Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I totally get that it’s a wear and tear item and would have likely needed to be replaced soon. Just don’t understand how I can park the car with no issues, and the person driving it 100 yards to the garage manages to break it. If I didn’t take it for the oil change that day and let them drive it, my car would in all likelihood still be working.
Man, I get what you are saying, but really, statistically, it's just a simple coincident. And to be honest with you, you probably had been lucky that it broke there instead of on the road. The thing is, shifter cable bushing is not something that you can break easily by trying, so they probably didn't break it, it just broke at that time.

Having said that though, $430 for repair is a bit much. The bushing is like $20-30? And it's not four hour job.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
thank you, that is helpful information! Do you think the worn out bushing could have been pushed over the edge by someone who doesn’t know how to drive manual trying to drive it? Because that’s my hunch on what happened.
I'd want to tell you that that's exactly the case, just to ease your sorrow. But likely not, it is extremely unlikely that an inexperienced driver can break the bushing, even worn. I really think it's an unlucky coincident.

Now though - the sin of it actually should be thrown at Fiat's quality control. I mean, how often do you hear shifter bushing going bad at 80k miles? And premature wear on the bushing is not uncommon issue with our cars.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Some shifter bushings are under recall. Mine failed in my driveway 3 years ago at 100k miles.

That's for auto trans.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Sorry to hear this & greetings from Massachusetts where my attempt to find a fiat dealer has been unsuccessful.
Have you tried Central Fiat of Norwood? I haven't been back there in more than an year, but they were by far the best Fiat dealers withing "somewhat" reasonable driving distance.

Admittedly, the bar is wicked low...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts