Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in another thread but it's kind buried and I thought it deserved it's own thread.

I ordered from Fiat dealer on 7/06. The car came in on 8/19 and was supposed be ready the following week. I made a big mistake by signing the papers ahead of time before the car was ready for delivery, but up until that point everything was going fine. Now they've been paid and the communication stopped. The reason I have not taken delivery yet is I was having a custom leather interior put in along with heated seats...I was told a couple days.

I also was having the windows tinted which was "supposedly" to be rolled up into a package also including the Valugard undercoating, convertible top protection, leather protection for the new leather interior and paint sealant for $895, but with $500 of that $895 applicable towards credit for the Abarth when I trade up in a year or two. Sounded reasonable enough.

Then yesterday I get an email saying, well the window tint company never us called them back, but we're going to expedite all the Valugard treatments and I could get the tinting done on my own at my expense since it would't be that much. I sent an email saying NOT, to immediately cancel the Valugard altogether and I would take care of the tinting myself. I e-mailed 4 times since yesterday and have received no response. I called and was told the salesman was out, but they would look into it and return my call in a little while, but it never happened.

Now I have to go out of town for 3 days and won't be back until the weekend. I've yet to take delivery, but have done all the paperwork, so my guess is I'm less important than new sales, that's what it speaks to me anyway. I paid my $3000 deposit via credit card so at least that's better than a check.

Another thing is when I briefly drove the car, I noticed a pretty bad shimmy starting around 25 mph. I asked it be checked out and was quickly brushed off as nothing to worry about, they would take care of it, no problem. I also forgot to mention that the excuse I was told why it was delayed was because whoever was doing the interior people had screwed something up with my ambient lighting and something had to be redone.

I'm now wondering if they didn't maybe screw something else up big time or the shimmy is a big problem. One thing for sure, they are avoiding me like the plague and they know I'll be gone for a few days, perhaps enough time to cover something up.

I think I smell a rat, what do you guys think? Am I just being paranoid here?

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
NO, you're NOT being paranoid. BUT this is more serious than something you can solve by emails. it will take time out of your day, but you need to GO TO THE DEALERSHIP IN PERSON. ask to speak to the MANAGER ONLY. no more dealing with your sales person.

remain calm but explain everything just like you did here. allow the manager to take time to check out what's going on but DO NOT LEAVE the dealership until you're satisfied. if you still have doubts, get your deposit back and move on to another dealer. remember, you need to deal with these people for warranty and other problems that may arise and if you don't trust them now, you'll have issues with them down the road, I guarantee it.

if this is the only FIAT dealer near you, then.......forgive me for saying this, but you might consider another vehicle. you need a dealer close by for support and if they're the only game in town, again, you might regret it later.

not sure where in KY you are, but you also have options in Cincy and the southside of Indy in Greenwood. not close but they are options. I got mine at O'Briens in Greenwood Indiana and they're the BEST.

best of luck to you and pls keep us posted. I hope you get your FIAT but most of all, I hope you're HAPPY with it once you get it. :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Can you walk away from this deal or are you bound by the contract. I know where I live we have a "no cooling off period" once it's signed it's done.

I agree with the post above torpedo this deal and go to another dealer!

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure if I can back out. I'm a KY resident and I purchased in Ohio. I signed the paperwork for the loan and title transfer but I have not taken delivery.

Everything was going pretty smooth and then bam, all this.

·
Registered
65 Posts
call fiat they will get all fix fast no bull just call fiat i do not have the # but i did and they fit it in 2 day and took care of me not the dealer they call the dealer set it all up they do not like dealer like this and they will fix it all and u will be happy

·
Registered
211 Posts
never never do the leather or paint sealant, complete scam. do the tint urself. i would not do the undercoat either.....just get ur car stock and mod it later....

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, no contact from the dealer.

I flew out of town until Friday, no e-mails and my wife says no calls.

I'm wondering if Fiat HQ is open on Saturday, if not with Labor Day it may be Tuesday before I can initiate an inquiry.

·
Registered
65 Posts
ya tweak is right i had a bad thing my side ground effect come off shop said thats the way it is i did like that call fiat with in 3 days new ground effect look nice now

·
Registered
75 Posts
I would write a letter to the owner of Fiat. I would also call your locale TV station about 'consumer affairs' - as most TV stations have one reporter that does that. The guy here in Portland is Ed Teachout. Get your story known, and believe you me - your new Fiat will come wrapped in gold ribbon with money inside for you. Make noise, be the squeaky wheel - and amp up your squeak about 1000 percent more - to be heard....Do it...engage!

