Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Fiat 500 Pop. My Fiat simply will not start, I have already changed the starter motor and it does the same thing. I put key in the ignition and turn to start, I can hear the fuel pump and for a very split 1/2 second it sounds like it may turn over, but then goes into a whining no compression/no spark sound. It sounds like it is looking for spark or fuel. Its in my driveway and trying just to get it started to get it to dealership. Looks as if there maybe a TSB on the re flashing of the PCM. Any help is greatly appreciated as I have all the interior panels off the car inside.

·
Registered
667 Posts
OK, you turn the key and it continues to crank. I'd start with the basics. Perform a compression test and, if good, check if the plugs are sparking.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have also removed the battery and battery box and checked the grounds. The oil level is spot on. All fuses have been checked. Other forums are pointing to oil pressure because it has been sitting for about 30 days. There is 3/4 fuel in the tank. Fuel pump comes on when key is in ignition. I do hear a strange buzzing sound in the engine somewhere when the key is in the on position, it’s bit near the fuse box or ECM. I am also going to check for a seized alternator that I was reading somewhere in this forum. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just need to get it started so I can drive it to Fiat dealer to get the flash for the PCM,

·
Registered
66 Posts
how old is your battery my 13 sport did same would crank but not start I replaced battery with new one and she fired right up good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did it have a sound of no compression? A split second it sounds like it’s going to catch and then it just whines like free spinning

·
Registered
613 Posts
Has the car been sitting perhaps a few weeks? It can take several tries before the oil pressure builds up in the cylinder head to actuate the valves.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have cranked it over about 100 times and just free spinning. I am now charging my battery because I have tried for the past 3 days.

·
Registered
66 Posts
and forgot to mention my car had been sitting for over a month without starting it up ,also all the warning lights were flashing like crazy. I put in a new battery and it fired right up ,I also think our cars a very sensitive to voltage from battery again let us know how u make out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
New battery installed, still sounds like it wants to start for a split second then free spinning. I can smell fuel after a while, So i am now thinking this is a no spark related issue.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Soo... instead of cranking forever try cranking for 10-20 seconds, wait 30-60 seconds, repeat. You don't want to keep cranking as the starter can overheat/burn up. You want to do it in intervals. A battery charger or one of those jump start battery boxes could be helpful too.

You're trying to build up oil pressure to the cylinder head. The intake valves are actuated by oil pressure in the multi-actuator in that head.. Also make sure you check the oil level with the dipstick.
It's probably not a spark problem but oil that drained from the cylinder head over the past month.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts