Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At least that's what they say. Nobody is surprised. If we can dig up the old old thread, I stated in 2014 that Fiat will be gone from the US within 10 years, and there you go. And I don't win anything.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Yes, they announced the 500 will be dropped from the 2020 lineup, a few months ago. The 500X has been redesigned to use the 1.3L engine and the Sport model will be sold in 2020.

With the PSA merger, no one knows the fate of FCA's current lines, even in EU where the 500 is popular. Though it's put out as a merger, it's closer to a take over. In their current lineup, Fiat would be facing about $3K per car in EU carbon taxes... thus why they bought carbon credits from Tesla. Basically, they'll need to get about 25% better fuel economy overall, to around 58 US MPG, if my calculations are correct. (That figure seems high to me... 95 grams per K is the new rate.) The tiny PSA models would help, but they are also over-budget on corporate fuel economy.

Current tax on EU car ownership is high, about 2.5 times the EU gov't budget, per auto manufacturers. This tax is an additional fee. It'll be interesting to see where the auto industry goes in the next couple decades, with the 3 conflicts... safety, what people want, and what gov't wants.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Nobody really knows what Fiat is planning for their own vehicle lineup, but I wouldn't interpret "no new Fiat's planned" as a U.S. exit yet, or declare the brand dead. Esp. if they own Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep, and Ram. Fiat may designate the more popular brands for sale in the U.S. and place their respective badges on those cars & trucks- but they are all technically Fiat owned and operated and essentially- Fiat vehicles.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Y
Nobody really knows what Fiat is planning for their own vehicle lineup, but I wouldn't interpret "no new Fiat's planned" as a U.S. exit yet, or declare the brand dead. Esp. if they own Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep, and Ram. Fiat may designate the more popular brands for sale in the U.S. and place their respective badges on those cars & trucks- but they are all technically Fiat owned and operated and essentially- Fiat vehicles.
Yeah, exactly in the same way that Bugatti Veyron is just another VW, of course.
Well, that’s a stretch, I know.
Nah, Fiat in the US is dead, man. Yeah, we’ll still have Ram 25million pick up or Jeep this and that or whatever which is technically a Fiat vehicle, but if we wanted that, we wouldn’t have bothered with 500 in the first place. Nope nope nope, it looks like we won’t see 500 replacement, or interesting things like 500e or TwinAir.
i have to say, though, it’s not a whole lot of loss, Fiat hasn’t made anything interesting since, well, since Panda/500 TwinAir.

·
Registered
972 Posts
There's always the Twinair III 500X, and the Renegade, for the next couple years. With Fiat selling out to SPA, the Fiat might soon disappear in all but the badge, everywhere.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts