Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All, there is finally a custom made diffuser that fits the 500e. In a continuous effort to make the world a better place, I am glad to be supporting people getting the most they can with their EV cars. We need more EV cars for a better environment. I have designed a diffuser to get more miles with the Fiat 500e. The more miles EV cars will do, the less ICE (internal combustion engine) cars will do, the better the world will be. This picture is from my 500e. I've put more than 8000 miles on this prototype and counting, really robust design, maintenance free.

Let me know what you think!

Thanks for sharing!

https://ev-upgrades.myshopify.com

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi rkw, that is a very good question.

5.1% increase at 65mph with the diffuser.
6.4% increase at 70mph with the diffuser.

I have been recording the performance of my Fiat with and without the diffuser installed for the last 6 months. I constantly repeat the same 15 miles commute day after day, which includes about 2/3 of freeway, or 10 miles. When leaving in the morning, the battery is always at 100%. I have also adjusted the tire pressure to be at the same level day after day. I always put the cruise control at 65mph or 70mph on the freeway, so that all measurements can be compared together. However, there are external factors that I cannot control, such as external temperature, rain, humidity, etc., which can significantly influence the energy usage of the car. I have discarded the data collected on rainy days when the road is wet as the effect of water on the road can't be reliably assessed, and for the other days when it's dry, which we get a lot here in Socal, I have plotted the data as a function of external temperature.

After collecting the data over a period of 6 months, I have noticed an upward trend of 0.223 mile per kwh at 65mph freeway speed with the diffuser installed, or just about a 5.1% increase, and 6.4% increase at 70mph.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Approximately how much efficiency or range can you get back with this defuser? I recently installed 17" abarth rims on mine 500e and consumption went up by about 12-15%. Around town I drive at about 40-42mph.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Approximately how much efficiency or range can you get back with this defuser? I recently installed 17" abarth rims on mine 500e and consumption went up by about 12-15%. Around town I drive at about 40-42mph.
Abarth wheels must be looking nice but it comes with a huge impact on energy consumption, that's quite a lot. I've measured the diffuser efficiency improvement at about 5% at 65mph and at about 6.5% at 70mph. It difficult to say how the diffuser would perform with your abarth rims, but it seems fair to say that you could see an improvement of about the same (5-6.5%)... which would help but still not bring you back to the range you had with the stock wheels.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Do you know if this fits with a Tow Hitch mounted? I'm certain I can MAKE it fit, But I don't particularly want to hack up a new piece, nor have to redesign mounts due to hitch being in the way.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you know if this fits with a Tow Hitch mounted? I'm certain I can MAKE it fit, But I don't particularly want to hack up a new piece, nor have to redesign mounts due to hitch being in the way.
Send me a picture of the area showing how it attaches to the car at "evupgrades at gmail.com", I'll check it out. I'm pretty sure that the cover would have to be cut out as a minimum depending where the tow hitch comes out from under, your call to fit it and install or not on this one, but I need to check it the structural parts located behind the cover would be in the way, in which case it is a no no for sure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
There seemed to be a small gap between the diffuser and the bumper in the middle. Is there anyway you can make it slightly longer so it will fit under that lip?

Are the vortex generator for looks or do they actually make a difference?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm curious about actual effect of the vortex generators too, but for $10 more and a little bit of science behind it, I figured I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There seemed to be a small gap between the diffuser and the bumper in the middle. Is there anyway you can make it slightly longer so it will fit under that lip?

Are the vortex generator for looks or do they actually make a difference?
Hi SlowDt-
The minor gap that you see was corrected with the new production template we're now using to built the diffuser panels, so the last few batches of diffuser panels that were built are now flush all the way with the bumper. I need to update the pictures, and will post some here too at the same time sometime this weekend.

For the vortex generators, the difference they may be making is insignificant (+/-) in comparison to the improvement made by the diffuser, so it's not really quantifiable. Most of our customers however order their diffuser panels with the vortex generators. The diffusers can be built with or without that option.

Martin

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks. Have you done any testing on front pan?
I had the OEM belly pan installed for a while before the EV Upgrades belly pan. I added the OEM belly pan after the installation of the diffuser and didn't notice any significant difference before and after the belly pan was installed. However, the OEM belly pan is not so smooth, as it includes some air vent inlets which I think must be there to cool off the tranny and/or the oil on the regular Fiat models. I still kept it because of the feeling of security it gave me protecting the electrical motor components and accessories.

The new EV Upgrades belly pan is installed using the same holes as the OEM belly pan, but is smooth from front to back, and is made slightly wider all the way, so it does provide better protection. I need to put more miles with it to be able to assess how much improvement, if noticeable, it provides over the improvement provided by the diffuser. Mileage should be going up, and not down, that I'm quite positive about it. I've also noticed that it's a bit more quiet in the car since I've installed it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I got the kit installed today, but haven't compared my mileage yet.

Some feedback from installing it: I'd have preferred if the nut and washers were spot welded together or the like because it's already hard to get them into place when you're in a tight space. Ideally, this would use all plastic fasteners (and a flexible plastic bar instead of aluminum) and be possible to tighten from the bottom instead. Most of the fasteners on the 500 are 10mm, so it would have been nice if that was the same. I'm a bit concerned about how difficult it will be to remove and remount it if I need to get under that part of the vehicle.

Packaging-wise, I'd suggest laser printing the serial numbers on a label and putting that on each part number instead of sharpie. I'd also look into getting a U-Line box for shipping it vs the home depot boxes. Instead of taping things together with masking tape, I'd probably have just zip tied them. U-line also sells small bags for the mounting hardware. I'd also do a usability test on the instructions and see how someone who hasn't installed it before does. I found it a little bit difficult to read, and it took me more than an hour to get it installed.

signal-2019-06-22-162310.jpeg

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've been posting some clarification about the install on different FB forum. I'll be sharing them here too.

