Fiat 500 Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Okay, so that IS them, under the orange cover. Well done!
Yay! Now maybe someone in the future will repair some frozen contactors and update us on what they did. If mine ever hang up and I can't force them with hard reboots and AlphaOBD then I may feel bold enough to dig in and try to get hands on with them. It may be way easier to repair/replace them than we are led to believe.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
4,230 Posts
It may be way easier to repair/replace them than we are led to believe.
I suppose it depends on what you call "easy", since at a bare minimum you have to drop the rear axle, drain the coolant, drop the 600-pound pack, remove the lid, & try not to kill yourself with 400 volts direct current.

So I'm still going to do this, when convenient: Save Your Irreplaceable Contactors! "Clunk, clunk...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I suppose it depends on what you call "easy", since at a bare minimum you have to drop the rear axle, drain the coolant, drop the 600-pound pack, remove the lid, & try not to kill yourself with 400 volts direct current.

So I'm still going to do this, when convenient: Save Your Irreplaceable Contactors! "Clunk, clunk...
Fair enough. "easy" is a very relative word and this would require some assistance from a friend that is well versed handling high voltage. Definitely a PITA to get to them, but I guess what I meant is that after getting to them, they appear to be non-proprietary components (solenoids maybe?), that could possibly be removed and cleaned or lubricated.

I was mainly contrasting this to one of the computer/logic boards being much more when it fails it's down for the count. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but I'm hoping that I can get 200k out of this thing with a little wrenching, leaning on forums, and maybe getting advice from a friendly engineer or two. I'm fearful that new OEM parts may not keep me going that long if availability dries up, but with some luck, maybe we will be able to solve some of the less complex issues (contactors, electrical shorts, etc).

Thank you for the link btw, I am saving that. Preventative maintenance is way easier than tearing things apart to see what broke maintenance.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts