Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a look underneath at our exhausts and it looks fairly big already, possibly 2.25". Seeing is how the only real power gain achieved from exhaust work
Is having the cat removed ( Which I won't due until my warranty is up)I'm thinking of doing having the middle muffler replaced with a straight pipe and the stock rear muffler with something a little bit more aggressive looking. I know will has an exhaust coming soon and it sounds great but I was told it would be around $1500 which is too rich for my blood to spend on a mod that gives only a few hp max. Has anyone Here done custom work to their exhaust yet?

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Yeah $1500 is a joke. A good exhaust shop should be able to build one for a few hundred bucks.

I'm still on the fence about getting an exhaust. I like the idea of power gains, but I've never been a fan of after market exhausts on 4 cylinder cars. I'd have to hear how the multiair engine with an exhaust sounds in person before I can make a decision.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can check out will from euro tunings, it actually sounds amazing. I'm not 100% sure it's going to be 1500 bucks but that's the ballpark he told me. It's a full exhaust from the header back

I was quoted around 500 from the exhaust shop here but all they will be doing
Doing is replacing the middle muffler with a straight pipe and welding in a nicer looking rear muffler. I had a look under the car and the stock exhaust looks to be 2.25" so I know from experience when i owned my svt ford focus that switching to 2.5" piping on a 4 cylinder NA engine won't yield much for power. Getting a nice louder tone is basically my goal

·
Registered
258 Posts
good luck with Mopar parts!
i've seen the Mopar prototype exhaust on Fiat 500 its only a rear muffler and looks very cheap!. weld are mig not tig.
Competizione are true 304 stainless steel with all tig weld.

If anyone looking to buy some cheap stuff for FIAT 500 may be they should sell the 500 and buy a Kia is better IMO.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Reviving this thread. I'm going in for a custom job next weekend. Anyone else running custom lately? What parts did you swap out? I'm probably doing an axle back.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Reviving this thread. I'm going in for a custom job next weekend. Anyone else running custom lately? What parts did you swap out? I'm probably doing an axle back.
Did an axle back at the local muffler shop. They added straight pipe with a dual chrome tip. Total cost: $50

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Isn't it loud without the muffler?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Anyone try deleting the mid muffler and seeing what that sounds like? I'm thinking of doing this and it should cost very little.

·
Super Moderator
22,119 Posts
I did the rear muffler delete and added pipe and tip, cost $70 and it is noticeably louder at idle but not overly annoying, up to fifth it is certainly something you'll notice but once it gets to about sixth (62MPH) it gets quiet again, the harder you hammer the throttle obviously the more you'll hear, not something that makes it difficult to speak on the phone or with a passenger though. I chose to go with a tip larger than stock but shaped the same, it fills the cut out of the bumper much better now.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I'm probably going to cut the muffler off, add a free flowing muffler and try to retain the stock look of the tip. I was quoted 300 for a full stainless axle back but he said that we can retain the stock bend and just add the muffler and tip for about 150.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm probably going to cut the muffler off, add a free flowing muffler and try to retain the stock look of the tip. I was quoted 300 for a full stainless axle back but he said that we can retain the stock bend and just add the muffler and tip for about 150.
It will be quieter without a doubt but you wont have the weight savings. That is very important for me as I cart 4 people around.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Anyone have pictures of the idea? im trying to visualize it. So we are talking about just removing one of the mufflers (mid or rear "main") and putting a straight pipe? Does this effect emissions at all? i guess as long as you don't mess with the cat, the muffler is just for sound suppression.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I don't care for weight reduction. I just want a free flowing exhaust with a bit of a rumble to it without my wife complaining since she drives it more than I do.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Anyone have pictures of the idea? im trying to visualize it. So we are talking about just removing one of the mufflers (mid or rear "main") and putting a straight pipe? Does this effect emissions at all? i guess as long as you don't mess with the cat, the muffler is just for sound suppression.
In Cali its illegal to delete the rear muffler and/or Mid resonator. Idk about Tx though. Though deleting rear muffler wont do anything w/ emission outcome, unless its part of the visual inspection.

1 - 20 of 150 Posts