Fiat 500 Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the exact same issue with my 2012 500c. It does not seem to affect the operation but cannot find the part on the parts website. If it means buying the $400 strap then forget it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just fixed this problem. I purchased a sewing awl from Amazon and a 1/2" nylon webbing strap (that's the thinnest they sell). The roof's tension strap is a 1/4" so what I did was cut a piece of the 1/2" strap lengthwise then burned off along the frayed part I just cut with a lighter. I then sewed one end of the strap to the original roof strap, looped the other end around the opening of the broken buckle. While puling the strap through and holding tension I lastly sewed the other end back on to the strap just a little over the initial area I sewed. Cost me about $30 dollars for the awl and webbing.

IMG_E0717[1].JPG

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just fixed this problem. I purchased a sewing awl from Amazon and a 1/2" nylon webbing strap (that's the thinnest they sell). The roof's tension strap is a 1/4" so what I did was cut a piece of the 1/2" strap lengthwise then burned off along the frayed part I just cut with a lighter. I then sewed one end of the strap to the original roof strap, looped the other end around the opening of the broken buckle. While puling the strap through and holding tension I lastly sewed the other end back on to the strap just a little over the initial area I sewed. Cost me about $30 dollars for the awl and webbing.

View attachment 109879

·
Registered
3 Posts
That’s great, I actually was in the hardware store last weekend and purchased the same webbing and was going to cut it down as well to loop through the old clip and sew it back on itself and the old strap. Now I know I’m on the right track. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine broke and I just taped strap back together with black duct tape. That was 2 year's ago! Still working fine.
Mine is snapped in half. Do you think capping the ends some way to keep it from moving through the track would help? (Taping them together on one side is impossible as it’s too short to meet. Makes me think it’s moving up in the track)

·
Registered
1 Posts
How did you sew this!!? Did you half to take the top off??
I’m pretty sure he didn’t remove the top but maybe he opened it to first stop? I’m learning all this because I just have a strap hanging and don’t have a clue where to begin but I’ll learn here I think.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’m pretty sure he didn’t remove the top but maybe he opened it to first stop? I’m learning all this because I just have a strap hanging and don’t have a clue where to begin but I’ll learn here I think.
Yeah me too. I have the same problem, but my roof seems to work just fine even with the straps broken on both sides. Looking foward to fix it anyway.

·
Registered
6 Posts

View attachment 109879
Luckily I didn't have to remove the top. When I fixed it the top was up and I was able to just lift up the roof's headliner to get to the strap. I never used a sewing awl. I Youtubed it and there are several tutorials you can watch. If your buckle is still attached to the other strap like mine was there is a small slot where you can pass the repaired/extension strap through. If you just have two straps and no buckle then I suppose you can bridge the two with the nylon webbing and sew together.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Luckily I didn't have to remove the top. When I fixed it the top was up and I was able to just lift up the roof's headliner to get to the strap. I never used a sewing awl. I Youtubed it and there are several tutorials you can watch. If your buckle is still attached to the other strap like mine was there is a small slot where you can pass the repaired/extension strap through. If you just have two straps and no buckle then I suppose you can bridge the two with the nylon webbing and sew together.
Could you please provide the links for the videos you mentioned? I've searched a lot but didn't fine anything.

·
Registered
4 Posts
One more thing, how much tension you need to put on those straps?

·
Registered
6 Posts
One more thing, how much tension you need to put on those straps?

The link above will give you an idea how to use the sewing tool. There is not any video on actual repair of the roof straps.

Pull the strap tight enough where you still have some give when you push it with your finger. It does not have to be super tight. I suppose the most ideal way to find out how tight the tension on the straps should be is to find someone who has a Fiat 500c or go to a Fiat dealer. Fortunately, my car's other strap was not broken so I had something to compare it to.

·
Registered
4 Posts

The link above will give you an idea how to use the sewing tool. There is not any video on actual repair of the roof straps.

Pull the strap tight enough where you still have some give when you push it with your finger. It does not have to be super tight. I suppose the most ideal way to find out how tight the tension on the straps should be is to find someone who has a Fiat 500c or go to a Fiat dealer. Fortunately, my car's other strap was not broken so I had something to compare it to.
Dude, I can't thank you enough! Just did it to my 500 and it worked flawlessly. Didn't used an sewing awl since I wasn't able to get one from nowhere nearby, so I used an curved needle. The process was really straight forward, and I never sewed before. If anyone wants any tips I will be glad to help :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dude, I can't thank you enough! Just did it to my 500 and it worked flawlessly. Didn't used an sewing awl since I wasn't able to get one from nowhere nearby, so I used an curved needle. The process was really straight forward, and I never sewed before. If anyone wants any tips I will be glad to help :)

View attachment 110112
Nice. Looks good. Great Job!!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts