Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you convertible owners like the top? Do you run with it fully open most of the time? How much road noise does it let in?

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
I don't have a soft top. When we test drove one. It was a little nosier on the highway, then the hard tops. Wind noise. Not really too bad. When the top is all the way down, you can't see out the back. My sunroof model is very noisy on the highway with the roof open too. I like the soft tops, when the roof is part way down, and you can see out the back. The only reason we didn't get a soft top was, it didn't come in the sport model.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I had mine open as often as I could. There's a pretty big heat retention difference between having the top open and all the way down.

it was noisy...but quieter than previous converts I've driven.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a 1994 Miata. Its noisy, small, and uncomfortable. But all that goes away when the top is down :)

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
Nothing like a soft top, in spring time, at night, with a pretty Italian girl next to you.

Don't tell my wife!

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Nothing like a soft top, in spring time, at night, with a pretty Italian girl next to you.

Don't tell my wife!

My Argentinian wife knows, but the Italian girl sits in the back. Those are the rules.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Having previously owned a mini convertible, I can tell you that most of the bothersome noise is from other cars and trucks. Convertibles are great if you live and drive in a rural area, but you do not want to commute on a multilane freeway with one. Just my op.

·
Registered
182 Posts
We love our 500c and drive top down as often as possible. I find it less noisy than most convertibles (with the top down) due to the unique type of convertible that is the Fiat Cabriolet. An even bigger plus is that I don't think there is a convertible anywhere near the price range of the Fiat that also offers similar features. We give it 5 stars.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You must never drive it? HAHA!

Mine is an R package with a roll bar, that dont help. But it sure handles nice :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
With the top down, ALL convertibles subject the occupants to more noise. Everything in life is a trade-off, and you pay for the smile on your face from experiencing the wind and the sun. With the top up, I've found the 500C to be remarkably quiet. That opinion comes from my rememberance of having previously owned something in the neighborhood of 20 other different rag tops over the years.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very nice! So you cant get the Sport package in a 500C. So to get the manual transmission you have to get the Pop?

·
Registered
181 Posts
if youre looking to buy a convertible and are concerned with noise, dont get a convertible.
simple solution.

You must never drive it? HAHA!

Mine is an R package with a roll bar, that dont help. But it sure handles nice :)
if and when your car rolls over, youre going to be glad you have the roll bar.

Very nice! So you cant get the Sport package in a 500C. So to get the manual transmission you have to get the Pop?
NO!
sir, you have a lot of figuring out to do...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Jumping to the only real problem with the top other than rear visibility when the it's all the way back, still some just limited. Whenever the top is open in virtually any position at any speed above about 35 MPH there is a vacuum buffet effect that requires the windows to be down at least partially. Same thing I've experienced in most sunroofs that have no or a limited wind diffuser. So unlike the mentioned Miatas here (I've owned two) there is no comfortable top down windows up heater on a cold day motoring. Other than that it's quieter than a VW New Beetle ragtop with the top up and not bad compared to solid roof cars. Nosier yes but not anywhere near the Miata DB level. I considered a regular coupe with a sunroof but the headroom takes a hit, no headroom problem with the "C" top up or down.

Good luck deciding.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Whenever the top is open in virtually any position at any speed above about 35 MPH there is a vacuum buffet effect that requires the windows to be down at least partially.
2nd the noise and need for cracking the windows but it's still pretty nice, and the top can be opened/closed which moving till about 50 or so.

I have a pop because I wanted a 5 speed, would have gone for lounge for the seats, fog lights, couple things but couldn't do the automatic thing

Not that it's ever really that cold here (like it was outside Boston) but with the warmer day, having the roof open was really nice..

·
Registered
424 Posts
Having a sunroof car I do wish the rear quarter windows opened like they used to do in the good old days. You do need to slightly open the front windows which is slightly less convenient. Caution wake turbulence.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I got the Pop 500c and love it. Great price too. My daughter, 11, will most likely learn to drive on this car so I had to get a stick. I am not going to raise a kid who can't drive a manual transmission.
Being in SoCal I have had the roof down for 99% of all my driving since I got the car about 2 months ago.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts