Fiat 500 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
UGH! Earlier today I was blocked out of a clearly-marked "EV Charging ONLY" spot by a fossil car. 500e is nice & small, so it fit plugged in, out of the way, in the blank spot beside it, but a security guard started getting upset, even when I pointed out I was waiting in my car for the illegally-parked fossil owner to return, which fortunately happened soon.

Discontinuation of 500e shouldn't matter much. Plans to offer a DC kit should go ahead (or not) based on demand due to the total number being driven, which will keep increasing right up until it's discontinued, & then remain fairly stable for several years.

I agree 240V/12A is usually plenty for PRIVATE charging, since even just 120V/12A will fully recharge the average US daily drive during 8 hours of sleep or work. For most people, what matters for charging speed is miles added per hour, regardless of battery pack size.

HOWEVER, for those without easy access to private charging, or wanting to go a bit further by using public DC, 40kW (like the other kits) would still be pretty gentle even on the "small"* 500e batt pack.

*On one charge I can drive mine about 250% of the national daily average.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone. I am the owner that dropped my car off at QC Charge. Tony said they have some projects to wrap up and then they will start on the 500e. Should be two weeks before they start work on the car. Tony was pretty optimistic about the install. I can't wait to hear more. I'll post updates as I have them.

82637948_761078902543_4549417805908279296_o.jpg

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hello everyone. I am the owner that dropped my car off at QC Charge. Tony said they have some projects to wrap up and then they will start on the 500e. Should be two weeks before they start work on the car. Tony was pretty optimistic about the install. I can't wait to hear more. I'll post updates as I have them.

View attachment 108214
Saw your post on reddit and came here to see if you'd posted. I wasn't disappointed. Hopefully it all works out well.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Can't wait to hear the details of this.
The theory of operation isn't too difficult. The Chademo connector will be tapped into the high voltage system using one of the HV connects in the front compartment near the onboard charger. The system will likely have to be charged with the car in the "Ready" position as the HV contactors on the battery have to be closed in order to connect the HV battery to the rest of the car. There will be a controller that taps into the CanBus in order to monitor the voltages and states of charge of the batteries. The controller will use the battery information to direct the Chademo charger to provide a given current level. It's likely out of an abundance of safety that the cutoff will be at a 80-85% SOC.

It's simple when everything works. The challenge according to the lead Bosch engineer that designed the car, is that fault conditions tend to blow things up. Specifically that slow fault control or poor sequencing would cause the PIM to malfunction.

This is why the exercise is for owners out of warranty that are willing to gamble the car in order to get the functionality. Unfortunately the system may work perfectly 199 times, then short everything out on a single bad plugin.

It's bleeding edge work. I like everyone else hopes that it works out.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
19 Posts
I emailed QC Charge and they kindly replied to report that they are actively working on it and have a car in their shop now. Great news!
great news! I was looking up the 500e on Wikipedia and it stated that the engineers did design it to have fast charging if a charger was retrofitted! Excited to see this happen cause I’ve already had a situation where fast charging would have save me time lol!

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Hopefully someone can update us, since it's been a month now.

·
Registered
2017 500e
57 Posts
I pmed them on Reddit recently and they said they still had no updates and the company said they were working on it but that it was not a priority. With everything going on in California right now I would not be surprised if it did not happen for a while.

·
Registered
1 Posts

HI SOME NEWS ABOUT THE QUICK CHARGER PLEASE ? I CANNOT WAIT !

View attachment 108214

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
428 Posts
DC charging is a nice perk in a pinch but around here where I live they aren’t anywhere easy to find DC most are just level 2 so not worth it for me. If DC was a huge factor for me I would of bought a similarly priced Spark EV that has it, and those used a more common CCS connection.

·
Registered
196 Posts
DCFC is an effective range extension mechanism especially for sub-100 mile range EVs like ours. Of course there are a ton of issues with availability, cost, and interfaces.

I'm currently fighting a battle all across the EV community space about the need for medium speed DCFC infrastructure everywhere for local recharging. Time and time again I get the pushback that "L2 is good enough for everyone." It really isn't. EV people seem to have become accepting of the limitations of L2 in the public charging space, so they keep asking for more of the same.

The SparkEV is a perfect example of how it could be so much better. Drive 80 or so miles. Plug into a 25-50 kW DCFC and 20-45 minutes later be off with nearly a full battery. Here in the Atlanta area this would be trivial to pull off as the local utility, Georgia Power, has deployed nearly 100 sets of DCFC and L2 charging stations around the state.

DCFC, when available, benefits all EV drivers. For low range EVs, you get the range extension. For higher range EVs, you get the flexibility of getting a decent charge in short timeframes.

The reason for medium speed DCFC is the balance between charging speed and charging cost. High speed travel DCFC from 150-350 kW simply cost too much to use on a regular basis. Medium speed DCFC from 25-50 kW can often be installed using the same electrical infrastructure as L2 with just about the same operational costs. Currently those Georgia Power stations are 6 cents/minute for L2 and 25 cents a minute for 50 kW DCFC. Better would be 25-30 kW DCFC at 10-12 cents a minute so filling up in 45 minutes would be just about $5.

I live with the limitations of my 500e. But there are certainly some days that I wish I didn't have to. It's the sole reason that sometimes I look at Chevy SparkEVs, Kia SoulEVs, and BMW i3 REx as alternative options. Each has the faster charging port though the range is similar to the 500e.

If Tony and his group get this done and since I'm out of warranty, I may actually consider the retrofit. I still worry a bit if something may still blow up with the PIM though.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
428 Posts
That's the thing for me aside from rare availability, the cost is a bit of a turn off I've seen the cost of using those fast chargers getting 80 miles of range for $5 is pretty much the same cost as driving my gasser at 40mpg and with $2.50 a gallon gas. To me it's not justified, I'm only in it for the savings I'm not that much of a tree hugger. Plus if I know I'm gonna drive that much more then my Fiat can go I just take my gasser no big deal. I have a long range car my Fiat is just my under 100 miles round trip runabout and commuter once I get back to a job.

41 - 60 of 87 Posts