Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone installed this kit from 500 Madness Looks to be the best built but what I like most is it eliminates the PLASTIC reverse pull!!!!

I'm looking for impressions from someone that's installed it. Also how hard was it for us simpletons!

Thanks! I think this will be my first Mod.

http://500madness.com/500madness/shop/index.php?route=product/product&manufacturer_id=55&product_id=792

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
123 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Same here.... They must be flying off the shelves at 3 bills. (Short Shift Kits) Seems to me everyone is pretty happy to give their opinion on what mods they have added however, the shift kit conversation is just not happening....

·
Vendor
730 Posts
We installed one this afternoon at our shop in a customers car that we were modifying with a number of other items.

The install was relative simple, just follow the directions we posted in the product description and you will do fine with basic tools.

The feel of the shifter is soooo much better. Tight, precise and I personally loved the improved feel.

It's not cheap, but it is a very nicely made piece with great attention to detail.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Same here.... They must be flying off the shelves at 3 bills. (Short Shift Kits) Seems to me everyone is pretty happy to give their opinion on what mods they have added however, the shift kit conversation is just not happening....
I suspect that's because it doesn't make the boy racer go faster or look 'kool' like wheels or lowering springs. It's lower on the totem pole of 'gotta have's'. Plus some people are waiting for TWM to finally get its Fiat 'short shifter' out the door. I suspect TWM's is gonna take our breath away with price, based on what I see some of their shifters for other small vehicles sell for.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I personally think this is the best mod because you feel it every day. I have done a SS kit on past cars and loved it.

I like the Craven so far due to the metal reverse pull. I hate the feel of the plastic.

I wish they would redesign the pull to be lower on the shaft. I don't wanna touch the ring at all. I only want to use the shift knob. Poor design by Fiat IMO. Craven please make an alternate design reverse pull!!!!!!!!

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Vendor
730 Posts
Do you stock this item?

Cheers,

C.K.
Yes, we stock about 99.5% of what we offer.

To the moderators on the forum... I am trying to walk a fine line between answering questions and not selling product per your request. Hopefully this type of a post is OK. Don't want to upset any of the moderators or owners of this forum.

·
Vendor
730 Posts
any chance of a reverse pull being designed in general. I think would be a good seller if
it was reasonable.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Good idea! Would anyone else be interested in this option if we can convince the manufacturer to make it as a stand alone item?

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have an idea for it in my head. The "ring" could be completely removed and the cylinder could have just a finger pull in the front that can't be
felt for conventional shifting. It could be lower on the shaft as to
not feel with your knuckles.

I can't draw well or I would put up a pic.

I of course Get to be the beta tester for this RIGHT! :)

Sent from my Argento 500

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I actually ran the shifter without the reverse pull for a bit. The only reason I put it back on is because this shifter knob I put on ( a carbon knob from a brand called "personale") was way too light so the throws felt weird. I ordered a knob from 500 madness that felt WAYYY better, but it looked strange with no reverse pull. You don't really need the reverse pull in my opinion since its in a position that no other gear is in. Its pretty dummy proof. Here is how it looked without the reverse pull, i also removed that cheap chrome plastic rim around the shifter boot.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I actually ran the shifter without the reverse pull for a bit. The only reason I put it back on is because this shifter knob I put on ( a carbon knob from a brand called "personale") was way too light so the throws felt weird. I ordered a knob from 500 madness that felt WAYYY better, but it looked strange with no reverse pull. You don't really need the reverse pull in my opinion since its in a position that no other gear is in. Its pretty dummy proof. Here is how it looked without the reverse pull, i also removed that cheap chrome plastic rim around the shifter boot.

Love the shift knob. how much? link? Is yours for sale? I also like the Black brand carbon fiber round knob.

Sent from my Argento 500

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Thanks, I got it in a shop called Clementes 4 autoplay in Vancouver, BC. He only deals with Italian cars and companies, very cool shop and great guy. His name is Gio. I paid $95 I think. It needed some slight modification to fit on our 500 but it looks very high end, finish is top notch. Like I said its very light compared to the knobs offered by BLACK through 500 madness. I personally like the heavier feeling shift knobs. Id sell the carbon one for like $60 shipped.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I said "F" it and and purchased one.... Is it nice, I could say it's an improvement. Can I say it's worth 300 dollars? Nope.

One thing well thought out? It needs a zip-tye, does it come with one? No. Does it come with instructions? No. (You have to download them off the internet and print them yourself.) Does it come with something to stick the top of the shift knob back on after the install? No.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I said "F" it and and purchased one.... Is it nice, I could say it's an improvement. Can I say it's worth 300 dollars? Nope.

One thing well thought out? It needs a zip-tye, does it come with one? No. Does it come with instructions? No. (You have to download them off the internet and print them yourself.) Does it come with something to stick the top of the shift knob back on after the install? No.
Sounds like the install was annoying, but what is the improvement? A shorter lever? Is the angular deflection less or just the travel of the knob less, because indeed it is a shorter lever? Thanks.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I installed it 20 minutes. No issue there....

It's shifts more precise quite noticeably however, the distance is not that pronounced. The actual lever is quite a bit shorter them stock which makes the boot look a bit ridiculous as well.

Nice product worth half the cost as far as I am concerned.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I installed it 20 minutes. No issue there....

It's shifts more precise quite noticeably however, the distance is not that pronounced. The actual lever is quite a bit shorter them stock which makes the boot look a bit ridiculous as well.

Nice product worth half the cost as far as I am concerned.
it would be interesting to see a direct comnparison with this one:

http://roadracemotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=76_77&products_id=1107

same car/owner/day, back to back impressions

1 - 20 of 57 Posts