Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I've got a Fiat 500e Passion and I'm having trouble keeping my dashcam (Nextbase 522G with rear cam) switched on.
It powers up with the car and will stay on for around 10 minutes but will then just randomly switch off.
It doesn't loose power as I can still see the blue standby/charging light on the cam.
If I unplug it and plug it in again, it powers back up but then powers off again after 5 - 10 minutes.
I thought the issue might be the cable so I swapped it out but the same behaviour occurs.
I also have repositioned it away from the speed sign detector, in case it was causing interference, but still no luck.

I happen to have a spare dashcam, same make and model with the powered mount, and the same thing occurs with this as well.
I've also powered the cam directly without the powered mount and the same behaviour happens.

I've also tried an alternative mirror dashcam with a rear camera module and this will power up but switch off before displaying an image.
If I unplug the rear camera module, the mirror cam stays on so I wonder if using a rear camera module is drawing too much power?

I've tried using the USB port and the 12v socket, with an adapter I know works fine, and the behaviour is the same on both.

The only next possible solutions I can think of is to have a separate dashcam plugged into the 12v adaptor in the boot or to wire the dashcam using a hardwire kit but I just wanted to ask if anyone else has seen this problem as well?

I am literally tearing my hair out and it is pretty useless if it powers off at random.

·
Registered
13,985 Posts
Welcome to the forum here. I’d contact the company, that makes the dash camera’s. Is
you car, a new 500e. Take it in for warranty. Check your owners manual. Maybe that’s a safeguard. Fiat here, does an import to 500e .here.

Tire Vehicle registration plate Wheel Bus Vehicle

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.
It is a new Fiat 500e (2022 model)
I've checked the manual and it mentions nothing about dashcams and just contains the usual information about devices on the 12v socket.
As I was also unable to use a mirror dashcam with a reversing module, I suspect that the issue is not related specifically to the Nextbase dashcam.

Any further troubleshooting steps would be appreciated.

Karl

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,
Does anyone have any further suggestions?
I have disconnected the rear camera module which seems to have fixed the issue on the front dashcam but running a separate rear dashcam from the 12v adapter in the boot, the rear dashcam will turn itself off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi.
Just a thought, is the output from your 12v adapter high enough to run your dash cam?
The output will be measured in amps. Electrical devices require a correct rating of volts and amps to operate correctly.
I have previously had 12v adapters which did not put out enough amps to power/charge ipads.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi,
Does anyone have any further suggestions?
I have disconnected the rear camera module which seems to have fixed the issue on the front dashcam but running a separate rear dashcam from the 12v adapter in the boot, the rear dashcam will turn itself off.
I think the 12v rear socket times out after 5mins...like my disco. You need a 12v feed that is steady...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts