Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took in my 2015 Abarth for an oil change at a dealership that I had used before because I was traveling to Massachusetts this weekend and needed it done quickly. Car has 84,000 miles and was in perfect working order. They change my oil, take it off the lift, and all of a sudden it won’t shift into gear. The manager tells me the shifter cable bushing is broken. He states it is “normal wear and tear” and just a “coincidence that it happened when we were working on it” and that I was “lucky it happened here”. The part was unavailable until the middle of next week, and I was quoted $430 for the repair I would be fully responsible for. Mind you, I brought my car in for an OIL CHANGE, and ended up stranded at the dealer with a now broken car, unable to get a rental car, and they stated there was “nothing they could do”. The manager states the tech “knows how to drive manual” and that they were not responsible. Does this seem fishy to anyone else? I already opened a complaint with Fiat of America. Is there anything else I should do? I’ll refrain from naming the dealership (for now).

·
Registered
13,511 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Sorry about your issue. The dealership, changing the oil, wouldn’t have damage your shift cable.
Your car has 84K miles on the clock. Basically the shift cable, is wear and tear item. I really doubt Fiat of America, will solve your problem. Your just going to have your car fix.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I totally get that it’s a wear and tear item and would have likely needed to be replaced soon. Just don’t understand how I can park the car with no issues, and the person driving it 100 yards to the garage manages to break it. If I didn’t take it for the oil change that day and let them drive it, my car would in all likelihood still be working.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I totally get that it’s a wear and tear item and would have likely needed to be replaced soon. Just don’t understand how I can park the car with no issues, and the person driving it 100 yards to the garage manages to break it. If I didn’t take it for the oil change that day and let them drive it, my car would in all likelihood still be working.
Man, I get what you are saying, but really, statistically, it's just a simple coincident. And to be honest with you, you probably had been lucky that it broke there instead of on the road. The thing is, shifter cable bushing is not something that you can break easily by trying, so they probably didn't break it, it just broke at that time.

Having said that though, $430 for repair is a bit much. The bushing is like $20-30? And it's not four hour job.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Man, I get what you are saying, but really, statistically, it's just a simple coincident. And to be honest with you, you probably had been lucky that it broke there instead of on the road. The thing is, shifter cable bushing is not something that you can break easily by trying, so they probably didn't break it, it just broke at that time.

Having said that though, $430 for repair is a bit much. The bushing is like $20-30? And it's not four hour job.
thank you, that is helpful information! Do you think the worn out bushing could have been pushed over the edge by someone who doesn’t know how to drive manual trying to drive it? Because that’s my hunch on what happened.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
thank you, that is helpful information! Do you think the worn out bushing could have been pushed over the edge by someone who doesn’t know how to drive manual trying to drive it? Because that’s my hunch on what happened.
I'd want to tell you that that's exactly the case, just to ease your sorrow. But likely not, it is extremely unlikely that an inexperienced driver can break the bushing, even worn. I really think it's an unlucky coincident.

Now though - the sin of it actually should be thrown at Fiat's quality control. I mean, how often do you hear shifter bushing going bad at 80k miles? And premature wear on the bushing is not uncommon issue with our cars.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Some shifter bushings are under recall. Mine failed in my driveway 3 years ago at 100k miles.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Some shifter bushings are under recall. Mine failed in my driveway 3 years ago at 100k miles.

That's for auto trans.

·
Registered
13,511 Posts

Ditto that recall, is for the 6 speed automatic transmission. I got the recall on my car. The Op has a manual transmission. He’s shift cable finally failed, at 84K miles. There isn’t a manufacturer recall, on wear and tear parts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I took in my 2015 Abarth for an oil change at a dealership that I had used before because I was traveling to Massachusetts this weekend and needed it done quickly. Car has 84,000 miles and was in perfect working order. They change my oil, take it off the lift, and all of a sudden it won’t shift into gear. The manager tells me the shifter cable bushing is broken. He states it is “normal wear and tear” and just a “coincidence that it happened when we were working on it” and that I was “lucky it happened here”. The part was unavailable until the middle of next week, and I was quoted $430 for the repair I would be fully responsible for. Mind you, I brought my car in for an OIL CHANGE, and ended up stranded at the dealer with a now broken car, unable to get a rental car, and they stated there was “nothing they could do”. The manager states the tech “knows how to drive manual” and that they were not responsible. Does this seem fishy to anyone else? I already opened a complaint with Fiat of America. Is there anything else I should do? I’ll refrain from naming the dealership (for now).
Sorry to hear this & greetings from Massachusetts where my attempt to find a fiat dealer has been unsuccessful.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Sorry to hear this & greetings from Massachusetts where my attempt to find a fiat dealer has been unsuccessful.
Have you tried Central Fiat of Norwood? I haven't been back there in more than an year, but they were by far the best Fiat dealers withing "somewhat" reasonable driving distance.

Admittedly, the bar is wicked low...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Was your shifting routine in the car getting "stickier"? Not able to get into the next gear without a bit of push and shove?

One of my bushing went at about 50,000 miles. Left me stranded by the side of the road, no 1st or 2nd (if I remember correctly...if I had either I could have gotten it home).

I had been ignoring a "sticky" shift for some time. This seems to be a common issue, like the external for hinges, rear wheel bearings, trim pieces detaching from the car. I've had all of them. 2013 Abarth, about 66,000 on it at this time.

Your $400+ repair is for an entire shift cable replacement. Cable itself at dealer quote is about $240, then labor. So $400+ doesn't seem to be too much.

Bushings are available, eBay, Amazon. Relatively cheap, but not all that easy to install.

I've done mine, after towing it home it sat in the driveway for a few days waiting for Amazon to deliver. No way was I going to pay a $400+ repair for $30 worth of parts.

It wasn't easy. Pull the battery, and all of the cable tie downs, battery box, other items in the area. Get to the linkage area and there's little area for anyone with larger than kid hands to work in. It can be done...but it'll take time.

I replaced only the one that had popped off, due to weather and time. I should have done both, the shift pattern is getting stickier again. I was just in there changing the upstream O2 sensor, I should have done the bushing also. Again, time, weather.

My feeling is that the dealership did not break your car, and the fact that you got 84,000 miles before yours went bad was impressive. Mine may have gone bad earlier due to my putting in a NuFi (Spelling ?) short shift kit at time of
purchase...

So, I would attribute this to the cost of owning this fun car. I'd do it again, though I may be getting ready to pass mine on to a new owner due to knee issues. Possibly going to my daughter, but I'm hesitating due to her propensity to run over items larger than 4".

I'm sure you do not like this reply, but I felt a need to chime in. I detest dealerships, but they're not always the bad guys.

Good luck in the future with your Abarth.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I took mine info for wheel alignment and the same thing happened. The technician took it for a test drive and I believe he was power shifting and I had to replace both cables. This was at Firestone service center. The manager said it wasn't their fault. First gear would not work so I had to bring the revs up and start in 2nd gear

·
Registered
16 Posts
sounds like something covered under warranty or if that is expired, you could have bought extended warranty. the shift cable and changing oil dont seem related at all. sounds like a coincidence and you are lucky it happened there and not on the road and stranded.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts