration at all. It's like the car encounters dead spots where it simply refuses to accelerate. You'll need a burst of power to pass or just to get out of someone's way, and it won't be there! "

"The interior materials seem to be cheap. The SE vehicle suspension is horrible. You can every bump. The acceleration in the 4 cylinder veh was OK until the recall on the brake pedal. Now the acceleration is horrible!!!"

"I had the car for 5k miles and it already needed new brakes. The take off is terrible, the RPM's go very high on take off, it smells like it is burning and the interior is very poor. My air circulator turns off all the time letting the outside air in and the ride is really rough. The clearance is terrible and now @ 40k miles the dealer tells me that I have to get a fuel injector cleaner on 3 of the injectors (at 150 a pop), "

"This car jerks before it accelerates. It lurks when the brakes are applied. The interior materials looks like it's made of cheap plastic."

Last Comment: All of the above comments are about...the 2009 Toyota Camry from Edmunds site.
Proof that no car is immune from imperfection and complaints. I have now have 30,000 miles on my FIAT 500 and it combines peace of mind and flair I've never had in any car. Like the old FIAT ads said
'Seems the more you drive it the better it gets". So when you read any negative comments about the 500 keep the above in mind. FIAT did well here.

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
My brother's 2 year old Acura TL brakes, are warped too. What do you want for 40 grand. It seems every car I've owned, at some point, has had warped front brakes. That's normal for disc brakes. It will happen to the 500 too. New pads, and turn the rotors.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
My brother's 2 year old Acura TL brakes, are warped too. What do you want for 40 grand. It seems every car I've owned, at some point, has had warped front brakes. That's normal for disc brakes. It will happen to the 500 too. New pads, and turn the rotors.
My 08 GTI had same rotors for the 4 years I owned it never had any problems!

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
588 Posts
Thanks for this, Sam! I knew the article wasn't about the FIAT, but I had no idea it was about the 2009 Toyota Camry.

·
Registered
7 Posts
juliusb

Relative to the farce Fiat 500 comments (that turned out to be about a 2009 Camry)
I remember the original Fiat 500 (2 cylinder, rear engine version at: $1290. delivered in Toledo back in 1959)
It carried driver and 3 passengers and averaged 50 miles per gallon. For a few bucks more you could order a Fiat 600
with four cylinder engine. So my point is...whats with the inflated 500 prices...this car should be priced at: $10,000. base, not $15,000.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Maybe if the 500 still had a 2-cylinder...but seeing as it now comes with the 4, you can hardly advocate that it is the same. You can try all you want, but you will never be able to convince me that there is a car more worthy of the asking price.
Cartoon Animated cartoon Leaf vegetable Vegetable Illustration

·
Registered
7 Posts
juliusb

High priced Fiat 500? .....OK, I got it....like the old saying goes " If ya want economy, ya gotta pay for it"
Trouble is the Fiat 500 is quite a poor scorer in the price range that it occupies.
We will have to wait and see what the Sonic by G.M. offers in reliability & economy after its been around as long as the 500. For now, I would put my 2005 Neon up against any Fiat 500....economy, reliability, space etc.
It's all fun...they are cute & cuddly and truthfully, will probably never catch on in North America.:)

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Relative to the farce Fiat 500 comments (that turned out to be about a 2009 Camry)
I remember the original Fiat 500 (2 cylinder, rear engine version at: $1290. delivered in Toledo back in 1959)
It carried driver and 3 passengers and averaged 50 miles per gallon. For a few bucks more you could order a Fiat 600
with four cylinder engine. So my point is...whats with the inflated 500 prices...this car should be priced at: $10,000. base, not $15,000.
A lot more electronics, wages have changed, production costs are more, logistics, oh and don't forget unions and pensions.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
High priced Fiat 500? .....OK, I got it....like the old saying goes " If ya want economy, ya gotta pay for it"
Trouble is the Fiat 500 is quite a poor scorer in the price range that it occupies.
We will have to wait and see what the Sonic by G.M. offers in reliability & economy after its been around as long as the 500. For now, I would put my 2005 Neon up against any Fiat 500....economy, reliability, space etc.
It's all fun...they are cute & cuddly and truthfully, will probably never catch on in North America.:)
What will never 'catch on?" The FIAT 500? They are already starting to sell in Mini numbers. Mini didn't catch on? Reliability? The 500 is doing great. 30,000 miles on mine and runs like new.I was at the NY auto show last week. At this price point, the other cars looked even cheaper than their base price. If you find the 500 to be a car worth 10k, you may consider a used 500 in a couple of years. After some time behind the wheel, you may appreciate it.
And if you just don’t like the 500, that's fine too. It's not for everyone. No car is.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry, one more thing, as to the logic of what FIAT cost in the 1950's as a basis for what they should cost today:
The 1959 Buick LaSabre was 1,495.
"What cost $1495 in 1959 would cost $11054.81
in 2010. "
I'm going to buy TWO new Buicks for 11 grand! ;)

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Maybe if the 500 still had a 2-cylinder...but seeing as it now comes with the 4, you can hardly advocate that it is the same. You can try all you want, but you will never be able to convince me that there is a car more worthy of the asking price.
View attachment 2591
The 2 cylinder exists, it's called a Twin Air. Numerous awards for engine design.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
16,000 + Free maintenance for three years + Fill up after 400 miles for less than 40 bucks = meets my definition of economy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok...the Fiat 500 is an economy car....like the Versa, Kia, etc. and fun to drive...my buddy had a
1958 Fiat Abarth Zagato (allum. body, bubble top) with 750 cc engine...back when Fiat tin cans were selling for $1200. to $1300. ...these Abarths were fetching over $3000. Now THEY were a car!
Sorry ...hard to get excited over throw-a-way cars patterned after the Zastava (Fiat of Yugoslavia)
or the Polski Fiat and lets not forget the Fiat Yugo brought to America by Canadian Bricklin.

In another 5 years, the Fiat 500 will be parts cars (oddities) orphaned by hitch-hiking enthusiasts. .... similar to what happened to Alfas in USA. Keep the faith....you are keeping Chysler afloat! Hooray....

1 - 20 of 49 Posts