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Not sure if I can back out. I'm a KY resident and I purchased in Ohio. I signed the paperwork for the loan and title transfer but I have not taken delivery.

Everything was going pretty smooth and then bam, all this.
at this point, the clock is ticking on when your payment comes due. I would contact the lender IMMEDIATELY and inform them that your dealer has not delivered the car to you due to issues installing the accessories that they have charged you for and that its been days and they will not return your calls.

maybe they can put some pressure on the dealer too.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The first payment is due Oct 9th, so I have a little time.

I won't return until late Friday night, but I'm off all next week so I will have plenty of time to seek a resolution.

I talked to my wife and she said the salesperson called this afternoon and left a message. She said he acted nonchalant like nothing was wrong and said he had just now checked his e-mail and was off on Tuesday and Wednesday.

We're not buying it. We know his e-mail goes to his phone, and who doesn't check mail that carries a phone these days? That and I was told Tuesday morning by the dealership that he doesn't come in until 10am.

The message says to give him a call. Wondering if I should call him, call the dealership or call Fiat.

Is there a reason why I shouldn't call and probe?

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a feeling I'm in for a fight with the Valugard crap.

If they don't drop the charges then I'll just ask them order me a new one and start rattling cages if they balk.

Way too much money to be crapped on by a dealer.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just got off the phone with the salesperson.

Here's the low down.

I thought about how I could amicably resolve the mess so I could just get my car and get this ordeal over with.

I offered to pay $500 towards the $895 Valugard treatment just for closures sake but was told no.

I was basically told all of you are idiots that you don't know what you're talking about and he has a signed contract and they're not willing to work with me whatsoever.

They denied that my window tinting was part of the deal when I know for a fact that it was.

Lied to me saying he went over everything I was charged for. Total bull.

He basically said he could care less what I do.

So now, I'm being forced to go from someone who was willing to compromise to full blown squeaky wheel.

Guy even had the nerve to say he'd still give me $500 credit towards the Abarth when I buy it.

What a tool, he even admitted most of the $895 charge was profit but said he only made $800 on the deal from Fiat and didn't feel a bit bad about reaming me for the extra loot.

·
Registered
825 Posts
No matter how it turns out, make sure he understands that you're still trading up for the Abarth in a year - just not at King's. More importantly, make sure the manager knows. He probably already knows he's lost any future business, so maybe it won't make any difference, who knows?

Make sure he knows you're posting your experience here and you already know one other person who tells everyone he can not to buy there (that's me, and I do).

Drive that Abarth there once a month as a reminder. That's why I drove in to see them after I bought mine at Boyd's, so they could learn that bad business costs business. I guess they didn't learn that.

I'd point out how much attention the car brings, and that when people ask you about it, the first thing you'll say is, "Don't buy at King's!"

I'm sorry you're having this difficulty. My next call would be to FIAT.

·
Registered
211 Posts
They wont care if you tell people not to go there, they will still sell cars. U have to be careful when dealing with dealerships. they r there to make money...period. i had a very good purchase through fremont fiat. i paid msrp no deal was to be made. i picked the car up as is, no extras put on by them. unless its written down on a due bill they will not do the work. was ur tint on a due bill..? their tech (only one) was great talked to him for about 45 minutes about the 500's, any problems, things to look out for. confirmed that 4 oil changes for free r about it. u can do them every 2k if u want. mopar is using dino oil for the changes right now. he was shocked. but... back to the point, just be carful when ur spending your money.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They wont care if you tell people not to go there, they will still sell cars. U have to be careful when dealing with dealerships. they r there to make money...period. i had a very good purchase through fremont fiat. i paid msrp no deal was to be made. i picked the car up as is, no extras put on by them. unless its written down on a due bill they will not do the work. was ur tint on a due bill..? their tech (only one) was great talked to him for about 45 minutes about the 500's, any problems, things to look out for. confirmed that 4 oil changes for free r about it. u can do them every 2k if u want. mopar is using dino oil for the changes right now. he was shocked. but... back to the point, just be carful when ur spending your money.
That's just it, we weren't presented with a due bill, just a price added to the contract. They basically made things up as it went along. The only type of protection we were interested in was for the convertible top. The guy laughed at the fact that he was able to trick me into making him more profit.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts