Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I have been looking at used electric cars to buy. The 500e caught my eye.

I found one with an anomaly in the dashboard charging light display.
The right light (closest to the passenger side) stays on all the time. Solid red not blinking. The car was not at full charge, it was about 60%. Dealer said it was for charging. He didn’t seem to know much about it. He did not know how to turn it off. Has anyone ever seen this problem?

Is there a way to turn off this display all together? I’m not sure I want to advertise what the state of charge is for my (maybe future) car.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,960 Posts
FYI, nearly 4 years after buying my used 2013 500e, today I realized that the 500e is still* my #1 car choice. If I won the lottery, I'd buy one. I might also buy a Tesla X or something, but definitely not until after I got a 500e.

Most electronic glitches in a phone, DVR, computer, or 500e are fixed by disconnecting the power. 500e 30-second 12V disconnect usually does the trick.

*I though of this a while ago, & posted it here with a title something like "still the best".

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,960 Posts
There's no way to turn that display off (unless you can unplug it from under the dash, BUT it's only supposed to light up while charging, & it's pretty easy to cover with something like a piece of junkmail. If it DOES light up when not charging, my first try would be the 30-second 12V disconnect. If that didn't work, I'd try 30-HOUR 12V disconnect. Actually "36 hours" from one other forum user, & "48" from another, but for all we know, 1 hour will do it if 30 seconds won't. To optimize the chances of 30 seconds working, turn on the key, headlights, & pump the brakes, to discharge any capacitors keeping stuff powered.

If you really want to hide it, the easiest way is probably with a piece of wide vinyl tape, but bear in mind that while charging, the speedo activates every 5 minutes or so, indicating state of charge. It doesn't really help anybody to know your SOC. If I pull up to a set of fully occupied public chargers where there's a 500e with 1 or 4 solid lights, it doesn't mean it will be a long or short time before they return to let me in, so when I leave my car at one, I leave a note with my return time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update on the charging lights. I bought the car and right after buying I took it to the dealer. They kept it overnite and replaced the dashboard charging lite unit. Dealer said it would have been $600 but it was under warranty. Car has been great so far. It is really fun to drive!

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Update on the charging lights. I bought the car and right after buying I took it to the dealer. They kept it overnite and replaced the dashboard charging lite unit. Dealer said it would have been $600 but it was under warranty. Car has been great so far. It is really fun to drive!
Hello EVolved,
We are very happy to hear that your dealer was able to assist you with your concern. Please know if you have any questions or concerns in the future, our team is available.
Laura
FiatCares

1 - 5 of 5 Posts