Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sport 5-speed, 5000 km, no mods.

1) When I come to a stop, there will be a groaning/creaking sound from the front brakes. It happens only when I still have decent pressure on the pedal; normally I essentially let off the pedal as the car comes to a halt so as to smoothen the stops, and the noise does not appear then.

2) The transmission grinds when I shift into reverse almost all the time, even if the car has just started and I am completely stationary. This can't be good, or normal, can it??

Thanks, and I hope y'all can keep my forum record: I have never reported a problem that someone, somewhere, hasn't also experienced with their car! :D

·
Registered
182 Posts
I agree with JAFA500, take the car in. No reason to not take advantage of the warranty or risk any potential further damage. I do notice with our 500c 5 spd that the car is sensitive to having the clutch pressed all the way to the floor for reverse. I don't usually get the grinding, but my wife does. I do drive the car much more than she. As soon as she starts fully pressing in the clutch again she does not get the grinding. Curious how many miles are on your car Boff?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Reverse has no syncronizer. If you select a forward gear then reverse it wont grind. I nutreal the input shaft is spinning with the clutch out. When you press the pedal the gears inside the trans will continue to spin awhile. selecting any forward gear will stop the input from spinning and allow you to select reverse with out the grind. This is somthng I experience with almost all manuals so I wouldn't be to concerned. I make it a habit to nudge 3rd before going for reverse.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
2) The transmission grinds when I shift into reverse almost all the time, even if the car has just started and I am completely stationary. This can't be good, or normal, can it??
I too experience the same occasional grinding when selecting reverse. I've made it a habit to quickly put the car into third, then reverse each time. Oddly enough, doing so always keeps the reverse gear from grinding.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I too experience the same occasional grinding when selecting reverse. I've made it a habit to quickly put the car into third, then reverse each time. Oddly enough, doing so always keeps the reverse gear from grinding.
Yes yes. By selecting third (or any forward gear ) you are using that gears syncro to stop the input shaft from spinning allowing reverse to apply with out a grind.:)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies! I've never had a car that grinded into reverse when the car was stationary (and had not moved). Made me think maybe my clutch was out of adjustment or something. I'll try the 3rd gear thing.

The car has about 3000 miles on it. I bought it having heard that a local studio opening was just around the corner...3 months later still nothing so I have a 110 mile drive (within Canada) to get service...the more I can do to avoid that the better.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Sport 5-speed, 5000 km, no mods.

1) When I come to a stop, there will be a groaning/creaking sound from the front brakes. It happens only when I still have decent pressure on the pedal; normally I essentially let off the pedal as the car comes to a halt so as to smoothen the stops, and the noise does not appear then.

Thanks, and I hope y'all can keep my forum record: I have never reported a problem that someone, somewhere, hasn't also experienced with their car! :D

Boff:

I apologize that you are experiencing issues with your vehicle, but im leaning toward MVander on the reverse shifting issue, but better to be safe than sorry. Like they all suggested, I would bring it into the nearest studio if these issues concern you. In most cases, with my experiences, if I client is familiar with their vehicle, and thinks there is something wrong, there usually is. Keep me posted.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I've driven sticks my whole life, I'm so used to that reverse gear grinding that I rarely even notice it any more.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I've driven sticks my whole life, I'm so used to that reverse gear grinding that I rarely even notice it any more.
Maybe it's the fact that my car is usually in 1st gear and I just depress the clutch, start it, then shift over to reverse, but if I get a grunch at all going into reverse, it is less than 1 in 10 times.

If the car is in neutral, I always slip it into a forward gear before engaging reverse. I've done this since I was a young man (and that was a LONG time ago).

Either that, or I'm just so slow the gears stop turning on their own!

·
Registered
582 Posts
I don't recall ever grinding gears going into reverse, maybe it's the same reason as SeaDawg as I always leave my car in first gear when stationary. The only grinding I do recall is in a situation like a parking lot where I'm in motion and pass a parking spot and want to quickly reverse, then I'll get a grind if I don't give the gears time to stop.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I paid attention to how my wife goes into reverse compared to myself. Subconsciously I always shift into first, and then reverse. No grinding. My wife goes straight to reverse, always, and tends to get a bit of gear noise. Not much, but definitely some.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I paid attention to how my wife goes into reverse compared to myself. Subconsciously I always shift into first, and then reverse. No grinding. My wife goes straight to reverse, always, and tends to get a bit of gear noise. Not much, but definitely some.

WLDTOPO:

I would concur; going from first gear into reverse would not cause grinding. Having said that, going straight into reverse doesn't cause damage, if done smoothly, it just may sound worse, and make the driver think he/she is not engaging the gear.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts