Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2017 500e, Azzurro Celeste, sunroof, 16” Abarth wheels, humidity sensor nixed, motor cover nixed
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed these two small cracks in this hose next to the battery on my 2017. They look superficial when I use the flash, but a bit more serious without. I’m not sure how much pressure this hose holds or if it has much inner reinforcement. Anyone else deal with this yet? Not sure if I should look into replacing or just keep an eye on it. It seems early for rubber to be degrading, but perhaps it speaks to the heat being trapped by the stupid cover that now occupies its rightful place in a dusty corner of my garage.

Bicycle Bicycle handlebar Automotive tire Bicycle frame Bicycle saddle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Automotive design Bicycle handlebar

·
Registered
2017 500e, Azzurro Celeste, sunroof, 16” Abarth wheels, humidity sensor nixed, motor cover nixed
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to know. Do you think it warrants replacement, or can I just keep an eye on it? I understand the AC plays a role in cooling the battery, so not sure how concerned I should be about the possibility of the hose rupturing.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,045 Posts
The rear end of that very hose goes to the battery chiller heat-exchange unit. You can see the water-based coolant hoses also going in & out of that small black block.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Electrical wiring Hood

At least one forum member reported A/C self-activating to cool the HV battery, although I've been watching mine closely & it has never done that, even driving/charging in 113F.

Another reported the car failing to function when a sensor detected something not quite right with the water-cooling system, but I don't know if there's anything similar for the A/C. In other words, if that hose fails it MIGHT be undrivable. Someone who has had their A/C fail might be able to clarify that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info! I’ll have to figure out if I want to take it to OC Fiat or an independent shop to see about replacement. I certainly don’t want to put it off until it bursts and leaves me with damage that could have been avoided.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Found a thread on this same problem with Chevy Bolt and Opel Ampera. Several people there with worse cracking on cars newer than mine. Some dealers are telling people the cracks are superficial and they shouldn’t worry about it. Some posters hesitant to fix it even under warranty for fear the dealers will screw up their AC. I can relate to that concern, especially since I’ll be paying the bill. It’s quite a pickle.

Cracking AC low pressure hose

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Hood Automotive design
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,045 Posts
Apparently ozone damages some rubber-like materials, & electrical items often create ozone. If that's what's doing it, it's too bad they didn't add cheap, thin ozone-proof covers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’m sure the heat being trapped by the silly cover isn’t helping matters either.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,045 Posts
Ya, heat, & maybe ozone, both partially trapped by the useless plastic cover until we deleted ours.

It's another good reason to open the hood while charging, when practical, to ventilate heat AND ozone. I've done that ever since I bought my 2013 in 2015 with 10k miles, & my 12V was still going strong after over 5 years, & my AC hose looks fine.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I started opening the hood too. The charger gets hot! I don’t know what they were thinking with that cover. Overall I love the car, but I’m baffled by the sabotage they built in with the cover and the humidity sensor. Post-sale R&D it seems. 🤨

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
-

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for posting this, my 2017/22K mi is showing some barely seeable cracks here....I'll be keeping the exposed portion of this hose dressed with a liberal coating of
Meguire's #40 from now on!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Good idea. That may help keep the cracks from growing. I’m also considering wrapping the cracks tightly with self-fusing silicone tape for additional protection.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's a barrier hose, the outer layer is only for physical protection. There are 2-3 more layers underneath that. As ETS stated, ozone damage is the likely cause, but not indicative of an imminent failure.

Wrapping would be a good idea if the cracks were at a point where the hose is rubbing (or close to rubbing) something else.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts