Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you guys give me sound advice because i am lingering between fixing my fiat or tossing it for a another car? I'd had my 2015 for 5 yrs and now it decides to act a monkey. I went to the dealer yesterday because my steering column vibrated while driving on the highway. Thought i needed a wheel alignment. I recently had the powertrain replace under warranty, and thought they may have misaligned my car during the process somehow. I also got new tires prior from firestone to the powertain being replace and had no issues. The dealer mechanic told me they could not align my car because my rear axle is bent and i needed struts, insinuating i hit too many potholes, and needed to replace them for $2500. I'm not a mechanic, but I'll turn into one in a sec to save $2500 i do not have. I've read some stories here and notice it's been a problem for years with these cars. How exactly do i fix this problem? Thank you in advance for your advice.

This is the specs sheet they gave me:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Get another shop’s opinion on the alignment (as if never visiting the dealer).
I have a 2012 Pop with BC Coilovers that I installed. So...what rear axle is the dealership referring to on a Front Wheel Drive car?
The Fiat 500 rear wheels roll or follow independently/are not connect by an axle.
I just woke up so excuse my question. As many times as I’ve been under the rear of my Pop, I’ve never seen an (actual) axle.
Are your front wheels exhibiting Toe Out.
I once needed my 500 driven from an airport dropoff resulting in a later need for a control arm replacement. Still cannot imagine the size of THAT pot hole. Put up photos of your front wheels from front of car when possible.
And check your lug bolts. Stripped/not secure lug bolts will have you thinking all sorts of car woes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get another shop’s opinion on the alignment (as if never visiting the dealer).
I have a 2012 Pop with BC Coilovers that I installed. So...what rear axle is the dealership referring to on a Front Wheel Drive car?
The Fiat 500 rear wheels roll or follow independently/are not connect by an axle.
I just woke up so excuse my question. As many times as I’ve been under the rear of my Pop, I’ve never seen an (actual) axle.
Are your front wheels exhibiting Toe Out.
I once needed my 500 driven from an airport dropoff resulting in a later need for a control arm replacement. Still cannot imagine the size of THAT pot hole. Put up photos of your front wheels from front of car when possible.
And check your lug bolts. Stripped/not secure lug bolts will have you thinking all sorts of car woes.
I'll make an attempt to get the pictures in a few hours. I do need struts especially on the driver side. Here is the form part where the issue was described.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you guys give me sound advice because i am lingering between fixing my fiat or tossing it for a another car? I'd had my 2015 for 5 yrs and now it decides to act a monkey. I went to the dealer yesterday because my steering column vibrated while driving on the highway. Thought i needed a wheel alignment. I recently had the powertrain replace under warranty, and thought they may have misaligned my car during the process somehow. I also got new tires prior from firestone to the powertain being replace and had no issues. The dealer mechanic told me they could not align my car because my rear axle is bent and i needed struts, insinuating i hit too many potholes, and needed to replace them for $2500. I'm not a mechanic, but I'll turn into one in a sec to save $2500 i do not have. I've read some stories here and notice it's been a problem for years with these cars. How exactly do i fix this problem? Thank you in advance for your advice.

View attachment 109520
I cannot tell on the front but i can tell in the back. The back wheels go in at the top and out at the bottom. Where is my beam bent at??

Attachments

·
Registered
767 Posts
What part of the country are you in? I'd take it somewhere else and get another opinion. There are shim kits available to align the rear. Sometimes two kits are needed. Solved my issues.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Jesus. Okay here you go - the rear alignment is not adjustable except by using the shims. Shims are are official Mopar parts. The rear axle beam is basically the whole bit that wheels, breaks, and suspension attach to, and often found to be bent on earlier models (there were a lot of speculations about transporting issues), and often slightly misaligned even on the later models. Fiat quality control. Yours isn't that out of whack, so you definitely don't need to replace that whole bit, that's just the dealer being a fucking idiot, the shims will do the job. As for the front, there is a camber adjustment bolts from Mopar, again, official part specifically to remedy the alignment issue. The dealer you went to have no clue what they are doing is the answer. No wonder Fiat tanked in the US.

·
Registered
41 Posts

View attachment 109520
Check these first: have each wheel taken off and checked for imbalance/ out of true on the tire balancing machine...I had that done, and found both rear rims had slight dents that caused vibration through the steering wheel at 70 mph... replaced them both, rebalanced them all , good to go...

·
Registered
234 Posts
Check these first: have each wheel taken off and checked for imbalance/ out of true on the tire balancing machine...I had that done, and found both rear rims had slight dents that caused vibration through the steering wheel at 70 mph... replaced them both, rebalanced them all , good to go...
Wonderful. Glad you worked it out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts