Fiat 500 Forum banner

Convertible Maintenance

23K views 36 replies 23 participants last post by  Beani24 
#1 ·
I have a dealer with known issues regarding service. I wonder if anyone has experience doing the following maintenance on their Cabrio?
----Clean and lube sun roof tracks (LOP# 26-23-04-60)----

I am disabled so not sure if this is something I can even attempt. But I use the top (open & close) OFTEN here in San Diego area so want to be sure it actually gets done and done properly. Sadly I have to trust them next week for another oil change and am switching to synthetic. I seriously doubt they are even changing my oil filter and can only hope they actually USE the synthetic I am paying extra for.....Worst thing in my life is losing the ability to do the nice & simple stuff myself.

#3 ·
California is pretty consumer oriented. While it's no guarantee they were the ones from your car, without watching while they do the maintenance, you can always ask for the old parts to be returned to you. Also, if your Local Studio is a small one with a corresponding standalone small service area, you can probably keep an eye on them while they are actually doing the maintenance. Considering the amount of sun you get in SD I'd certainly get the track lubed per the maintenance schedule. I don't think I'd try doing it myself, and I'm not disabled. You should have multiple dealers in the So. Cal. region to pick from. Any dealer will service your car it does NOT have to be the one who sold it to you. They all like money as long as it's green and made in the U.S., lol. If the track should bind and the top not close when you really need it and there is no lube then you could be in a potentially compromised position with regard to warranty coverage.

I don't have a C but I do have a Sport with a sunroof and here in Florida the sun is also merciless. At my 1 year service they actually completely removed the sunroof glass panel and then liberally lubricated the track and mechanism before reattaching the glass sunroof to the assembly. I use a standalone FIAT Studio with only 2-3 lifts which used to have only 1 tech. Now they are busy enough that they have added at least 1 additional tech.

#6 ·
Bring in your own oil and ask for the empties back. I have done this in the past and they haven't taken offense to it yet. As far a lubing the tracks on the 500C I would ask the service manager to allow you to watch the service. I know the insurance will have a fit if you are injured back there, just don't let a car run you over! I have found that most shops will allow viewing of service. If not, shop around for one who will listen to your concerns and help you address them. With this economy, most shops will be willing to work with you especially if you have a valid reason such as a story of service not being done properly in the past. I would like to think most places are honest, and no doubt most are, but it only takes one.....

#8 ·
This is an old thread, but i'm wondering if anyone has done this? I looked thru the service manual and there are many pages dedicated to removing and reinstalling the top, but nothing specific on maintenance. Any tips on where to grease it up without a complete disassemble? I can only imaging what a dealer would charge for all that labor. Thanks.

#11 ·
The MOPAR parts desk at my local studio could not find a screw that attaches the bottom engine splash guard to the frame, they wanted to sell me the whole splash guard saying that it may come with the screws... They are good guys/gals but the Fiat parts system is not user friendly.

#13 · (Edited)
I just lubed the top on my 500c Abarth with Lucas white lithium grease. I couldn't find any instructions, so I just wiped as much grass as I could out of the tracks with paper towels, then added a thin layer with my finger.

It it opens and closes fine, and might be quieter... or it might be my imagination.

i also applied Gummi Pflege to the rubber seals around the roof, doors, trunk, and hood. It did quiet down the squeaking on bumpy roads.

#14 ·
A bit off-thread on topic of convertible maintenance...since there is no official 500C area...has anyone had one of these doodads snap?

Black Hand Material property Finger Strap

Is this what MOPAR calls a "Strap-Folding Top Tension" [Part No 68258920AA, $20.83]?

Thx in advance!

#15 ·
A bit off-thread on topic of convertible maintenance...since there is no official 500C area...has anyone had one of these doodads snap?

View attachment 97578

Is this what MOPAR calls a "Strap-Folding Top Tension" [Part No 68258920AA, $20.83]?

Thx in advance!
I know this post is 3 years old, but I'll give it a shot anyway: did you ever find that clip? The part number you referenced, 68258920aa, seems to be for the whole strap, and list for $400 or something...
thanks in advance (if you ever see this post) :)

#22 ·
I just fixed this problem. I purchased a sewing awl from Amazon and a 1/2" nylon webbing strap (that's the thinnest they sell). The roof's tension strap is a 1/4" so what I did was cut a piece of the 1/2" strap lengthwise then burned off along the frayed part I just cut with a lighter. I then sewed one end of the strap to the original roof strap, looped the other end around the opening of the broken buckle. While puling the strap through and holding tension I lastly sewed the other end back on to the strap just a little over the initial area I sewed. Cost me about $30 dollars for the awl and webbing.

Water Grille Hood Automotive tire Rectangle

#23 ·
I just fixed this problem. I purchased a sewing awl from Amazon and a 1/2" nylon webbing strap (that's the thinnest they sell). The roof's tension strap is a 1/4" so what I did was cut a piece of the 1/2" strap lengthwise then burned off along the frayed part I just cut with a lighter. I then sewed one end of the strap to the original roof strap, looped the other end around the opening of the broken buckle. While puling the strap through and holding tension I lastly sewed the other end back on to the strap just a little over the initial area I sewed. Cost me about $30 dollars for the awl and webbing.

View attachment 109879

#36 ·
I fixed my straps yesterday by poking a hole with a pick, and then pushing a small ziptie through. Easy fix, sinches up nice and tight like original. used another ziptie to hold the excess. You could poke multiple zipties through to reduce the strain on the strap, but I think its fine with one. View attachment 111024
Nice easy fix, is it holding up? Does the strap route above all the rails and such, our car has both side dangling by the seat headrests…?