Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was my commuter car and COVID-19 caused my job to send everyone home to work. The 500e has been parked in the driveway for over 2 months and when I attempted to move it this weekend, it was dead. I did not expect to leave it parked for such a long time without charging it but that's what happened. I removed the 12V battery, tested it and it wouldn't hold a charge so I replaced it.

Now, with a new fresh battery, I pop the key in the ignition and discovered that the propulsion battery is also dead. I plug in the 120V wall charger and get the error "Service Charging System" on the dash display and the "goalposts" orange lights flashing. I have tried resetting to factory defaults on the display. Not sure if that does anything but tried it with no effect. I tried using a different 120V charger that came with the Nissan Leaf and same thing.

I've read the forums here and it looks like others have had the same error but I don't see a resolution that has worked other than "I took it to the dealer and now it works".

Does anyone know what may have happened to it? I don't live close to a dealer and I'm not sure where to take it (or to have it towed) to get it fixed.
Ideally, there is a secret button under the armpit or something that resets it to perfect.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,863 Posts
I thought there was a tip or two on this forum for getting it going after the 12V dies, but I haven't found it yet.

It's not here:

·
Registered
167 Posts
I highly doubt your HV battery is dead unless you had it at empty to begin with 2 months ago. The dead 12v battery might have caused an error code that needs to be cleared before you can charge again. Trying that 5 key cycles might also do the trick.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
This was my commuter car and COVID-19 caused my job to send everyone home to work. The 500e has been parked in the driveway for over 2 months and when I attempted to move it this weekend, it was dead. I did not expect to leave it parked for such a long time without charging it but that's what happened. I removed the 12V battery, tested it and it wouldn't hold a charge so I replaced it.

Now, with a new fresh battery, I pop the key in the ignition and discovered that the propulsion battery is also dead. I plug in the 120V wall charger and get the error "Service Charging System" on the dash display and the "goalposts" orange lights flashing. I have tried resetting to factory defaults on the display. Not sure if that does anything but tried it with no effect. I tried using a different 120V charger that came with the Nissan Leaf and same thing.

I've read the forums here and it looks like others have had the same error but I don't see a resolution that has worked other than "I took it to the dealer and now it works".

Does anyone know what may have happened to it? I don't live close to a dealer and I'm not sure where to take it (or to have it towed) to get it fixed.
Ideally, there is a secret button under the armpit or something that resets it to perfect.
We recommend having your dealer look into this for you. If you would like any additional assistance, please feel free to send us a private message and we'll be happy to help!

Alison
FiatCares

·
Registered
168 Posts
Does the propulsion battery show any charge, or is it at 0%? If you did not have the U69 firmware update performed AND your 12V battery went bad, the propulsion battery could have discharged over that period of non use trying to keep your bad 12V battery charged.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a similar issue. I managed to find a dealer that was only an hour away. The battery is supposed to be covered under warranty but good luck getting Fiat to replace your battery at $29,000 cost plus labor to replace.

·
Registered
2014fiat500e
2 Posts

·
Registered
2014fiat500e
2 Posts
COVID 19 make my car broke I just got this problem too first my key got stuck I took the key out and jump start the turtle show up on the screen I drove and turtle still one and another day I try to drive the turtle is got but the light electric service on I drive again and I turn off my car the light is gone but I cannot charge battery so my house is far from the dealer 😞😞

·
Registered
74 Posts
Educated guess here, but I know there was a recall for the 500e that addressed problems with customer's main HV battery discharging to the point of no-recovery if their 12V battery went dead. I'm wondering if the driver ever had that recall done?

·
Registered
196 Posts
COVID 19 make my car broke I just got this problem too first my key got stuck I took the key out and jump start the turtle show up on the screen I drove and turtle still one and another day I try to drive the turtle is got but the light electric service on I drive again and I turn off my car the light is gone but I cannot charge battery so my house is far from the dealer 😞😞
All of these are symptoms of a dead 12V battery. I would suggest testing by jumping the 12V battery with another vehicle and see if the symptoms disappear. If they do, then replace the 12V battery.

In the OP's case, the 12V battery failed and the high voltage battery drained trying to charge the dead 12V battery. If your 500e is going to sit for a significant amount of time, it's safer to pull the 12V battery to protect the HV battery.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,863 Posts
Right: For long-term storage of ANY car, it's best to pull the 12V battery's negative terminal, unless you have a trickle-charger.

Recall # U69 is supposed to correct the issue, as abenusa noted above, however for long-term storage it may still allow partial draining of the HV batt.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts