Fiat 500 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Sure, but next year, when EVs cost less to buy than gas cars, & you have to wait in line while a dead Tesla, Bolt, Kona, eTron, iPace, etc charges, the 350kW Fiat kit (ok, by that time it will be 800kW to feed the Porsches) will be nice.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Sure, but next year, when EVs cost less to buy than gas cars, & you have to wait in line while a dead Tesla, Bolt, Kona, eTron, iPace, etc charges, the 350kW Fiat kit (ok, by that time it will be 800kW to feed the Porsches) will be nice.
Luckily Electrify America planned for this. Nearly every location is 8 chargers deep.

I think the way its been going:
2- 50kw max units- CCS and Chademo
4- 150kw max units CCS
2 - 350kw max units CCS

The funny enough is I've probably used EA chargers about 30 or 40 times this year and I have never seen another EV at them. I think its because they are typically in very rural areas. Where an EV charging, is the equivalent of a Model T in a town full of horse drawn carriages.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks for the info.

Like I said though, wait a year til it costs less to buy a Model T than a horse, & see if there isn't a line at the relatively rare "gas station" (compared to the ubiquitous horse stable).

Then the 800kW Fiat/i3 kit will be welcome (for those with no home/work outlet to recharge the average daily drive while they sleep/work)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thanks for the info.

Like I said though, wait a year til it costs less to buy a Model T than a horse, & see if there isn't a line at the relatively rare "gas station" (compared to the ubiquitous horse stable).

Then the 800kW Fiat/i3 kit will be welcome (for those with no home/work outlet to recharge the average daily drive while they sleep/work)

I'm waiting for the depreciation to set in on the big toys, like the etron, ipace and EQC. So probably 3 year out until I possibly upgrade.

If EVs catch on soon outside the ZEV states I don't know how the people without home/work chargers are going to deal with it. As the chargers within the major cities down here are still rare and always less than 2 stations. I've seen no plans from any of the companies to improve upon this. They all seem to be more interested making sure highways connecting major cities are covered first. I'm really hoping the 24kw dcfc stations catch on, as they are relatively cheap($8k vs $50K for 50kw+), don't require significant amperage, and some can be installed on single phase.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Wow! 24kW charger gives you 48% of the speed, for only 16% of the price!

It would take about 24 minutes to fully recharge the average daily drive though, so I wonder about piggybacking them so you can charge at 48kW if you're the only car at a 2-unit station.

Here in L.A. they're starting to put chargers at gas stations (Chevron & Shell, so far) & streetlight poles (cuz the LEDs now leave so much power to spare).

·
Registered
487 Posts
& streetlight poles (cuz the LEDs now leave so much power to spare).
That isn't the main reason. A typical high-pressure sodium streetlight is only 250 watts. An LED streetlight uses 75% less power and the savings isn't enough for an EV charger. The biggest reason to use streetlight poles is ease and cost of installation (compare to digging up the sidewalk to install and wire a standalone charger).

·
Registered
109 Posts
Wow! 24kW charger gives you 48% of the speed, for only 16% of the price!

It would take about 24 minutes to fully recharge the average daily drive though, so I wonder about piggybacking them so you can charge at 48kW if you're the only car at a 2-unit station.

Here in L.A. they're starting to put chargers at gas stations (Chevron & Shell, so far) & streetlight poles (cuz the LEDs now leave so much power to spare).

I haven't seen any of the 24 kw stations in pairs yet, so I don't know if its possible.

I think we've got one shell( maybe 2) with an EVgo charger, But its in a suburb about 15 miles outside Dallas, that I very much doubt gets more than a couple charges a week. Looking at Plugshare, no one have checked in at that location in 3 months.

I didn't know LA got the streetlight chargers, those are a great idea. I saw a few of those in London not that long ago.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
I don't get around much, I haven't been looking for them, & they're not really easy to spot, but I happened to notice 2 within a few miles of home.

That isn't the main reason. A typical high-pressure sodium streetlight is only 250 watts. An LED streetlight uses 75% less power and the savings isn't enough for an EV charger.
I didn't mean a charger on every pole, although that would be great. I meant the underground wires now have enough extra capacity to power at least 1 charger for every 20 poles or so.

·
Registered
1 Posts
as a complete outsider to this discussion, i wish it was a CCS kit since chademo is slowly phasing out, but CCS has a ton of computer controller systems involve that makes it very difficult to DIY

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
CCS always seemed simpler to me, at least physically, with no 2nd plug needed, which also sometimes allows it to fit in the same filler cap as a gas version of the car (like eGolf does). I saw an insider-seeming report that the 500e was originally designed for CCS, but they eliminated it, probably to save cost but maybe also since at the time there were very few stations in it's original California-only market. Anyway, it makes me wonder if they retained anything that might make it less difficult to DIY.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My first guess is that it's ChaDeMo because at the time the first conversion kit was made, that was the most popular standard. Parts of Washington state that were ahead of the time are still ChaDeMo only.

My second guess is that it's reusing source code from the other conversion kits and a CCS rewrite is a large undertaking. It would be nice if it was supported though, since I'm sure there's plenty of folks from Europe that would prefer CCS Type 2.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Slightly on and slightly off topic....Electrify America just installed a pack at my local mall. All CCS (7) and one Chademo/CCS. EA says on the website that J1772 plugs work? I drove over and tried to fit a CCS plug into my 500e and it didn't mate. Is there a way to make the 500e work with a CCS plug?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Slightly on and slightly off topic....Electrify America just installed a pack at my local mall. All CCS (7) and one Chademo/CCS. EA says on the website that J1772 plugs work? I drove over and tried to fit a CCS plug into my 500e and it didn't mate. Is there a way to make the 500e work with a CCS plug?
EA usually will toss in a single J1772 plug in there somewhere. The CCS plugs do not fit though. It's sometimes entertaining watching Tesla owners try to make it work with the J1772 L2 adapter though.

·
Registered
109 Posts
EA usually will toss in a single J1772 plug in there somewhere. The CCS plugs do not fit though. It's sometimes entertaining watching Tesla owners try to make it work with the J1772 L2 adapter though.
2nd this, if its listed as a J1172 being there, on EA's website, its probably there. They can been sneaky with the placements, sometimes its this skinny post you have to open up. And a j1772 is inside.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks, there is no J1772 plug in this EA location. I sent EA an email asking for a J1772 plug to be installed. Our mall has a Tesla supercharger and another Chargepoint location. I suppose this rounds out the offering. Is CCS to J1772 adapter possible?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Thanks, there is no J1772 plug in this EA location. I sent EA an email asking for a J1772 plug to be installed. Our mall has a Tesla supercharger and another Chargepoint location. I suppose this rounds out the offering. Is CCS to J1772 adapter possible?
It's not. The former is DC, the later is AC.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
...J1172 ...can been sneaky with the placements, sometimes its this skinny post you have to open up. And a j1772 is inside.
That's VERY sneaky! I once barely found one because it was about 4 parking spaces away from the charger. They ran the wire underground, & the waist-high post with the plug & cable-holder was hidden by parked cars.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I saw something about DC conversion it in a comments section of some EV journal. Comment supposedly by company owner/operator. But that was months ago and considering Fiat discontinuing 500e in NA they’re probably pulling back plans for DC charge.

240VAC/12A is plenty for such a small battery pack, IMO.

Talk about weird Chargepoint placement. I found one in LaJolla mall which also served some Handicap parking spots. No EV’s using the stalls only wet fuel poison sprayers. Ugh....

21 - 40 of 45 Posts