Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I'm a newby. Got a 2013 Abarth and the other day driving steady at 70mph after about 2 hours, some loud popping and banging started. Plug_in diagnostic says cylinder 1 misfire. Have switched plugs and coils around between cylinders and still shows up as nr. 1 cylinder misfire. Seem to have a good spark when tested outside cyl with a good ground. Have ordered new plugs and coils. Anyone got a clue as to problem?
65000m, in central OH.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok. There's zero compression on nr.1 cyl. How difficult is it to remove the cylinder head, or does anyone have any other ideas of finding out what is wrong?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sound like the multi air unit has failed. it is very common on these cars if the multi air screen is not changed regularly. May have bent a valve in the process but it is possible that no damage was caused. And to change or remove the head means removing the engine from the car which means removing the entire front end. It's a tedious process but not very difficult. If you are mechanically inclined. Further diagnosis of a bent valve would be to spin the motor with a wrench/socket wrench to see if there is an unusual amount of resistance when rotating it. Or hearing funny noises as its rotating. unfortunately early engine failure is common with these cars I just had to swap my engine because a turbo failed and a piece of shrapnel from it bent a valve.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DuValMatt, thanks for your reply. That sounds like bad news! When you say "spin the motor with a wrench, do you mean once its out of the car, or is there a way to do this somehow with it still in?
Can you not remove the head in the car?
Do you know of any sort of instructions besides buying a repair manual that detail the sequence of what needs done, any special tools, etc? I've no problem doing this kinda work but wouldn't want to do something out of order that might screw things up! And it's always good to follow instructions.
I've rebuilt 3 other engines (MGB, XJ6, Zephyr,) but they didn't look anything like this one!
Thanks again
Yorkie

·
Registered
76 Posts
These motors are what they call disposable if it goes bad most people buy a salvaged low mileage engine and swap it in and honestly it is not very difficult. The turning of the engine can be done by removing the passenger side wheel and then the cover behind that reveals the harmonic balancer I believe the bolt is a 15mm in the center of the balancer, spin the motor clockwise, That's option one, option 2 is removing the air intake and the top timing cover which I feel is more difficult without accidentally braking things but doesn't require a jack. If you do it that way the cam bolt is 18mm I believe, it should have resistance but should be smooth all the way through. If you remove the spark plugs it will be much easier to spin threw. And if it is smooth then most likely there is no damage to the valves. Which would lead me to believe multi air failure which is not terribly hard to change even in the car but can be expensive. And there are videos on youtube of how to do it properly. Watch a video on how the multi air works so you will have a better understanding of whats going on. And as far as I know you can not remove the head from the engine in the car. There is no room to remove the exhaust or intake manifolds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts