Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Sport in January and the only way I'll get an Abarth any time soon is if I win one :)

But here's my question: since at this point any purchaser is placing a factory order anyway, does Fiat / Chrysler allow for custom non-spec changes? For instance, could I order one painted Azzurro with the Sport wheels and without all the decals and stripes? Many car companies allow for deviant colors, wheels, badge deletes, etc. from the same lineup for a small fee if it's already a factory order anyway.

Personally, if I were to order one I'd want it to look mostly like a regular 500 because 160 hp out of something that looks ordinary catches people off guard and in my opinion sends a higher-class image than one with go-fast stripes, big letters on the side, big wheels and "hot car" colors. I liked the SVT Contour back in the late 90s because it was a sleeper, and I think the Abarth has the same potential minus the "look at me" bits.

If I'm ever rich and can order a new Boxster, I'll order the "badge delete" because when your car is awesome you don't have to advertise it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm also interested to hear whether this can be done. I love the Azzurro so much I would have a really hard time settling for one of the Abarth colors if I really did want the extra hp.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree that it would be nice to have more options - especially since they already have lots of colors. The SRT division of Chrysler usually even has a few colors just for those vehicles, such as plum crazy or green with envy. I do understand, however, that they probably want to release a solid car at the intro and hopefully offer more options as time goes on. I was thinking if I do get the Abarth that I would order it without the stripes and mirror covers and no sunroof to keep it more low key as well.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I was at my dealer's yesterday getting my dash put in and one of the salespeople mentioned the Abarth being a collector's item and that they won't release but 500 or them (?? really ??) or so? Anyway, when Fiat releases the new Turbo model, the Turbo will have the 160 hp and (presumably) all the color picks the current 'regular' 500's have. Maybe that's why the Abarths come in such a limited range of colors?

I don't even know if what the salesperson was saying is true. Just reporting what I heard....

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Doubt the Abarth will be available in a rainbow of colors. It's what makes it exclusive in looks. There might be special additions like these, but not anytime soon. I would so rock that Abu Dabi Blue!

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I'm also interested to hear whether this can be done. I love the Azzurro so much I would have a really hard time settling for one of the Abarth colors if I really did want the extra hp.

All:

I believe the new vehicle orders can only be submitted as the brochure indicates. Although this vehicle allows a tons of customizing, not much is from the factory.. a handful of colors and packages and appliques.. anything else is up to the buyer after taking ownership.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was at my dealer's yesterday getting my dash put in and one of the salespeople mentioned the Abarth being a collector's item and that they won't release but 500 or them (?? really ??) or so? Anyway, when Fiat releases the new Turbo model, the Turbo will have the 160 hp and (presumably) all the color picks the current 'regular' 500's have. Maybe that's why the Abarths come in such a limited range of colors?

I don't even know if what the salesperson was saying is true. Just reporting what I heard....
I am not sure how many studios there are, but it does appear that all of them will be getting an initial Abarth model, and from what I heard, they might be able to order about 3-4 per dealer per month once they get going. I never heard of a limited release of only 500 of them, but you never know.

I also have heard that the turbo sport will have ~130 hp rather than 160. That would be plenty for me, so that plus more color choices inside and out and less in your face styling might be the ticket. I will have to see the Abarth in person I guess.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts

Better rumors than the ones your salesperson has been hearing are that there will be 2,000 Abarths for U.S. and 300 for Canada. Also the 500T or turbo model which is rumored to replace the Sport will have 135, not 160 HP, as the Abarth has 160 HP. If the T indeed replaces the Sport, I would assume it would be available in all 14 colors. I would be sorely tempted by the T!

I'm sure someone else has some juicy rumors too.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Man, my exact car (a 500 sport M/T in azzurro) with a 135 hp turbo under the hood would be my absolute first choice: a surprisingly powerful little car that's not saying "Look at me! Look at me!" Not that there's anything wrong with wanting attention, it's just not my style.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Drove an Abarth yesterday. WHOO BOY!

I want one. With the glass roof, electrochromic mirror and back up sensors from the Lounge.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Just today, I was toying in my head with the concept of eventually doing a two-tone on my grigio Abarth. Since I deleted the side stripes, and the sunroof is already essentially black, I was thinking of doing it in black (wrap or paint?) above the beltline, which is only available on Abarth Cs in Europe. Maybe a thin red pinstripe separating the colors? I think it would look good on a white one, too, but to each his/her own...

I don't so much mind the limited color choice for Abarths, but I do wish they'd at least been exclusive. The color I really wanted was the non-metallic grey, the "tone" of primer. Available in Europe, of course. :mad: That color would look great, and even better with black on top! Oh well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts