Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A 2013 abarth came up for sale near me with a blown engine (50k miles). I've always liked the abarths and I'm thinking about taking this on as a project.

How much is a replacement engine and how big of a PITA is it to change it? especially considering how small the compartment is.

Are there any cool things you could do if you're swapping in a new engine?

Appreciate any help guys!

·
Registered
13,898 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Walk away. Cheaper to invest in a working car. Have you ever replaced a engine, in a modern car? I’d Look though eBay, for salvage Abarth engines. European ones. There are some You tube video’s on the task.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
36 Posts
A 2013 abarth came up for sale near me with a blown engine (50k miles). I've always liked the abarths and I'm thinking about taking this on as a project.

How much is a replacement engine and how big of a PITA is it to change it? especially considering how small the compartment is.

If it’s available and the price is right, I’d go for it. The engine is not difficult to remove, although it is labor intensive. I recommend sourcing a low-mileage replacement used engine, and make sure that it comes with the ECU. You should be able to reuse everything else from the current engine and swap it over to the new one.
If you were considering paying to have it done, it’s likely not worth the money. But if you don’t mind diving in and doing it yourself, it may take a weekend or two, but you’ll have the experience of doing an engine swap and you’ll feel truly connected with your car.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I just replaced the engine on my 2013 Abarth. It took some time to find a used engine that was compatible, low mileage and a shop that would do it for me. It was worth it in my opinion. I love love love my Abarth! I’ve never driven a car that feels like an extension of my body. I needed to get a new and bigger car. I put close to 10K a year on my Fiat. It’s been 4 months and I’ve gone out of my way to clean and detail her and I just don’t want to let her go. If this rambling give you any clue about what what it feels like to own an Abarth you’re moving in the right direction.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts