Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently bought a 2013 500c Abarth with 75k miles (My "fun car" to mess with and tune on the side). I guess I pushed it a bit too hard. Went with the the EC intake, EC intercooler, replaced the boost solenoid, wastegate actuator, diverter valve, new plugs and coils, and flashed it to "Phase 2" pretty much the standard fare of bolt-ons.

Last weekend I was pushing it hard, into about 24PSI of boost, outside temp around 80F, and while stepping on it cylinder 1 started misfiring, CEL flashed, pulled over and had the car towed home. My first thought was the coils, so I swapped them around and the misfire was still present. I then pulled the plug out of Cyl. 1 and found this: Oops

Light Blue Automotive tire Tire Hood

A few days later I was able to get a Borescope down there, you can clearly see pitting from where the plug tip bounced around and what looks to be a deformed piston.
Liquid Fluid Automotive lighting Tableware Serveware

So, at this point I guess it is a new engine, or a new Abarth, since these cars are pretty fun and I'd like to get one tuned reliably. I'm mechanically inclined (Have done a clutch, head gasket, and other things on newer VWs). I don't know what caused the plug to break apart or the root cause but it might be interesting to the folks here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Recently bought a 2013 500c Abarth with 75k miles (My "fun car" to mess with and tune on the side). I guess I pushed it a bit too hard. Went with the the EC intake, EC intercooler, replaced the boost solenoid, wastegate actuator, diverter valve, new plugs and coils, and flashed it to "Phase 2" pretty much the standard fare of bolt-ons.

Last weekend I was pushing it hard, into about 24PSI of boost, outside temp around 80F, and while stepping on it cylinder 1 started misfiring, CEL flashed, pulled over and had the car towed home. My first thought was the coils, so I swapped them around and the misfire was still present. I then pulled the plug out of Cyl. 1 and found this: Oops

View attachment 110880

A few days later I was able to get a Borescope down there, you can clearly see pitting from where the plug tip bounced around and what looks to be a deformed piston.
View attachment 110881

So, at this point I guess it is a new engine, or a new Abarth, since these cars are pretty fun and I'd like to get one tuned reliably. I'm mechanically inclined (Have done a clutch, head gasket, and other things on newer VWs). I don't know what caused the plug to break apart or the root cause but it might be interesting to the folks here.
The exact same thing happened to my 2014 Abarth GQ edition, with only 36,000 miles. I am in the process of looking for a new engine and a mechanic to do the work. Fiat quoted me a price of about $10,000.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From what I can tell there are lots of used engines out there for $1-2k. I think you can swap in a Dart 1.4 Multiair.

At least for me I think the challenge is that there isn't a lot of space to work with. If you're going through the trouble you'd probably want to put a new or rebuilt head on it and avoid the same fate, meaning you have to mess with the multiair and time it . I doubt many shops have the experience or necessary tools to do the work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts