Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm new to the forum having bought a 2013 Abarth back at the end of July. Today I called the local dealership for my 30k maintenance. I was quoted a cost of $580. This seemed odd as according to my owners manual the only things required at this check up are 1. Checking the CV joints, 2. Changing the air filter, and 3. Changing the spark plugs. I asked about this and the service rep rattled off an extended list of things they had to do stated that these were all things that Fiat specified were supposed to be done and that superceded what was listed in my owners book for scheduled maintenance. I asked what they would charge for just doing the things in listed in my book and was told it would be $200 to change the sparkplugs. That was about the time I told them that I'd be taking my service elsewhere.

Now, I've always been a do my mechanicing myself kind of a gal and so maybe it just rubs me the wrong way but that was the point that I decided to take over my own work on my car. (I've rebuilt vw engines and done motorcycle restorations so I'm pretty mechanically adept)

Is service on these cars always so jacked up?

Thanks for letting me rant.

Puffin.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I've found part prices can be reasonable but to be honest, I do generally feel dealership costs are high at many brands

·
Registered
613 Posts
Huh, I'm coming up on my 30K maintenance on my Sport. I have been telling the dealer to only due what's said in my owner's manual and they were fine with that.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Service departments at any dealership are always high. I've found Fiat to be non-flexible on many things... ex they quoted me 4 hours to install lowering springs when I know both the rears together can be done in less than 30 minutes...

As for maintenance services... just look at what is suggested and either do them yourself or get a separate quote... the 30k looks like it's just an oil change and inspection. Spark plugs (4) can be bought online for $25 (http://www.amazon.com/NGK-DCPR7E-N-10-Traditional-Spark-Plug/dp/B002W8GEMQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1455295473&sr=8-1&keywords=fiat+500+ngk+spark+plug) and labor should not be more than 1 hour for them. All the rest of inspections you can do yourself.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I'd rather spend the money buying tools and upgrade parts. $200.00 to change spark plugs. Sheesh! I ordered the plugs from Amazon. Now just researching the proper lubricant for cleaning and lubricating the sun roof tracks. Thanks for the help guys.

Puffin.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It's funny I just went through this same song and dance with my dealership. They wanted to flush the brake system and the fuel injection system, and replace spark plugs, air filter , cabin filter. I did none of that. I will , like you, be ordering a set of plugs and the air and cabin filters, and install them all myself. Maybe pour a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank and call it a day.
By the way, in my experience all dealerships operate this way. Up sell up sell up sell! I've had Toyotas and Hondas and always the same experience.
good for you for getting in there and getting your hands dirty!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I do the cabin filter every fall in all my vehicles and they are always filthy after 12 months... you shouldn't have that in long enough (multi-years) to need the dealership to do it. 10 minute job yourself.
Engine filter is a DIY job on just about any car... a bit tight with the 500 but if you don't want to do it yourself this is a perfect job for an indi shop.
I had Fiat do the plugs last summer when it was in for an oil change, they quoted me $50 bucks if I brought in my own so I figured what the heck...
Brake fluid is good to do every few years... I may find an indi shop to do it for me if Fiat wants to rip me off... :D

·
Registered
86 Posts
To play Devil's advocate- I used to work in a Honda parts department, so I witnessed a lot of service business, good and bad. The dealer goes by 'book rate', that is, what the prescribed rate is from the manufacturer. We had one veteran tech who would do 50 billable hours (by the 'book') in about four. He did excellent work and the customers were happy. However, maybe a three-hour job somehow ended up taking six. Something came up, the tech accidentally broke something (that NEVER happens!). They still get paid off the three hours. It's all good, and it's incentive for the tech to get up to speed.

But I'm seeing the 32k service as one of the biggies, as you all have detailed. As long as my warranty is good, I'm doing dealer service so there is no question about the work. As you might expect (and can you blame them?), manufacturers are looking for ANY excuse not to pay a warranty claim. I would, too.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My studio, now closed, only charged a bit over 100 dollars for the 30k service. Chrysler dodge dealers carry the parts too. (The Dodge Dart uses the same motor, also the jeep renegade.). Parts should be cheap and ubiquitous... Unless you're being gouged

·
Registered
517 Posts
And the exact, OE-identical plugs for our 1.4 Turbo are something like $20-$25 ea. So, $200 to change the plugs on the Abarth doesn't sound completely insane given that they're probably charging about an hour of labor. That said, it's an inline four.... I wouldn't pay to have the stealership do the plugs. It's not like it's a flat six Subaru Legacy or V10 Ford Econoline or anything horrible like that.

The Hyundai stealerships used to quote $450 to do sparkplugs on any of the 2.7 V6 cars (these were a transverse V6 with bank one about 1/4" from the firewall). Iridium NGK plugs for those were about $50/set, but swapping required pulling the intake, throttle body, and upper intake manifold/plenum. This also involved disconnecting a lot of other items, and on some cars, this would include the purge valve and some of the hoses for that. Yay! I learned how to do what was a ~3 hour job in the book in about 45 minutes by the time I sold that car, ha.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Finished my "30K" in the driveway today in under an hour. It would've been 30 minutes but I dropped a bolt (that took longer to retrieve than it did to swap the plugs) and I discovered when they swapped my harness they didn't reattach the actuator that controls fresh vs recirculated air. It was just hanging there. Took about 20 minutes of standing on my head, contorting my body to reach it and get my head in a spot where my bifocals worked, to get it reinstalled.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The problem isn't Fiat, it's the old school crooked Chrysler guys that run the Fiat shops the same way they treated Chrysler customers for decades. I'm lucky in Toronto we have many Fiat dealerships that are close by. If I had to deal with the closest dealer I would never have even bought a Fiat. They pulled so much BS with me just on a test drive. I've said great things in the past about Peel Fiat here, but I gotta repeat myself. Those guys make dealing with a dealer a pleasure. None of the typical dealership BS or upcharges. My car is now mostly off warranty and they are REALLY far away, but I still only bring my car there. Can't wait for winter to be done so I can bring out my little Fiat to play again!

·
Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
I am a huge advocate of regular maintenance. But there is something wrong with that price quote. It's four spark plugs and a couple paper filters. The adviser was trying to upsell me various items, like changing the manual transmission oil. I checked the documentation, that is not recommended at all, especially at 30k. Finally I agreed to let them change the brake fluid. It was like a bribe, I wanted there to be enough money involved so they would take the time to do a good job.

On the plus side, I have been 100% satisfied with my Fiat service. When I check the oil level after a change, it is exactly right on the mark, not above. That's all I ask.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I'm new to the forum having bought a 2013 Abarth back at the end of July. Today I called the local dealership for my 30k maintenance. I was quoted a cost of $580. This seemed odd as according to my owners manual the only things required at this check up are 1. Checking the CV joints, 2. Changing the air filter, and 3. Changing the spark plugs. I asked about this and the service rep rattled off an extended list of things they had to do stated that these were all things that Fiat specified were supposed to be done and that superceded what was listed in my owners book for scheduled maintenance. I asked what they would charge for just doing the things in listed in my book and was told it would be $200 to change the sparkplugs. That was about the time I told them that I'd be taking my service elsewhere.

Now, I've always been a do my mechanicing myself kind of a gal and so maybe it just rubs me the wrong way but that was the point that I decided to take over my own work on my car. (I've rebuilt vw engines and done motorcycle restorations so I'm pretty mechanically adept)

Is service on these cars always so jacked up?

Thanks for letting me rant.

Puffin.
I'm thinking to get 2014~15 Abarth on 2019...but i have no any mechanical background...dn't even change oil, any suggestion for me? Ty, and well done on ur case

1 - 18 of 18 Posts