Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wonderful sunny day, mid-70s. Had to run an errand and knew I'd be on highway most of the way, so... down came the top. Ahhhhh. THIS is why I went cabrio.

Arrived at my destination so I hit the button to close the top. Released the button, expecting the top to continue closing to the first position. Top stopped closing as soon as I released the button. Hmm.

Thought maybe I'd just not held the button long enough so pressed it longer this time. Again, the top stopped closing as soon as I released the button. Uh oh.

Needed to run to my appointment so I held the button to close it all the way. As soon as the top fully closed into the body (above the windshield), I heard this -- how do I describe it? -- mixture of a metallic click and something "snapping" (as in breaking). I let go of the button quickly. Yikes. WTH? Cautiously pushed the button again and I heard the sound as long as I continued to depress the button.

THIS HAPPEN TO ANYONE ELSE?

IDEAS??

Obviously something is broken. Top worked fine just last night.

:confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Wonderful sunny day, mid-70s. Had to run an errand and knew I'd be on highway most of the way, so... down came the top. Ahhhhh. THIS is why I went cabrio.

Arrived at my destination so I hit the button to close the top. Released the button, expecting the top to continue closing to the first position. Top stopped closing as soon as I released the button. Hmm.

Thought maybe I'd just not held the button long enough so pressed it longer this time. Again, the top stopped closing as soon as I released the button. Uh oh.

Needed to run to my appointment so I held the button to close it all the way. As soon as the top fully closed into the body (above the windshield), I heard this -- how do I describe it? -- mixture of a metallic click and something "snapping" (as in breaking). I let go of the button quickly. Yikes. WTH? Cautiously pushed the button again and I heard the sound as long as I continued to depress the button.

THIS HAPPEN TO ANYONE ELSE?

IDEAS??

Obviously something is broken. Top worked fine just last night.

:confused::confused::confused:
Yeah.. those noises doesnt seem to be a good sign.. Id check with your studio.. I know it may be inconvenient but thats what the warranty is for and a top repair can be very expensive, especially if its the frame, top or motor.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah.. those noises doesnt seem to be a good sign.. Id check with your studio.. I know it may be inconvenient but thats what the warranty is for and a top repair can be very expensive, especially if its the frame, top or motor.
I spoke with the studio this morning and the service manager told me that it sounds as though the soft top is "out of sync." Whatever that means. He asked me if I could open my trunk, and I couldn't, even with the top fully closed, which is apparently a sign that the computer is confused where in the open/close cycle the top is. Going in tomorrow to have it "re-synced."

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I've recommended this to another member and it worked, so if you can try this maybe it'll save you a trip.

1. Confirm the trunk and top are closed
2. Hold the OPEN button to move the top in the fully open position
3. Continue to hold the button for 3 seconds
4. Release the button
5. Hold the CLOSE button to move the top to the fully closed position
6. Continue to hold the CLOSE button until the top begins to cycle fully open, then release the CLOSE button

At the end of step 6, the top will automatically cycle to the fully open position and then close to the 1/4 open position. This will confirm that the reprogram was successful.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I spoke with the studio this morning and the service manager told me that it sounds as though the soft top is "out of sync." Whatever that means. He asked me if I could open my trunk, and I couldn't, even with the top fully closed, which is apparently a sign that the computer is confused where in the open/close cycle the top is. Going in tomorrow to have it "re-synced."
ok, great.. let me know if you need any further assistance after the studio checks it out.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've recommended this to another member and it worked, so if you can try this maybe it'll save you a trip.

4. Release the button
6. Continue to hold the CLOSE button until the top begins to cycle fully open, then release the CLOSE button

At the end of step 6, the top will automatically cycle to the fully open position and then close to the 1/4 open position. This will confirm that the reprogram was successful.
Cool. I'll give it a try. Thanks, lorvar!

·
Registered
401 Posts
My top was doing this but I did not get to the point where I heard a breaking nois. I reset it using those steps and it has been fine since. (a couple of months)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

4. Release the button

The above procedure worked like a charm! Yea. Saves me an 80-minute r/t drive and God knows how long cooling my heels at the studio.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My top made the "breaking noise" - and is BROKEN! The pulley/ strap popped loose from the plastic coupler. Top no longer workable, trunk won't open, rear defroster won't work...car is pretty useless as it is. Was told at dealership this is a $4,000 dollar fix. My car is a 2012...he said the fix is more than the car is worth...CRAP!

·
Registered
12,572 Posts

·
Banned
4,743 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
If my 500C died this way, I'd hop onto any of the Italian Fiat sites and start searching for similar experiences -- using Google translate. Italy has a much wider user base -- and there's nothing to lose.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
My top made the "breaking noise" - and is BROKEN! The pulley/ strap popped loose from the plastic coupler. Top no longer workable, trunk won't open, rear defroster won't work...car is pretty useless as it is. Was told at dealership this is a $4,000 dollar fix. My car is a 2012...he said the fix is more than the car is worth...CRAP!
I am under jasperfuzz with the same issue. No one will fix my car, not even the rude fiat dealer when I was in tears over the $4000 cost they quote me. I took it to two independent places. All said bad design , get rid of the car. Wrote to corporate and I will not back off to a fiat issue. Should have been recalled. How dare fiat not support their cars. My car is useless too. 2012, trunk or defroster won’t work. I have a freaking string connected to my inside safety latch on my trunk. Pathetic. My beautiful fiat is a piece of ****. I’ll put this fiat issue in every paper and dealer if corporate won’t do something for me.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts