Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have had my car for 3 days now and this morning on the way to worl i was hit by a small rock at about 60 mph. on my way home I noticed that I have a crack that goes half way across the bottom of the windshield. These glass is pretty weak I guess, it really didn't sound bad at all when it hit.

Anyway I doubt any glass company will have a windshield for one of these yet, could the dealer get one?

·
Registered
40 Posts
^^ That sucks.
I highly doubt anyone could get the glass yet, as I can't even find custom floor mats. I bet the dealer will have to order it, and they might not even have someone with the knowledge of installing windshields.

·
Registered
249 Posts
These glass is pretty weak I guess, it really didn't sound bad at all when it hit.
My take:

The stone chipped the windshield, not cracked it. You then went over a bump, pothole, crack, curb, etc. that caused one of the chip lines to extend across the windshield glass, turning into your now present crack. It is very common and is the reason that if you get a stone chip it is best to either repair it or get it repaired as soon as possible.

Good luck with the replacement. Hopefully it won't be too long of a wait and too much of a hassle to find and replace.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Well - I'm a new member of the "cracked windshield club" :mad:

Was hit by a pebble, right in between the 2 wipers (wish it was right ON one of the wipers though...) at about 40 mph only.
I must agree that the glass is pretty weak!!

Takes 3 days to order in the glass - so, on Friday my FIAT goes to hospital for his first major surgery - hopefully he comes home without any scars

Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Bumper Vehicle door

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Windshield glass is not as tough as it used to be by law. They are trying to protect the pedestrians when they get hit by a car and roll up the hood and impact the windshield.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Windshield glass is not as tough as it used to be by law. They are trying to protect the pedestrians when they get hit by a car and roll up the hood and impact the windshield.
Yeah ... soon they'll replace the windshields with a curtain LOL

·
Registered
567 Posts
Takes 3 days to order in the glass - so, on Friday my FIAT goes to hospital for his first major surgery - hopefully he comes home without any scars
Surgery for my FIAT is postponed to next Wednesday due to later arrival of new windshield - thing must be shipped from Michigan (to B.C. Canada) ...
Makes me wonder about FIAT's supply chain :confused:

·
Registered
567 Posts
Well - I'm a new member of the "cracked windshield club" :mad:

Was hit by a pebble, right in between the 2 wipers (wish it was right ON one of the wipers though...) at about 40 mph only.
I must agree that the glass is pretty weak!!

View attachment 5288
Windshield is replaced - lucky me that due to my comprehensive, I only have to pay $100.00 ...
Repair all-in = Can. $2022.56!!! :confused: Whooptidooo

Text Font Line Document Paper

·
Registered
4,580 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have gone through two windshields in the last two weeks with cracks in the very same spot. Down along the bottem by the windshield wipers. They run up from the bottom, turn 90 degrees then run along the length of the windshield. The first one was covered under warranty, and no sooner had I taken the tape off the new windshield it happened again within hours. They're claiming it was a chip or something this time. Really? The windshield was barely 24 hours old! Its getting frustrating!!

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I have gone through two windshields in the last two weeks with cracks in the very same spot. Down along the bottem by the windshield wipers. They run up from the bottom, turn 90 degrees then run along the length of the windshield. The first one was covered under warranty, and no sooner had I taken the tape off the new windshield it happened again within hours. They're claiming it was a chip or something this time. Really? The windshield was barely 24 hours old! Its getting frustrating!!

Sorry to hear of your problems, welcome to the forum though. Sounds more like your are having a problem with tension, hope they figure this out and get it properly resolved.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
my first on did that after A small chip by the wiper at 60mph, and a few weeks later I got another crack about halfway up after a rock at 75mph going to LA. second one was not genuine fiat glass and was under a lot of tension in the top corners an had a bunch of distortion when looking out there. It cracked with after a small rock chip at 40mph in the middle again, ant the third one was fiat glass again and had much less distortion but I traded the car in the next day. Safelite loves me, insurance not so much

The windshield is super fragile and i have not had a rock chip that didn't result in a 3ft crack yet. Unlike my Sti which has taken hits that sounded like a brick hit it on the interstate with no cracks, just big chips with cones in the first layer of glass.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Im assuming since the replacement was done under warranty, the studio was involved, but did they install it or sublet it out? If its only been 24 hours since the replacement and based on the location, I would guess that is a stress crack as well... if it was done by a studio, send me a PM with your VIN and the studio name and Ill see what I can do.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts