·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I hope stuff like this takes off. My only real complaint about my 500e is the range. Its totally enough range for 90% of my driving but it'd sure be nice to be able to do 150-200 miles on a charge. Aftermarket battery upgrades would be awesome.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Fantastic news, this is the main mod i was hoping for and i consider it game charger for this car, particularly in Texas. i was slightly wishing it would be a modified CCS and fit under the fuel filler door. But Chademo under the hood is better than nothing.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Aftermarket battery upgrades would be awesome.
To clarify:

- Rapid DC charge will be an aftermarket kit for all years of 500e, from QuickChargePower in California (but likely shippable worldwide)

- Aftermarket battery upgrades are currently offered by Scuderia in Europe only....

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting. I wonder how they're doing the battery packaging... -J
...Our stock 63 amp-hour BEV2-format Samsung SDI battery cells are now available in 120 Ah capacity, so just swapping out the cells in the existing battery pack would give 190% of the current range.

·
Registered
163 Posts
They talked about this on the FB group (or Google+) and while I like it, I can't decide if it makes ENOUGH sense without a larger battery

·
Registered
174 Posts
is there any chance to upgrade fiat 2015 or 2014 !
Each model year from 2013 to 2018 are functionally the same. There should be no reason why a 2014 or 2015 cannot have the unit installed.

Such a project could be DIY with only a few pieces of information. Primarily being able to read the relevant information from the battery control module via the CanBus on the 500e. It's possible to do because the My500e project: http://my500e.com for example has a Canbus plugin that can give the battery status is coming soon.

ChaDeMo is a fairly simple and well documented charging protocol. To quote Jack Rickard of EVTV:

With a JLD505, the Yazaki inlet, two Gigavac contactors, and a bit of software, you can basically roll up to a CHAdeMO station and water your horse like a Rock star. And I have both the spec, and the Leaf capture data in hand for this one. The outcome is pretty much a done deal. For probably less than $1400 in kit you can drive cross country to the next EVCCON.
That $1400 quote was using a $900 inlet. Ebay currently has some on sale brand new for $500. It would be a lot less to pick up a used one off a Nissan Leaf in the scrapyard. BTW the JLD505 is pretty much an Arduino with a CanBus shield with some software that's posted on GitHub.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They talked about this on the FB group (or Google+) and while I like it, I can't decide if it makes ENOUGH sense without a larger battery
Please explain. To me it seems to make MORE sense with a smaller battery.

However, you saw the range-doubling battery swap idea above, right? I wonder what that would cost, but I imagine it would still be less for a used 500e + new battery cells + DC charge kit, than for a used eGolf (with the same final range & charge speed)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Fast charge is the best way to shorten the battery life. 110 is better than 220 and just how bad will a DC fast charge be for the battery?

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Our batteries are liquid-cooled like a Tesla, & they report very minimal range loss, even with Supercharger use. Even air-cooled eGolfs are reporting insignificant range loss even with DC (charging at 44kW, I think). I'm pretty sure I also read there's no significant difference in Leaf range loss with DC: Unlike the 500e, they lose lots even on L2!

If the upcoming Quick Charge Power unit is 44kW like their most recent kit (for Mercedes), it's not all that fast, by battery industry standards where their base-level "1C*" is 24kW for 500e, & "2C**" is 48kW. What WE call "Level 2" is only 6.6kW (0.28C!), & 44kW isn't even 2C.

We also can't drive fast enough to discharge our batteries at 2C, & we almost never go to 0%, helping them last longer than implied by this chart.

*Blue line on chart
**Green line on chart

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Fast charge is the best way to shorten the battery life.
Probably more accurate to say ONE of the best, since from all I've read, fast DISCHARGE is just as bad, but other huge factors are temperature, charging to 100% (especially if stored there), & deep discharge.

Regarless of what charge speed we force on a 500e, they automatically control temperature, we mostly avoid going to really low state of charge, & discharge rate is essentially self limited by motor power, although we mostly probably avoid 88mph anyway, due to low range at that speed!

In other words, by going to a moderately fast charge rate of 44kW, we would only be increasing one of several major factors, others are inherently low, & we can control the rest by avoiding 0%, & only taking it to 80% on DC*, or at least driving it soon after topping off.

*above that, DC generally slows down anyway, & therefore costs even more per kWh when you're paying per minute.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There's no update yet at https://shop.quickchargepower.com/DC-Fast-Charging_c10.htm

"Cost effective" is of course relative, & depends on your needs. Personally from a wall outlet at home I can recharge my 500e 40 miles (the U.S. daily average) free while I sleep, a long range trip means only driving to the airport, & I rarely take mid-range trips, so just renting for those makes more sense for ME ($3k would cover LOTS of rentals!). Obviously others' use can be much different though.

On a $30k+ Bolt the DCFC option only costs $750 extra(!!), but for under $11k you could get a used 500e complete WITH DCFC: $3k DC installed on one of the 12 used under-$8k 500e's currently listed near LA.

By comparison, my neighbor just shopped pretty hard for the best deal on a used white eGolf, & paid about $11k WITHOUT DCFC. Of course it has 1 extra rear seat & 2 extra doors, if you need that, but its battery is only air-cooled, & to get one with DCFC is also about 3k more.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've been using DCFC quite a lot lately in my i3 and I gotta say the network is going to be quite useful by 2020. Meaning the 500e could make road trips in a few states outside california with DCFC. I could potentially drive from Dallas to Austin shortly.

But I think Chademo is losing the battle. Most of the stations I've found are down to 1 Chademo charger. Now anearly all the Harley dealers in my state(which is a lot) have installed free and open to the public DCFC stations. All being 24kw CCS units.

If this was CCS or a CCS to chademo adapter was available I'd be all in. I'm just not sure how much longer we'll be seeing new chademo infrastructure, unless nissan and mitsubishi add some more vehicles or invest in charging networks.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thats cool about Harley!

Hopefully Nissan, Mitsu, (etc?) will realize it's in their best interests (sell more cars) if they make them easier to plug in!

·
Registered
117 Posts
A current Fiat with a kit to upgrade to the new standard 350kW DC would charge from zero-to-100 in about 4 minites!
Hah, tbh I've found 50kw quite acceptable. Its only a 15-20min charge on a smaller battery EV. Usually I'm only using DCFC on road trips and by the time in need to charge a 20 min break isn't a bad thing.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts