Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone crossed shopped the Mini with the 500 and if so why they chose the Fiat. I what checking out the Mini web site and they are offering $500.00 off for manual transmissions and special financing.

I priced a Mini hard top with a few options and it priced out at $20,400.

:eek:

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hi

Unfortunately for me, the Pop 500 was at the very upper end of what I was hoping to spend, so the Mini kind of overall looked to be out of my range. For the most part I cross-shopped against cars like the Hyundai Accent, Chevy Aveo5, and Toyota Yaris instead.

Additionally though, in looking at the 500 in comparison to the Mini, although I kind of like the looks of the Mini it somehow just didn't seem to be a good fit for me.

Maybe its because I've read that the 500 has its roots in being based originally on the Fiat Panda, but somehow the 500 Pop comes across to me as kind of a nicely appointed people's car. However, maybe because of the BMW connection with the new Mini, somehow the new Mini gives me the feel of a small trendy upscale car, like a BMW in new clothing.

Regards

Pat

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the Post Pat

I've only sat in a Mini coupe. It's a cool little car but NO Back SEAT to speak of. Also, I've heard that the ride is far more harsh.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I looked at the Mini -- had been for a few years. For a number of reasons I need an automatic transmission. When I priced out the Mini with the same options as the 500 Sport there was a nearly $5,000 price difference.

·
Registered
453 Posts
heh, new minis were out of the question for me. Even so, I couldn't easily find a used, but recent one for the same or less than the 500. Plus, I was tired of the look of the Mini. Talk about a car you see everywhere. :p

I did test drive one, and it was a good car, I guess. Small and fun and such. There were back seats and I fit in them ok, but I wasn't so keen on the "molded" nature of them. I can fit in the back of my 500 as well, but the seats are more "bench" like, so it doesn't feel as limiting.

I guess in the end, I just liked the 500 better. It was nice that it was so much cheaper than the mini. :)

Reactions: phattbam

·
Registered
707 Posts
I was looking at the first new gen Mini Cooper S. didn't want a Mini out of warranty which kind of feared me but then comparing it with the new 500 I test drove it once came back the next day with my options list ready and made my order deposit. Test drive the two cars.. I personally got the 500 because there are simply too many Mini's around and I like to be the first kid on the block with that latest toys.

·
Registered
475 Posts
We were driving our 3rd MINI S to the MINI dealership, about to trade for our 4th, when we saw a 500 on the interstate.
We went on, drove a handfull of cars, got our best-deal offer, and hit the FIAT studio the next day.
Drove home in the little red JellyBean that afternoon, happier for the experience, and a good $8K wealthier.

FIAT; it's what you buy when you're sick of the BMW Koolaid.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Bill has hit the nail on the head. Price out the Mini with your trade and then go do the same thing with the Fiat and the cost difference is significant.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I looked at the Mini, but the price difference was insane. That combined with the much more pleasant ease of geting in and out of the Fiat, it was a no brainer. One long test drive an I was sold.

·
Registered
614 Posts
In addition to the price difference, the Mini has huge issues with their tranny's and flywheels melting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Traded a 2003 MINI for my 500

I did enjoy my MINI, until the dealer raped my wallet. Anything that goes wrong seemed to start at $1,000 to repair. The 500 feels and sounds much more solid and is currently getting 13 mpg more than the MINI.

One day I'll have to tell you all about a $5,300 head job :eek: on the MINI where the plugs were $31.50 each. :mad:

Haz Neuman
Fiat-Lancia Unlimited

Mid-Atlantic Contact
2012 Fiat 500 Sport, 1986 Bertone X1/9, 1970 Lombardi Grand Prix

1 - 14 of 14 Posts