Clarification on EV Upgrades Diffuser Installation (https://ev-upgrades.com)
I now feel that it is okay to show details of the design online as the diffuser patent pending status has now been confirmed.
In order to ensure that everyone can enjoy an easy install when installing the diffuser for the 500e, I though it would be helpful to provide some detail instructions with pictures of all the steps involved. It is important to follow these steps, otherwise the installation will be difficult, if not impossible to complete. The design is made with lots of inherent tolerance in the hole positioning to make the installation easy for everyone, and all the tolerances are eliminated only at the last step of the installation. If one is not following the steps properly, it may be impossible to fit a bolt in the holes and it may feel like the hole(s) are misaligned when in fact they are not, per design.
Picture 1: Install the aluminum bracket #1 and only hand tight the nuts to the fasteners. The bracket needs to be "floating on the panel". Repeat the same for bracket #2.
Picture #2 and #3: Demonstration of how the bracket is loose and moving left and right. This is normal. If you tighened the nuts at this point, the holes may not align properly and installation will not be possible.
Picture #4: Hand tight the aluminum bracket #1 to the structural bar holding the battery pack. Leave it loose, again. Note that this steel bar is structurally grounded to the car chassis and will NOT move during the last step of the installation.
Picture #5: Fit the long fastener in hole #4. It will align easily as everything is loose and moving.
Picture #6: Push the fastener in the bumper air dam hole/bracket. It will align easily again, as everything is loose to move in any direction.
Picture #7: Hand tigh the nut on the screw fitted in picture #6. Access is still very easy at that point as the diffuser is hanging.
Picture #8: Hand tight the aluminum bracket #2 to the structural battery protection bar. Leave it loose.
Picture #9: Push the last fastener into the bumper air dam hole and hand tight it in place. It will again fit easily as everything is free to move in any direction.
Picture #10: Only now you need to start using tools.
Picture #11, #12, #13, #14: Insert you left arm over (behind) the panel by the side, and put the wrench on the nylon lock nuts from the inside, and fully tighten up all bolts using the ratchet, from the outside of the panel. No need to remove the wheel, access is fairly easy if you lay on your back.
Picture #15: Using the vice grip, maintain the head of the fastener from the inside of the structural bar. Tighten up the nut until you get a tight fit. Note that the aluminum bar will adjust itself to fit to the structural bar. There is no concern about damaging the structural bar, as the steel is few magnitude stronger than the aluminum and therefore only the aluminum will comply.
Picture #16: Repeat step described in picture #15, but for the other side.
Picture #17: This show the aluminum bracket after it has been adjusted to the structural bar. You can see the difference between its position... it's normal, all the tolerances are now taken away and the diffuser is tightly fitted to the car structure.
Picture #18: Installation is complete.
IMG_0088.jpg IMG_0182.jpg IMG_0183.jpg IMG_0184.jpg IMG_0187.jpg IMG_0188.jpg IMG_0189.jpg IMG_0190.jpg IMG_0191.jpg IMG_0192.jpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got the kit installed today, but haven't compared my mileage yet.

Some feedback from installing it:
Hello billatq -
Thanks for sharing. Did you tighten the 2 aluminum bars on the panel with nuts #2, 3, 5, 6 before attempting mounting it to the car or did you leave them loose as shown on picture #1? By installing all bolts and nuts loose first, the kit self-positions itself onto the car and all the kit built-in tolerances are eliminated when tightening the kit at the complete end. I'd recommend that you release the tension in nuts #1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and then retighten them in place to let panel self align and set itself in place. There shouldn't be any bend in the middle between #1 and #4, the panel will set itself flat when the tension is removed in those nuts.

If you need to remove the kit, you will only have to uninstall the 2 nuts on the battery protection bar and the 2 attached to the bumper brackets. It takes me 2-3 minutes to pull a panel down.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I left them loose, as indicated in the directions. I think that the instructions that I have indicate that you do the two bars in the back prior to moving onto the right side, so I could take it down and do it in the order indicated above where you do the left side first and then the right side. It's still going to be difficult to get the bumper brackets tight either way.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
You don't have to take it down at this point, you should just remove some tension in #1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 (leave the nuts on) and retighten them. When you tight them up, follow the sequence #1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. This will take care of the bend I can see on the picture you posted.

Picture #11, #12, #13, #14: Insert you left arm over (behind) the panel by the side, and put the wrench on the nylon lock nuts from the inside, and fully tighten up all bolts using the ratchet, from the outside of the panel. No need to remove the wheel, access is fairly easy if you lay on your back. (right arms goes behind for the right bracket)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I left them loose, as indicated in the directions. I think that the instructions that I have indicate that you do the two bars in the back prior to moving onto the right side, so I could take it down and do it in the order indicated above where you do the left side first and then the right side. It's still going to be difficult to get the bumper brackets tight either way.
Please post what kind of efficiency improvement did you notice? I only drive on city roads at low to mid 40s mph, curious how much improvement I would get.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Please post what kind of efficiency improvement did you notice? I only drive on city roads at low to mid 40s mph, curious how much improvement I would get.
Ayasink, multiple users have posted their results already on the facebook Fiat 500e main groups:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/fiat500e/?ref=share
https://www.facebook.com/groups/267552813413562/?ref=share

those who reported noticed range increase anywhere between 5.5 to 10%. Most aero improvements starts when going above 30-40mph. Aero will be improved at 45mph, but difference will not be as noticeable than if going above 60mph.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts