1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Custom short ram intake for $100.00

View attachment 2113

2.25 to 2.5 adapter (this adapts the OEM intake elbow to fit the intake) $4.93
the label on this part says 2"-1.5" but the inside diameters are 2.75-2.25 and the OD were 3"-2.5" It is just a little snug, but can be fit without any pinching of the part. This is the hardest part to find, and you may need to buy a few "options" to get one that works for you. The other option I bought was a 2" DWV cleanout adapter (pvc part). It was just a hair too big OD but I could have ground the outside off to make it work.

Intake tube kit 8711 $7.99
This is a small collection of plastic adapters and couplings to let you connect the vent tube

Small hose clamps $4.99
to secure the vent tube connections

Spectre 8219 chrome intake kit $39.00
I cut about 7.5" off the end to get it the correct length

Spectre 60º elbow 8668 $10.99

Spectre short air filter 8168 $21.99

Hex nuts and bolts for bracket to hold everything in place $4.99

TOTAL COST WITH TAX $101.52

Quiet and subdued when cruising, but sounds like a banshee when you jump on the throttle. Sound clips to follow!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Sounds pretty mean mike! i think ima be going this way :]

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Enjoyed the video! :)

Sorry if I missed it, but what are the estimates on the performance gains for such a mod?

Most estimates/dyno runs show about 3-5 hp and lb/ft of torque from 2700 Rpm and up. Since mine was never put on a dyno I can only say it feels a lot peppier. The real fun for me is I get more zip, and when I want it I can make a lot of noise, but for 99% of my daily drive its nice and quiet with just a nice burble form the muffler and a just a little intake noise. This includes cruising on the highway.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can you take pictures of how you mounted it?
Get a few pics when I get a change, but the mounting is held in place by a bracket at the air filter end. Drilled a small hole in the plastic thingy right above and used a small nut/bolt/washer to hold everything in place.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Clever bit of engineering there Mike. Where do you order those parts from? Nice pics by the way. Any chance you have any pictures of the individual components , kind of like an exploded view ?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Clever bit of engineering there Mike. Where do you order those parts from? Nice pics by the way. Any chance you have any pictures of the individual components , kind of like an exploded view ?
I got most of it at autozone :)

The only other parts were for the coupling the factory elbow (that connects to the throttle body) to the rest. I initially used a thick rubber step down hose, but eventually fitted a misc hard plastic piece just give the hose clamps something hard to connect to...and no I'm not taking it apart for pics LOL...but I did list all my parts in the initial post for you

·
Registered
468 Posts
Hey All,

I read this post yesterday and felt a little adventurous. I went to Auto Zone picked up most of the stuff and installed this last night. Its not completely finished yet but so far its pretty sweet. I will try to post pics soon, and thanks to MikeThinks for doing all of the leg work...

·
Registered
1 Posts
As a follow up to this thread, not that anyone needed any, I too have installed the same short ram intake as originally listed by MikeThinks. I waited until my car had a thousand miles on the odometer and then removed the stock box and replaced with the intake. FYI, I did NOT unplug the battery for the install and the car had TONS of pep in the midrange but was a little rough in the lower RPM. The engine seemed to be laboring and the vibration through the pedal and wheel felt wrong. I then disconnected the battery for 15 minutes (negative side only) and then reconnected. Reset the clock and date and VOILA, she runs beautiful. My total cost for parts was about 110 bucks. Installation took longer, perhaps 2 hours. But it was worth it!

I also thought I would share my mounting solution. Rather than drill through the plastic insert/drain catch at the windshield base, I reused the top center mounting screw from the original air box to support an "L" shaped bracket with predrilled holes (from a local hardware store). I then installed a hose clamp around the Spectre intake tube and installed a smaller L shaped bracket with predrilled holes between the clamp and intake tube. (I actually formed a "J" with a bend and the bend in the "J" sits around the clamp between the tube and clamp to make a better seating). I installed a small hex bolt with hex nut through the L shaped bracked mounted on the engine and the "J" shaped bracket on the tube. The beautiful part about this arrangement is that it is adjustable enough to accommodate tube length variations and angle! It worked out great and I am so far, pleased with the results.

Finally, for the transition from the Spectre to the stock intake elbow, I used the Spectre reduction tube and then a standard reducer pipe for an exhaust from Advanced Auto parts. It was a tight but perfect fit. It fit snug inside the stock tube and snug inside the small end of the Spectre transition piece.

Everything is tight. The growl is addicting. Better pull in 5th gear. Great throttle and pep in 2nd/3rd/4th from 3000-5500 rpm.

Just thought I would pass this along. I will try to post pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
NICE!

Yes the growl is something else. Its interesting how the sound changes once the engine warms up. Be sure to get a longer vent hose when you get a chance, Ive got mine running next to the battery and it look much cleaner than that "just long enough" one the kit comes with.

I tried a few goes at a bracket, and was just never happy with it, glad you got it to work. Have you put on a new exhaust? A Magnaflow can be done for under $200 at a local muffler shop :)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts